Day Pack Help

Dries

WKR
I am in the Market for a Daypack. I have a caribou hunt coming up this fall and dont think my Cabelas brand daypack i have is up to the task anymore. My future plans include mostly guided Hunts as I live in Michigan and have to to travel to get anywhere good for Mule deer, Antelope, Elk and so forth. I have it Narrowed down to a Kifaru 14'r, Eberlestock Team Elk or Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35. Any recommendations on these would be appreciated. Thanks

I own a 14r, i have owed a SG 25 and 35.
I like the 14r a lot, carrys very well and its laid out great, with some side pockets and sleves you have quite a bit of capactity. I wouldnt use it as meat hauler except in a pinch...its a 50 pound max pack and thats pushing it. The SG 35 is the same to me ...I think it does everything the 14R does at half the price. You cant go wrong with either for a day pack. Both excellent quailty and comfortable.

I have a Kifaru Woodsman and it works good. I also have 2 badlands that work great for day packs. Where are you in Michigan. Maybe we can meet and you can try mine on. Its hard to get you hands on packs in Michigan.

Of the packs you listed I would go with Kifaru but I would be looking at a pack that uses a frame so that you could use it to pack out meat more comfortably.

I will throw in a vote for the mr pop up 28. I have had mine for about a month or so and it is my new favorite. If you are already talking about $300+ and 4 pound packs, this thing is worth considering. I am going to try it out on a few overnights with a camp bag once I get some time. It carries up to 49 pounds very well.

Just bought the MR Scapegoat 35 from Camofire. It is a nice pack and carries well. If I would have had the money I would get the Pintler for a little more room and the ability to pack meat between pack and frame.

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron. <g>

I have a Kifaru Woodsman and it works good. I also have 2 badlands that work great for day packs. Where are you in Michigan. Maybe we can meet and you can try mine on. Its hard to get you hands on packs in Michigan.

I am on the West Side of the State between Grand Rapids and the Lakeshore. What size frame is the Woodsman on?
I am 5’6” was wondering if the 22 or 24 inch frame would do the trick as a carryon on a plane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron. <g>

That looks pretty slick! I may have to look into that. With those pockets on there can you can fit rain gear and also maybe some extra puffy pants and coat in there along with extra bullets, headlamp?
Thanks

Hi Dries, I'm in Zeeland I'm guessing we are but a few miles apart. As has been offered to you by another Michigander, let me know if you want to meet up and try on a few.

For Midwest daypack in moderate temps I use an eberlestock x2 - great day pack for small amount of gear and I'd say good to 35 lbs comfortably.

For colder climates I use my kifaru tahr - love this pack. More room for bulkier clothes, carrying a tree stand, etc. also a great 2-3 day western pack. Also have their original Nomad with camo bag for multiday trips.

I'm 5'8" and for proper lift 24" frame is best, and would guess same for you. For airline tho, 22" might meet size restrictions better.

PM me if interested. John

You might look at the 22 mag as well, either on a 22" or 24" frame. There are a few good review videos out there, along with a couple threads in this forum.

I am on the West Side of the State between Grand Rapids and the Lakeshore. What size frame is the Woodsman on?
I am 5’6” was wondering if the 22 or 24 inch frame would do the trick as a carryon on a plane?

Mine is on a 26”. Im 6’ and the 26” fits good

Worth your time to look at Stone Glacier. My Avail 2200 is my EDC, day pack, squirrel pack, etc. and I have a 5900 that will compress down to nothing for a day pack where hauling weight will be necessary. You can throw the Avail on the frame as well.

The Exo packs are worth a look too. For everything you describe my Exo 3500 fits me just right. I have the Team Elk also and it has become my predator hunting pack. I like the scabbard so I don't have to have a sling hanging off my predator rifle. On some of the hunts you describe you might need to pack a guide's gear or meat and the Exo is way more comfortable for me than the Team Elk doing that. The frame twists with my body well enough that it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a frame pack but it still handles weight well. I trained with 50-80lbs in it quite a bit and liked it very much. The frame lets it be a good shooting rest for sitting shots also, but the Team Elk also does well there. The Exo is a couple pounds lighter also by my fishing scale.

I love the long side pockets on the Exo 3500 bag. I can put my rifle in one if need be. Most of the time my spotter is in one and my tripod is in the other for quick access.

Back