Cut my barrel or re-barrel and sell the old one?

What's up guys?

So I have a dilemma… I have a Seekins Precision Havak PH2 chambered in 7 PRC that is my main hunting gun. It has a 26 inch barrel And I would like to shoot suppressed, but obviously a 26 inch barrel plus a 6 inch suppressor is going to be a pain in the ass in a hunting blind, so obviously I need a shorter barrel. I'm thinking of either cutting it to around 22 inches, or re-barreling it and selling the old barrel.
The reason I'm contemplating re-barreling instead of cutting it down is because I've read a few posts saying that after they cut the barrel they had accuracy issues. Now, I know different barrel/chamber/rifle/whatever combinations shoot different ammo better or worse, so idk, I'm kind of stuck. Anyone have any input/experiences to share?

Thanks!

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
One man's opinion here, but with the deep fluting in that factory barrel, I doubt it would cut down well. You're probably better off swapping barrels. Not financially better off, of course, but that's part of the game.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
One man's opinion here, but with the deep fluting in that factory barrel, I doubt it would cut down well. You're probably better off swapping barrels. Not financially better off, of course, but that's part of the game.
Not gonna lie, I didn't even think about that. That's a really good point. Any recommended barrel manufacturers?

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know anything about the Seekins action, but word is that their customer service department is easy to work with for gunsmithing needs. Try contacting them directly, they might make a barrel or tell you who could.

MTTJ

FNG
I contacted Seekins a week or so ago and they were very helpful. Indicated they were out for the holidays until 1/2 though, so likely won’t get an answer until then from them if you reach out.

Seekins won’t just do a swap. They said they could only get me a shorter barrel if I ordered a complete custom gun. Doesn’t really make sense to me..
That sounds like some sort of a communications error. Several people here on RS have done it and the rep at the Sheep Show told me about it. For what its worth I have not had one swapped but you might contact them again.

Sandstrom

WKR
I would cut it down and see how it shoots, what do you have to lose for around $100? If it doesn’t shoot to your standards, or is to long you have a better idea of exactly what you want. Also, the 7PRC is old news, everyone knows the 7PRCW is hot right now:)
Ryan

I talked to Unknown Munitions about cutting down a PH2 and was told it was no problem to cut and re-thread
That’s good news. Been trying to find someone who is willing to cut down my seekins element. I’ve sent unkown an email.thanks!

That sounds like some sort of a communications error. Several people here on RS have done it and the rep at the Sheep Show told me about it. For what its worth I have not had one swapped but you might contact them again.
Interesting. I just spoke with a guy there for quite awhile. I explained that I was just looking to get a shorter barrel for my element and he said unfortunately that I could not just order a barrel and that I would have to order a completely new gun. He said they have been wanting to get to a point where they could sell barrels but they are so backlogged on full rifles as it is that they don’t see that coming anytime soon..

bmart2622

WKR
If you go through Seekins they will rebarrel it for $550ish but only with another production length barrel. So you could re-barrel a Ph2 with an Element length barrel but if you want a custom length you have to go through the custom shop

OP
AirborneA$$hole
I talked to Unknown Munitions about cutting down a PH2 and was told it was no problem to cut and re-thread
Somewhat unrelated, sorry about that, but have you ever used Unknown Munitions' hand loaded ammo? I currently do not reload so I'm looking at their 7 PRC ammo because they load Hammer bullets. This last year I hunted with Hendershots' 169 gr. Hammer hunter load and it shot well and anchored the deer I shot, but Unknown Munitions has a far greater selection of Hammer bullets and they load a couple Cutting Edge bullets which I want to try.

bmart2622

WKR
Somewhat unrelated, sorry about that, but have you ever used Unknown Munitions' hand loaded ammo? I currently do not reload so I'm looking at their 7 PRC ammo because they load Hammer bullets. This last year I hunted with Hendershots' 169 gr. Hammer hunter load and it shot well and anchored the deer I shot, but Unknown Munitions has a far greater selection of Hammer bullets and they load a couple Cutting Edge bullets which I want to try.
I havent, I reload my own stuff but have bought stuff from them. Is there a reason you are wanting to use a copper bullet?

OP
AirborneA$$hole
I havent, I reload my own stuff but have bought stuff from them. Is there a reason you are wanting to use a copper bullet?
Honestly it's not so much about using a copper bullet… It has more to do with the performance on game that I've experienced with hammer bullets. They dump a ton of energy into the target and cause a ton of damage. I haven't had an animal take more than a few steps, and most of them drop on the spot. I've also heard similar things about Cutting Edge bullets