Debating pack options

OP
Knobbcreek
Am I correct to assume your buddies are hunting too? I would recommend you guys set a boundary of how far you will shoot a moose from camp. One guy gets all gung ho after a big bull and shoots it three miles from camp and then you all spend 2+ days packing it out, you might relegate him to to cargo hold for the ride home.
I know a group that broke their predetermined perimeter two years ago with two guys going in opposite directions after bulls they glassed up. It didn't take long for them to call back to town requesting help when they realized what they'd gotten themselves into.
I would think long and hard before I shot a moose over a mile from camp. I have packed out several and used a Kelty Cache hauler, Cabela's pack frame and NRS rafting straps and they work fine for me.
I greatly appreciate the sound advice and most certainly try our best to heed it! One buddy is hunting and we’re swapping days on who hunts which day. The other is strictly going to experience it all

To re-iterate what the other guys already said.... Don't shoot one too far from a pick up point. A 2+ mile hike in a bone-in area is going to be a non-starter for a lot of moose hunters. It could result in spoiled meat if you can't get it off the ground and also runs high risk of loosing it to a bear on those multi day packouts. I don't know your crew, or terrain, so set your boundaries according.

I've done a few mountain goats too, and while certainly miserable... they aren't in the same class of heavy carry as a moose quarter.

And I'm in the Barneys camp also for that task. You don't need the bag, just the frame and some straps or paracord is fine. I've had friends move a lot more meat than me on Cabelas and Kelty frames too, but they also had a higher tolerance for suffering.

AKDoc

WKR
You are getting some very valid suggestions from others with real experience humping moose quarters on their backs, and you're listening...good on you guy!

For what it's worth, I completely agree with all the aforementioned suggestions and precautions...100%. I have also humped my share of moose quarters on my back, and it is an eye-opener the very first time you do it. Consequently, I've passed on many really huge bulls because they were just too far away or at a location that would have been a definite risk for responsible meat retrieval which is a high priority for me. It's tough to pass when you are looking at a truly monster bull through your binoculars, but I'm glad I have.

I'll add a suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Talk with your hunting partner(s) about a primary initial strategy of calling bulls from your camp to your camp. I do it all the time. More to say about that pros/cons, but I've already gone too long here. Honestly, it's not been easy fighting my deep innate urge to "hike to that higher hill over there" or "just one more ridge for a better glassing vantage" but I'm glad I've made progress at not doing that...hopefully, I won't relapse in another month when I'm out there LOL!

The best to you for a safe and memorable adventure!

2+ mile hike in a bone-in area is going to be a non-starter for a lot of moose hunters ..... I've done a few mountain goats too, and while certainly miserable... they aren't in the same class of heavy carry as a moose quarter ..... And I'm in the Barneys camp also for that task

Other than a 10+ foot October brown bear hide, sans the skull and paws, NOTHING on this continent is in the same class of heavy carry as a bone-in moose leg.

OP
Knobbcreek
I like this forum more and more every day! This is a trip of a lifetime for me, and I certainly appreciate all of the great advice. If you have any additional please pipe up!

What I’ve learned thus far, if successful be ready for miserable but worthwhile memories. Do not get the urge to punch the tag to far out(going to have to reevaluate my initial response)
With age comes wisdom and lord knows Mother Nature is our best teacher.
Stick to within a mile if we can.
Patience is going to play a very key factor here in waiting on the bull to get to us.

Again from the bottom of my heart thank you all to contributing and adding lessons.

I'll add a suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Talk with your hunting partner(s) about a primary initial strategy of calling bulls from your camp to your camp. I do it all the time.

My 2022 bull was 80 yds from the meat pole. And only stones throw from where we got one 2021.

Called at dark and then out of the tent before daybreak. It's not a bad plan, and the thrill level of a bull materializing out of the pre-dawn is high.

BLJ

WKR
Is it the belt/shoulder straps that make the Barney’s so much better? Can they be bought by themselves for a different frame? Thanks.

Is it the belt/shoulder straps that make the Barney’s so much better? Can they be bought by themselves for a different frame? Thanks.
Yes and yes. The barneys frame is a copy of the old Camptrails with an additional cross member and better tubing. The harness will fit many other pack frames that use the old style drilled holes and pins to attach the harness. I've seen them on older Camptrails as well as Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabalas frames. Mine is actually on a Dana Designs frame that I drilled myself.

BLJ

WKR
Yes and yes. The barneys frame is a copy of the old Camptrails with an additional cross member and better tubing. The harness will fit many other pack frames that use the old style drilled holes and pins to attach the harness. I've seen them on older Camptrails as well as Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabalas frames. Mine is actually on a Dana Designs frame that I drilled myself.

This is what I was wanting to here.
I have an old Camptrials frame that I temporarily put a Marsupial belt on.
I think I’ll just get the Barney’s and be done. Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Does anybody know if there are different belt sizes with these packs? My belt seems sort of small. I got it used so I never had them set it up for me or anything in their shop.

Does anybody know if there are different belt sizes with these packs? My belt seems sort of small. I got it used so I never had them set it up for me or anything in their shop.

One size fits all. The newer harnesses seem to have plenty of length in the hip belt.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Barney’s for me. I modified mine with some Alp’s wings. I strap a dry bag to it with my day gear. Pretty solid system.

Have used it on 3 moose, 3 caribou, 1 black bear.

Heavy but bomb proof!

Full disclosure: I bought my wife a Kifaru frame and Stryker bag that I plan to borrow for future trips where I won’t need to carry stupid weight. But for the big loads I expect to keep using my Barney’s. If Kifaru ever makes a truly waterproof bag, I’ll be the first in line.

They do have two sizes of belts. You may have gotten the smaller one.

This post has me rethinking my pack, but think I will stay with my original plan (EXO K3) for my AK Moose. Getting to be too close to go times for gear changes like that, and I think the EXO can do it.