Crap happens

I am not looking for sympathy or advice. My bad luck and my poor choice. I'm paying for it- painfully. As I have said before, my plan is to ride each drainage to determine where the elk are and their migration path. Last wed my son and I rode out a drainage we have killed many elk in. We sawed access to most of the south side and the worked our home for dinner. As usual the motorized vehicles had torn the hell out of the old trails. With the heavy rains it was especially bad. We did our best to get around one boggy area. Fifty ft off the trail we tried to bypass the bog. My little mare sunk neck deep and floundered three times before getting footing. The other side of the hill wasn't as bad but we still struggled to find a way around.

We finally got to the creek crossing at the bottom of the trail. The creek was about 18-20 " deeper than usual. My mare tried but lost her footing and fell three times. The last time I bailed off before she could get up and last my footing and fell into a boulder field with my feet uphill. My son got the horses up and then rescued me. In severe pain I rode the two miles to the truck where I struggled to get into the passenger seat.

I tried it at home for a while and finally went into the hospital. 5 broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. Good care and great drugs. Sneezing is memorable. Chest tube is out, back on a horse by friday or saturday.

I would have died without my son's help. I'm tough but not tough enough for all horse wrecks. Be carefull out there.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That sucks. Glad you are recovering. Thats a pretty large lung colapse to get a chest tube.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Glad you are posting about your experience, as unpleasant as it was, and not a "Anybody heard from @Pony Soldier , he hasn't logged on in a while." thread.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Eddie

Dented

WKR
Pony,
You must be one stubborn guy. Ribs and lung, been there done that. Had a ride in a meat wagon to get help. Good story, glad to hear your okay. 😁👍🏻

rayporter

WKR
sweat dries
blood clots
bones heal

only tough ol codgers ride!

heal fast! there are miles yet to go.

after one fell with me i started to carry the in reach on my belt instead of in the horn bag.

OP
P
The challenge will be to see if I can get on the horse by friday. I have drugs for the rest. Keep on hunting folks!

elkguide

WKR
Don't push it too fast or you can end up with long term issues. (don't ask me how I know)
good luck healing up and getting back out there.

OP
P
Horse had a minor cut on the fetlock (scratch) . She's a tough girl. I just don't bounce on the boulders like I used to.

I laid up for a week to get past the whole body spasms. I just finished loading a tractor bucket of wood onto the porch. My speed was slower and I had to take a couple of breaks to ponder the world. Recovery requires participation.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Your posts are the only reason I look at this site. Glad you're doing ok and not quitting.

Coues123

FNG
Anybody who has broken ribs in a horse wreck miles from the truck feels your pain. The coughing and laughing pain will be awhile. That's amazing you're trying to get back on that quick.
Good luck on your quick recovery.

t_carlson

WKR
Glad you're ok.

Yes, rib injuries are terrible. You feel a sneeze or a cough coming on and know there's nothing you can do to stop a sledgehammer from whacking you in the chest. Ouch!