Crowd Sourced Optics Comparison (CO area) ***Updated 3/9/24***

Tahoe1305

WKR
So I guess I’m bored. But 5 years ago or so I invested a good chunk of $ to purchase (then resell) a dozen or so $1000 binos and then eventually a few of the same in spotters and wrote some bro level, objective as possible, comparisons.

I know we see a lot of these online by folks who have way more resources and connections (provided from manufacturers) than I. I don’t know about you all, but I’m always a tad suspect of those based on whose getting paid for what.

Here’s what I have that I plan on comparing:

Spotters:
-Razor Gen I 65mm (I compared this five years ago and I loved it)
-Kowa 77
-STM 65
Things I think would be fun to mix in:
-Kowa 66a
-STC
-New mini Razor
-Kowa 55 (had one of these during last comparison.

The idea with the spotters is a backpacking setup and to answer the question of is size/weight worth it for a) viewing experience and b) resolution for the mission (trophy verification at x distance?). Also revisiting angled vs straight and pros/cons for each based on my needs/hunting scenarios.

For Binos I have:
EL 12x50
NL 12x42
Nikon HG 10x42
(And a few other lesser models).

Things to mix in:
Not really sure here but willing to try what others would want to see.

I haven’t really seen the 12x NL vs EL comparison I’m looking for. So for me this is to decide if the upgrade is worth it. I love my ELs. But if folks want to chip in some 15x or 10x to see how they compare I will.

Overall intent/ask:

If local folks (I live 45 min south of Denver) want to help out and look with me and/or provide glass to compare, that would be cool. I’m going to compare what I have anyway, but folks seem to always ask “ did you compare to x or y”….this is the chance to get involved with it.

Open to questions. Looking to work it in January. I have most of the equipment and methodology that I like to test. I’m sure I’ll try some new tests too.

I had a few threads on this a while back. I’ll paste the most comprehensive below.

Also to note. I can get pretty good deals on most of those listed (20-50% off). So if folks are interested in buying from me after I test, we may be able to work something out. What I don’t want is to take a big loss and or sit on $10k of inventory (my wife gets mad ;( )

***Update 3/9/24*** Rokslide Members' Giant Optics Review

Last edited by a moderator:

Beendare

WKR
I trust the Rokslide reviews where they use the USRAF resolution chart.

I also trust the S&S side by side comparisons

I don’t see any serious conflicts there

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I trust the Rokslide reviews where they use the USRAF resolution chart.

I also trust the S&S side by side comparisons

I don’t see any serious conflicts there
I use the charts. You don’t really see how they compared. Most of the time they just say one resolved more.

In my testing I like to know what that means. If the mini razor at half the weight is only one level less at a mile than say the STC or a 65mm spotter…..that’s helpful. It’s cheaper and lighter. One level at reasonable ranges is insignificant to most and worthy of consideration.

I like to quantify the differences, not just say one is better. I think most of us would agree the you get what you pay for….but what do you get?

I’m not saying I don’t trust the reviews. I’m saying it’s a data point. Most of those units are provided for reviews….it would be bad business to say they suck (not that that isn’t said sometimes). But in general we see fairly vague info. Like it’s better….usually that isn’t a surprise.

Another thing I think “we miss” with the comparisons that exist is practical use comparisons. By that I mean “I can count tines at 2 miles” or something to that effect. If that’s all you need, maybe the mini razor is good. If the Kowa 55 can but the razor can’t past 1 mile that is helpful data for some.

Last edited:

ToolMann

WKR
I'm down. Live in Parker. But I have nothing new to offer glass wise for the comparison as you already have my setup. HG 10x42 and Kowa 773. Unless you want to test some cheap Nikon Prostaff 5 10x42 that I can't get my wife to upgrade ! 🤣 Have a brand new set that we're just replaced under warranty.

svivian

WKR
I would be interested but im on the best slope

I have available
Binos:
EL 10x42
NL pure 10x42
Razor 10x42

Spotters:
ATX 95/85/65
BTX
ATC
ATS 80
Razor 11-33
Razor 13-39x56

I may be able to wrangle up a few more options from friends

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I'm down. Live in Parker. But I have nothing new to offer glass wise for the comparison as you already have my setup. HG 10x42 and Kowa 773. Unless you want to test some cheap Nikon Prostaff 5 10x42 that I can't get my wife to upgrade ! 🤣 Have a brand new set that we're just replaced under warranty.
My buddy was going to ship his 773 out….could save us the shipping I guess and could use the extra eyes.

Thinking of doing it at my cabin out by Jefferson. Could likely get some eyes on muleys without too much effort to compare. MTF.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I would be interested but im on the best slope

I have available
Binos:
EL 10x42
NL pure 10x42
Razor 10x42

Spotters:
ATX 95/85/65
BTX
ATC
ATS 80
Razor 11-33
Razor 13-39x56

I may be able to wrangle up a few more options from friends
Nice. I think the 10x swaros would be interesting to compare to what is “gained” or “lost” by the 12x.

Also could save me from snagging a razor mini and/or ATC (probably wasn’t going to front the $ for ATC…no discounts!). Open to the bigger glass, but I can’t ever see me carrying a 80mm in the field (outside of sheep)….that said others may wonder what a 80 buys you in resolution over a 65.

svivian

WKR
Nice. I think the 10x swaros would be interesting to compare to what is “gained” or “lost” by the 12x.

Also could save me from snagging a razor mini and/or ATC (probably wasn’t going to front the $ for ATC…no discounts!). Open to the bigger glass, but I can’t ever see me carrying a 80mm in the field (outside of sheep)….that said others may wonder what a 80 buys you in resolution over a 65.
Personally i have been most impressed by the ATC when it comes to spotting scopes. I think it covers most hunting situations.

Sheep or trophy gets the big glass and AZ deer hunts get the BTX

I'm interested in this, though I have 12x nls and kowa 774 which looks like you guys have covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
I think choosing between 10 or 12's in the pures is completely subjective to how you glass. I think the 12's are incredible considering they have the same FOV as the EL 10x42.

However i chose the 10's after comparison because the FOV is even larger and find myself catching movement better because im covering a larger area when glassing off of a tripod. Im always packing a spotting scope so if i need to get a more detailed look, the big glass is coming out regardless what bino magnification. Thats just my opinion and preference.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could loan you my USAF resolution chart it is much much smaller than your homemade chart

Also after testing some spotting scopes I found the tripod is definitely a viable. Next time I'll use two of the same for side by side comparisons.

You can also rent optics if there's a high end model you can't beg borrow or steal for your comparison weekend.

sndmn11

WKR
I'll play, I have a kowa 883, but even better I have a flexible schedule, a stool, and a good tripod. I can probably get Maven's new S3 for a month loaner to compare to the Kowa 66.

@Tahoe1305 this would be a really good review query to submit to @robby denning.

@TheViking @feanor @30338 are all south metro and @Ucsdryder will sometimes come down from Commerce City if there are snacks and juice promised.

TheViking

WKR
I'll play, I have a kowa 883, but even better I have a flexible schedule, a stool, and a good tripod. I can probably get Maven's new S3 for a month loaner to compare to the Kowa 66.

@Tahoe1305 this would be a really good review query to submit to @robby denning.

@TheViking @feanor @30338 are all south metro and @Ucsdryder will sometimes come down from Commerce City if there are snacks and juice promised.

I’ll play, but I don’t really have anything to offer minus a kowa 774 and a pair of Swaro SLC 10x42 binos. I would love to play with other tripods. I have. SILK and it’s awesome and light, but I’d like to play with more heavier duty ones.

I can bring snacks and smartass jokes.

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
Haven't seen a lot of comparisons of the meopta 15x B1 plus but have a pair I could lend if you'd like, would have to send from UT though.

feanor

WKR
I’m north Colorado Springs, but only have some razor hd 10x42. I’m trying NOT to handle better optics haha. I have a slik 634 tripod and a home machined light weight head. So if anybody is interested in the limited options I have, I can show up.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m north Colorado Springs, but only have some razor hd 10x42. I’m trying NOT to handle better optics haha. I have a slik 634 tripod and a home machined light weight head. So if anybody is interested in the limited options I have, I can show up.
Strong strategy….those razors are what sparked the spending spree 5 years ago. I liked them a lot. But once I got the ELs…..

BL don’t come!

We are probably neighbors btw.