Custom Rifle full or semi

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Hells Canyon, Hill Country, Alamo, GAP, TS Customs,
Really like Hill Country Huntsman fully bedded tikka actions, carbon barrels but they’re almost touching full custom price tags. Don’t see much chatter on them either.
HCA tikka build is better price point but not sure on the mesa stocks available and if bedded. Mike seems like a solid guy though, been responsive.

Alamo looks ok but 26” barrel on available 6.5prc with my can might be a bit long. Could build to my spec, similar to HCA…..

Any thoughts? I’m not qualified to build my own so I don’t need individual component prices. Willing to pay for ease of mind.
Anyone been down this rabbit hole or could add some smith’s to my list?

I paid a whopping $250 for my last like-new stainless Tikka action (after buying the full rifle and parting it out). Another $1100 for a Stocky’s VG and prefit barrel, which are all screw on pieces. Bam: a semi-custom Tikka for only $1350.

Get whatever you want.

I happen to have a full custom build on a REM 700 action in 308.

At the range today, my backup 308 REM 700 ADL synthetic out shot it.

Unknown munitions makes full customs and they’re starting to make semi custom tikkas as well. It would be worth reaching out to them to spec something out

I personally really like tikka action and have built two semi customs on them. Both are sub half moa. I think it comes down to what action you like and stock you like. Tikka paired with allterra stock is my personal choice. I built one with a proof carbon barrel, the other I put a superlite takeoff on. The factory takeoff barrel usually shoots closer to 1/4moa. ~$500 for the action, ~$1,000 for allterra stock, $700 prefit, $300 in smith charges. $2500 at most, but both of mine were <$2000. If you need a guy to put it all together, send it to fritz at black canyon customs.

What is it specifically you want out of this rifle? Any custom i've had made was because there wasn't a factory rifle available with the chamber (cartridge/freebore)/barrel (twist/length/contour)/stock that I wanted. For 6.5 PRC, the seekins havak element or PH2 are intriguing options if you're considering a m700 platform build.

My take on the options you listed:

-Hill country huntsman - I don't like the drop at heel on the stock and you could spend that much and spec out exactly what you want in a build.
-HCA - had a full custom tikka done there and wasn't satisfied. My rifle didn't have a mesa stock and I wouldn't want one that did because they are poorly designed for managing recoil
-Alamo - no experience
-GAP - positive impression on product overall but when I wanted to order my first custom years ago there was nobody that had the time to take my order. Might give them another shot in the future.
-TSCustom - Have 3 rifles with TSCustoms chambered barrels currently, all perform well and the purchase experience was easy. That said, Travis continues to be a loyal partner of Muley Freak and I wont give more $ to someone using Muley Freak to drive business.

Another thought!

A lot of guys get hung up on a custom rifle. Then put a cheap scope on the rifle.

For long range shooting that doesn't work.

A straight Tikka T3 with a threaded barrel and a fiberglass stock or chassis is super.

Spend $2000-4500 on the optic and reap the benefit.

The goal is to wear out barrels.

While I don’t own an Alamo, I live 30mins from their shop. These guys are professional and will ensure you get what you want. I’ve spoken with them and been in to check things out. I would not hesitate to call them. You may find them competitive in price and I’m not sure I’ve seen a bad word said about them

HCA is the only builder Iv used that I would never send work to again.

Nothing wrong with building off a tikka action if you have one, most gunsmiths can handle a tikka build.

What went wrong (assuming something did by your comments)?

Yours is the first negative review I’ve heard about him. You can PM if you care to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While I don’t own an Alamo, I live 30mins from their shop. These guys are professional and will ensure you get what you want. I’ve spoken with them and been in to check things out. I would not hesitate to call them. You may find them competitive in price and I’m not sure I’ve seen a bad word said about them

Alamo recently hired a new machinist that is a perfectionist. He does or used to build barrels with a lathe and not CNC machine.

That may have changed since going to Alamo since they use CNC to do most of not all of their barrel work.

Yours is the first negative review I’ve heard about him. You can PM if you care to share.

I have no issue sharing publicly. In fact it’s good to be out there because when I sent my money and rifle in I’d assumed that I have done a satisfactory job vetting, but that wasn’t the case.

I send in a 243 lite tikka, paid for a rebarrel to 6.5cm in carbon (his barrel) to be bedded in an alpine hunter (ordered by him) and to be cerakoted.

I paid a chunk early as requested to secure my “spot”

Timeline: the rifle was expected to be complete in March. I got it for the first time in June. Not a huge deal, not something I was upset about, but a gripe.

When I initially received the rifle, it would not feed. The rear action screw only was held on by a revolution on the torque wrench, only had a little over a thread engaging the rear of the action. The inlet was messed up, and it was bedded that way. The rifle did not function as the feed lips of the mag sat low. The bed job also looked like crap.

Wanted me to ship the stock to AG, didn’t really provide a decent option for other than a refund on it or waiting again for another stock. So I ordered a krg bravo to throw it in.

Got the krg. Secured the action and could not get the rifle to shoot. 60 plus rounds of different factory, all sub par, like 2 moa bad. On top of that. With a 20moa rail and a 30mm scope (multiple) I was on the last mil to even zero. He didn’t see this as a problem as it could be solved by a 0 moa rail but I’d question a barrel that I can’t zero with an swfa 3-9 nor a nightforce shv with a 20moa rail installed. Anyways I contacted him in regards to accuracy and he had me send the rifle in with the bravo to check.

He gets the rifle, shoots it eventually, took a few months if I remember, and he decides to re barrel it. So now I wait, now till December when I receive the rifle back. I’m well over a year now. Barrel is not a tikka spec chamber, it’s got a 1.2” shank, not a huge deal but not what I ordered.

Now I had to request a refund for shipping, and the bed job. I got a partial refund after putting up a bit of a stink. He did offer to bed the krg for that end of his deal but no way was I going to have him bed my chassis after he bedded a non functioning stock.

Next barrel appeared to shoot okay, but caused strange pressure, with everything. I shot it a bunch, but could not shoot a 10 shot string without pressure. Wrecked 130 bucks in Lapua brass and shot some factory before I realized that the problem was the barrel. Iv loaded for a lot of 6.5 creedmoor and even mild loads and factory would cause stiff bolt lift by shot 7 or 8.

So i gave up and bought a prefit, screwed it on and now it’s shooting awsome. I have a 1200$ barrel sitting around that I will never use and a smith that I don’t even trust to remedy the situation. I won’t even sell the thing because I don’t believe it’s safe.

I’m not the only one that similar had happened to either. I got plenty of PMs regarding HCA.

That’s the short story.

I’ve only done one custom. Had a short barreled 300 wm built by Alamo and was happy with the service and product. They even tried to work with me to modify the build specs to speed it up as I was worried about getting hosed by measure 114 here in Oregon. As with most builds the components were the critical path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People like Chad Dixon that have great customer service on the mail it away option are really worth their salt.

What is it specifically you want out of this rifle? Any custom i've had made was because there wasn't a factory rifle available with the chamber (cartridge/freebore)/barrel (twist/length/contour)/stock that I wanted. For 6.5 PRC, the seekins havak element or PH2 are intriguing options if you're considering a m700 platform build.

My take on the options you listed:

-Hill country huntsman - I don't like the drop at heel on the stock and you could spend that much and spec out exactly what you want in a build.
-HCA - had a full custom tikka done there and wasn't satisfied. My rifle didn't have a mesa stock and I wouldn't want one that did because they are poorly designed for managing recoil
-Alamo - no experience
-GAP - positive impression on product overall but when I wanted to order my first custom years ago there was nobody that had the time to take my order. Might give them another shot in the future.
-TSCustom - Have 3 rifles with TSCustoms chambered barrels currently, all perform well and the purchase experience was easy. That said, Travis continues to be a loyal partner of Muley Freak and I wont give more $ to someone using Muley Freak to drive business.
I guess from an on hand inventory perspective, it seems each rifle has something I like but just one year away from having everything I want. If that make sense.
Seekins, Proof, Cooper, Springfield, Bergara Premiers, they are all close but the prices start narrowing the gap in semi custom builds.
I’m not 100% sold on 6.5prc I guess either but I didn’t want a, “which rifle and caliber” in same thread. If I can find the rifle/builder I’ll do some more research and hone in on lead times and availability.
I do not reload either so that steers some of the decision making.
2800-3800 would be budget on rifle alone.
Just trying to make sure I’m not missing some options out there I guess!

I have built three custom rifles……unless you are looking for custom wood, beautiful engraving work, and a true work of art…….just buy a nice factory rifle that will shoot better than you can. Todays factory offerings are as good as a custom was 10 years ago at a fraction of the cost.

Back