Rebarrel or cut my losses

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
So this fall I sent my rifle off for custom stock, barrel chop/ thread @ 22", and custom bases made for it. It started life as a 7mm rem mag in 1-10 twist. Its now an extremely light weight rifle and the recoil is high enough in this light package its tougher to control as well as I'm limited on bullet weight choices. I've also found that the barrel wasn't threaded concentric to bore and I ended up with a baffle strike (my fault for not checking with an alignment gauge first). The shop said they'll take the rifle back and rethread but now I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off having it rebarreled to something like 6.5 prc to lower the recoil as well as the action is shorter and more similar to something like a tikka regarding COAL.

This brings up the question however of how much do I want to pour into this thing and at what point should I cut my losses and just sell for something else. I love the look and handing of the rifle as well as the niche of having something different from a standard tikka or rem 700 rifle. That being said I'm currently $2400 deep into the rifle and barreling will be close to another $1k.

I know this is the rok but please don't flame me that I should have just bought a tikka and cases of ammo. I wanted something different and at any rate this is the predicament I'm in and trying to decide how to make the best of it.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I would 100% have them rethread. Make your decisions from there. A barrel with bad threading is worthless.
Ya at the minimum Ill have the barrel threading fixed. Even if I sell it I wont pass it off to someone as is and have them find out the hard way on a suppressor like I did.

180ls1

WKR
Stick with it. Nothing you have mentioned has warranted spending that type of cash for a lower recoiling rifle. A custom 7mm may be the best Western big game caliber around.

Well you rifle isn't worth much.
So a new build you are basically starting from scratch.
Id find a quality Smith to re barrel

WKR
Did I miss the action manufacturer? Some of my decision would depend on that.

EdP

WKR
I ran the Miller formula on the 165 gr TGKs for my 1 in 10 7mm Rem Mag and found they won't stabilize. I'd rebarrel with a 1 in 9 at least (with a different smith).

crich

WKR
For the money youve spent Id weigh the financial loss of selling components vs selling the rifle. At least youve experienced what you dont want and can now make an educated decision moving forward opposed to basing things off ideas.

eoperator

WKR
The cheapest option would be to fix it. Try out 162 eld m-x being that you have everything for 7mm.
If that doesn't work out go for 6.5prc

WKR
I'd trip that and simply buy a Bergara, Seekins, Tikka, etc. Just my opinion. Get the threads fixed, name the shop that did it incorrectly, and move on.

TaperPin

WKR
I would simply have them fix the threads and keep it - the 7 mag has taken a stadium full of game. The twist is a little weird, but I’d be shooting a 160gr Accubond so I’m pretty sure it would stabilize.

EdP

WKR
The 160 AB is a much shorter bullet than the 165 TGK and the Miller formula predicts it will stabilize just fine with a 1 in 10 twist.

codym

WKR
I would re barrel it, either to a 6.5 prc or 7 saum based on action length. Definitely wouldn’t want a 10 twist 7 mag. I think a new barrel and a good chamber job would make you happy.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Do you like the action/stock/trigger? Would you be happy with just a rebarrel?

If you're currently limited to lighter weight bullets, and the recoil is already unpleasant, it will only get worse with the same cartridge and heavier bullets. Do you need a magnum, or would something like a 6.5 Creedmoor meet your needs? Ultralight rifle and heavy recoil sounds like a mismatch.

In any case, I wouldn't even bother taking it back to the same shop that couldn't thread the muzzle correctly the first time but that's me.

ZHY

FNG
Most not have been a reputable smith. Muzzle threads should be easy.