Crocs or a water/trail shoe

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
For my upcoming NWT sheep hunt, are crocs adequate or should I consider a water/trail shoe for crossing rivers and as a back up to my boots. If a trail water shoe, which one have you all used. Again another idea from a pod cast I heard.

Wapiti1

WKR
For camp shoes and water crossings, Crocs work fine.

Just my opinion, the I like slip over waders instead. If you have frequent crossings, taking off your boots and putting them back on is a PITA. If you can find them, NEOS river trekkers (discontinued), or Wiggys waders. The Wiggys are a one trip item and will get holes in them, but they will keep you dry enough.

Jeremy

Jimss

WKR
I would ask your guide what he recommends? He likely knows how many creek crossings and how deep is the water, etc. I always try to figure out a strategy for eliminating rather than adding gear. If you aren't doing many crossings and want your boots/socks to remain dry it's fairly easy to take them off and cross a creek. Obviously if there are a bunch of crossings it would be a hassle. I've seen a pair of gortex booties that have a little tread on the bottom...forgot what they are called. Those may work but are more weight/bulk to haul.

mtnhmr

FNG
Crocs + Contractor garbage bags.

Don't wanna take boots off, use bags for crossings, they'll hold up for a few creeks or so.

Crocs shine due to the weight, comfort, simplicity.

Ram94

WKR
X2 for the crocs and contractor bags. Crocs double as camp shoes and bags come in handy for all sorts of things.

*zap*

WKR
Neoprene dive booties are good for water crossing and warmer than crocks for around camp. Could also be used for the hike out if something goes wrong with your boots.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect excuse to buy a pair of crocs you always wanted to rock and then you have a good reason when your buddies give you Sh@@

I'm a fan of crocs, I do catch a lot of slack for them though from buddies. That is until I am enjoying camp with them on and they are walking around in some bare feet hating life because the flip flops they brought broke...…..

Been rocking these guys the last few weeks. Quite comfy and don’t look like crocs at first glance. Be careful though. You May have to get some bear spray or something to fend off the ladies once they catch a glimpse.

Jimss

WKR
Another good use for crocs is at home...easy to slip on and do outside work chores. As mentioned above, you may have to look out....your wife may attack you wearing those saxy thangs!

K

Kootenay Hunter

Crocs: the holes is where your dignity leaks out....

I held out for so long, but they are comfy for camp shoes and water stuff. There's a bunch of hardcores that swear by crocs n socks...a good pair of wool socks, and hunt in them all season.

For the record, I only use them as utility...never out in 'public' :p

Trial153

WKR
Keen has new shoe that fits the bill for camp and water crossing. On par with crocs but lighter. Not a light and flimsy as dawgs

Keen has new shoe that fits the bill for camp and water crossing. On par with crocs but lighter. Not a light and flimsy as dawgs

The ones without heel straps? I get a little worried about foregoing the heel straps for creek crossings.