CWD Travel

sram9102

WKR
How do states that have CWD deal with deer taken from CWD free areas? Traveling to ID next month and wondering if we need to take the turkey fryer. ID doesn't have any positive cases yet but every state on the route home does. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty much need to travel with meat only. TN has billboards that state there is up to a $10k fine. I've used a local butcher and have had them Fedex my meat, same with using a local taxidermist. I'd bring a big pot to boil the head, or just spend a lot of time picking meat!

If you look, most states allow bone in quarters so long as there is no part of the spinal column attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BFR

WKR
Unless you plan to have it mounted I’d bone it out and cut the horn cap off. Once the cap is off it’s pretty easy to clean out any brain matter.

Rich M

WKR
The states I hunt require boned meat or a permit that restricts where you can import carcass from.

Crazy stuff. Figure on boning the quarters out if you don't have it processed and transporting frozen processed meat.

I'll be hunting in SD in October and hopefully bringing something back to MN. I know I need to clean the inside of the skull to remove brain matter but do I also need to clean the outside of the skull or not? I would be taking it to my taxidermist for full boiling and bleaching when I get it home. I have zero experience with prepping a skull for a European mount so trying to save some time in the field...

I'll be hunting in SD in October and hopefully bringing something back to MN. I know I need to clean the inside of the skull to remove brain matter but do I also need to clean the outside of the skull or not? I would be taking it to my taxidermist for full boiling and bleaching when I get it home. I have zero experience with prepping a skull for a European mount so trying to save some time in the field...

41:06:03:16. Interstate cervid carcass transportation restriction. Whole or partial cervid carcasses and head with antlers attached may not enter this state unless delivered to a licensed taxidermist, a game processor, or to the hunter’s domicile. Cervid carcasses passing through the state are exempt from this section. The provisions of this section are effective July 1, 2020.

Tennessee's rules are very strict.
Statewide Carcass Importation Restrictions

If you harvest a deer, elk or moose from anywhere outside the state, it must be properly processed before bringing it back into the state of Tennessee)

No person may import, transport, or possess in Tennessee a cervid carcass or carcass part from anywhere outside state except as provided herein:

(a) Meat that has bones removed.
(b) Antlers, antlers attached to cleaned skull plates, or cleaned skulls
(where no meat or tissues are attached to the skull.)
(c) Cleaned teeth.
(d) Finished taxidermy and antler products.
(e) Hides (tanned or green) and tanned products.