Crossing Canda border

sivart

WKR
Going spring bear for first time. I have my passport. Is there anything else I need to worry about?

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
Just passport, if carrying a rifle you'll have to declare it and pay a fee and paperwork. Bow no worry. And declare any tobacco, booze.
Do not take any hanggun!

Tmac

WKR
If you are bringing a weapon, you need some forms filled out. They don’t like weapons. Pistols are a big no no. I’ve been searched, as in vehicle emptied and bags opened, once in my five crossings to hunt. They asked if I had any weapons or ammo in my truck, they were not joking around. Clean out all loose ammo from your rig is my advice.

Bring the contract with your outfitter, they may ask for the name, maybe to see the paperwork.

Search for a recent thread and comments from Travis Hobbs about travel to Canada. Good info there.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
High end glass and camera, you will want to fill out paperwork also before hand so they can't claim tariff on the way back through. Get ahold of the nearest border crossing, Canadian side, and they will set you up with what you need.

Jkean949

FNG
I just cancelled a Canada hunt because of a misdemeanor dui from 25 years ago...nothing else on my record. It required two different lawyers one to run down my info in California and a Canadian one to write a letter saying I was rehabilitated, and an FBI criminal report that you get to fill out a bunch of paperwork for and go get fingerprinted at the sheriff's or certain post offices.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m also planning a trip to Alaska this year and I plan to drive and cross the Canadian border. Aside from the firearm/ammo issue, is there any types of foods that they frown upon? I plan to bring Mountain House type of meals and dry foods along with water and soda. Any issues with any of those items?

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
I just cancelled a Canada hunt because of a misdemeanor dui from 25 years ago...nothing else on my record. It required two different lawyers one to run down my info in California and a Canadian one to write a letter saying I was rehabilitated, and an FBI criminal report that you get to fill out a bunch of paperwork for and go get fingerprinted at the sheriff's or certain post offices.
That's weird that long ago. I had a dui in 1991. Didn't hunt Canada till 2008 I believe. No problem getting through.
Who told you this? Where would you he crossing border?

Clrems77

WKR
Contract with your outfitter is key. We got held up at the border for this one in MT. No handguns and paperwork if bringing rifles as others have mentioned.

Handgun they don’t allow. If they find it they will seize it, but you can pick it up when you cross back to the us it’s not like they throw you in jail. I’ve been across the border and declared a long gun a dozen times and there’s no paperwork. Have the rifle in the back seat visible and roll the window down, then roll on through.

Handgun they don’t allow. If they find it they will seize it, but you can pick it up when you cross back to the us it’s not like they throw you in jail. I’ve been across the border and declared a long gun a dozen times and there’s no paperwork. Have the rifle in the back seat visible and roll the window down, then roll on through.
Friend of mine forgot he had one in the truck and they confiscated it, sent him back to US.
He did not get it back.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Contract with your outfitter is key. We got held up at the border for this one in MT. No handguns and paperwork if bringing rifles as others have mentioned.
What if you’re not using an outfitter and you’re going DIY? We're just planning to bring rifles and no handguns.

Agross

WKR
Who told you all that? I had a DUI in 2001, and a few other minor things on my record and never had to do any of that. The one time it had been 9.5 years since my dui and I had to pay them the $200 temporary resident fee. The few times since they havent said anything.

As far as a firearm, you do need to declare it and pay a fee. There is a form you have to fill out ,and don’t sign it until you are in front of them at the border. To the guy saying he didn’t have to fill out paperwork and just rolled through, I have literally never heard of that.

As far as the outfitter contract, we have never had one. They ask us what we are doing, who we are hunting with and when we will be headed back.

When you get to the border just be honest and answer their questions, don’t yuck it up and ramble on with em.

Not sure where you are crossing, but all my crossing were from Michigan to Ontario.

Don't use the word gift for anything you're bringing across. If you bring beer, cigarettes, whiskey, anything really that may seem embarrassing due to quantiles, do not say its a gift. Just say it's yours, and wala, right through.

Example......... You and your copilot bring 6 cases of beer across for a 3 day trip (excessive on paper) and when you declare it, you make a statement like "The outfitter likes Coors light" Flashing lights will go off, and you will be questioned. When they ask you to repeat, thanks to this very thread, you will say "The outfitter likes Coors light but all we brought was Bush Light so he won't drink our beer"

Enjoy, it's Canada, not Beirut!

Highly recommend against this procedure. I cross the border every day for work. Be polite, they probably won’t bend you over. There is paperwork for long guns that is a google away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handguns are restricted and some are not allowed. I crossed with a 5” red hawk a few years ago. Just go to the Canadian website. Not just Rokslide. There are answers from the official Canadian authorities.

Crazy how hard it is to get into Canada, and how easy it is to get into US.

It's always harder for me to cross the border back to Canada, CBSA doesn't mess around, our house our rules.

Unless you run guns or drugs from the US through a border rez, then by all means, stroll right in...

It's been already said, but 100% look into crossing the Canadian border as a non-resident and what paperwork is required. Don't just show up with a rifle or you're going to have a bad time. Also, our list of prohibited firearms is pretty exhaustive, don't bring in anything crazy.