Danner Boots still a good brand?

Several years ago i bought some 'recraftable' boots from them. I ordered a size bigger than I usually do and they were still too small for my feet. Anyway, I wore them twice and said to hell with it. I was wondering if anyone has had them recrafted or if Danner quality is still where it used to be?

They are a mixed bag. I think their leather work boots are OK, but are made in USA. A lot of their synthetic boots are made overseas. I had an insulated pair of leather boots from 20 years ago that I got my money's worth out of, but in today's market they don't make anything that really captures my attention. Maybe for some insulated day hunting boots, but not for more technical backcountry mountainous terrain.

c-hart90

FNG
What are good recommendations for insulated boots? Have a 3rd rifle CO hunt this year and am looking into an insulated pair of boots. I like my uninsulated Crispis and have looked at Hanwags as well

Several years ago i bought some 'recraftable' boots from them. I ordered a size bigger than I usually do and they were still too small for my feet. Anyway, I wore them twice and said to hell with it. I was wondering if anyone has had them recrafted or if Danner quality is still where it used to be?
I have a pair of Danner pronghorns (uninsulated) that have been on a couple of early season elk hunts and several flatland hunts. Lots of miles but discovered Zamberlans and I switched out. (y)

EdP

WKR
I like my insulated Crispi's. If a boot fits you based on the last they are built on, and they are a quality boot (made in Italy or other western european nation) you should be good to buy their insulated models. Be carefull with Zamberlains, they are excellent boots but their insulated models are all made on a wide last.

I had a pair of Danners that lasted me 20 years, but what they make now I have no use for.

Aggie007

FNG
I had a pair of Danner snake boots that last 14 years or so, and they got a lot of miles quail hunting in South Texas. Two years ago, I bought a new pair and wish I hadn't. Quality is much lower, and the new ones are considerably heavier.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I used to be a huge Danner acolyte, but the past pair of mountain 600's I got started squeaking after less than 100 trail miles. Just one boot. When I called them they said it is just the wear on the boots.

I don't have any recommendations beyond what others have said - but I no longer recommend Danner boots to friends looking to break into "cheaper" mountain boots.

I’ve worn daily for over 15 years in Marine Corps. Swear by them. Won’t put another boot on my foot.

Now with that said - they are the USA Made Danners.

Danner makes non-mil boots that are USA made but they are expensive and they don’t make many choices for strictly hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taskswap

WKR
I have a pair of Danner Alsea's, but I've been considering selling them because I never wear them. IMO they're a very well made boot, but they never fit me quite right and I get blisters when I wear them.

I've wandered away from "hunting boots" lately. I came to realize that putting the word "hunt" in a boot title was good for about $100-$200 of price difference without much change in the actual boot construction. Lately I've been using a pair of Timberland Mt Maddsen. I paid $100 for them on sale, added a gel insole, and regularly re-waterproof them. They've served me for 5 years so far with no sign of giving up and I'm just getting to the point where I may replace the laces this year just to be safe.

Lots of people get good value out of Danners, Crispis, etc. I'm not saying hunting boot brands are bad, just that anybody who's been going through the main "hunting boot" brands and not finding their perfect fit
should maybe expand their options. Unless you're in rattlesnake territory or riding horses...

go_deep

WKR
I use the leather uninsulated 453 at work. I can get 2+ years out of them, and for me that's a long time for a work boot!

BCD

WKR
I love how comfortable the Pronghorns are but they just don't hold up. I switched to Crispis. They are not nearly as light or comfortable as the Pronghorns.

I picked up a pair of their USA made work boots. Their sizing is whack, I had to try three boots of the same size to find one I liked. They all fit different and they're super cheaply made. Their stuff just seems junky.

Their US made line seems like they slapped together very simple workwear to make it as cheap as possible. I'm a 12W in most shoes. I'm a 10.5W in Danner.

I didnt have good luck with my pronghorns of ten years ago. They leaked at the tongue and they were very hard for me to get on. I sometimes think the gortex booty was the wrong size or just odd sized. Both boots were the same. I don't have any sort of weird shaped foot. I got friends that love theirs so I dont know what to think about really. I moved on to other boots. Ifvthey have changed in ten years I couldn't tell you.

I'm gonna just go with "no" .. Danner has fallen out of my favor due to there being sufficient enough selection of other brands that are better on every level

phorizt

FNG
for hunting boots I wear Crispis Summits. But for a daily wear I'm wearing Danner South Rim 600s. More of a lightweight breathable(not waterproof) mid hiking shoe than a hunting boot though. I had some Crispi Attiva Mids that I wanted to love but they were super narrow in the toe and just annoyed the heck out of me so I sold them and bought the Danners and I love the South Rims so far.

gig 'em

JRS3

FNG
Are the Danner Mountain 600s and the Crispi Crossovers a good comparison?

I want more support than a hiking/trail shoe that is good on rock and trails with a daypack.

I have 2 pair good shape....mostly leather.... 1 insulated one non.....size 12.....
too old to climb mountains anymore..... if thats your size we should talk..... 1/2 price of new.....