Deer behaviour - planning a stalk

So I have a list of questions regarding a mule deer's typical behavior and how to plan a stalk around that. (Hunting early September)
So after you glass one at first light and watch him bed, do you start a stalk on the first bed or do you wait to give him a chance to move to his "all day bed"? What time of day do they typically bed for the first and second time? Do they sometimes only bed once and stay there all day? If so how do you know if he plans to stay or move? How far do they move between first and second beds? Do you recommend closing the distance on them while they are still in the first bed and then waiting till the second bed to make a final stalk?
What about evening? How late in the day can you stalk a bedded deer before it gets too risky - changing thermals or him getting up to feed for the night?
That's enough questions for now. Thank in advance for any advice or opinions!

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
I've only got a few years of muley experience so take my response with a grain of salt. I'd prefer to wait it out in the morning and see if/when he moves again. When exactly that happens can be dependent on a lot of things but the biggest thing I've noticed is sun. They try to stay in the shade. So I'd wait until the "second" bed to put on a stalk. For me, I've reserved evenings for more ambushing rather than stalking. It just seems to work out for me better in the areas I've hunted early September, they tend to stick to the same patterns/areas if undisturbed so I try to sit and wait somewhere where I believe they will walk through on the way out to feed.

GregB

WKR
What Justin said, they chase shade.So if you look at where they bed I try to figure how long till they loose shade. If it's a spot that I think will block the sun long enough to let me get to them I will if not I would wait.

IdahoHntr

WKR
if sun rise is at 7AM. About what time will they bed down? usually within an hour of daylight or longer?

I think it really depends where your at and what kind of weather you're dealing with. Been hunting in Utah a bit since the archery opener and those bucks are hitting the trees or their beds within the first hour of light. So maybe a half hour after sunrise they are already in their beds. Some of the bigger bucks especially are hitting their beds almost as soon as I can see.

I've had other times, usually when the weather is a bit cooler, that bucks will stay out feeding longer, but again the big bucks don't tend to give you a lot of time to work with. They are usually the first ones to find a place to hide out for the day.

Lowg08

WKR
Is there a certain direction they tend to face when bedded? Thought I’d add a question to your list.

Lowg08

WKR
Yea I kinda left myself open for that one. I’ll add another. Do they tend to bed on a certain facing slope ( north or south)

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
They're going to bed mostly based on shade. No one likes to nap in the sun. The smarter ones will bed in a spot with unpredictable wind, parts of the mountain where the thermals swirl.

Lowg08

WKR
Thanks guys. Don’t mean to hi-jack a thread. I’m nosey also. I’ll be doing my first mule deer hunt next fall

OP
A
Thanks guys. Don’t mean to hi-jack a thread. I’m nosey also. I’ll be doing my first mule deer hunt next fall

I don't mind at all. You brought up a good question. Best wishes on you preparation for you hunt next year. I fly on Wednesday to begin my first ever western hunt. I'm not sure if I'm prepared but I feel I am ready 😀 if that makes sense.

I do most of my hunting in southern Ca, so September is usually HOT. As such, I will wait until midday or just after midday. In such heat, deer do not like to unecessarly expend energy, nor heat themselves up. As such, they will usually stay bedded until the last second. So I can almost always put on a very very slow stalk (even in the open) and get well within archery range before they even start thinking about getting up. So in short, I generally wait until the heat of the day is on.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I do most of my hunting in southern Ca, so September is usually HOT. As such, I will wait until midday or just after midday. In such heat, deer do not like to unecessarly expend energy, nor heat themselves up. As such, they will usually stay bedded until the last second. So I can almost always put on a very very slow stalk (even in the open) and get well within archery range before they even start thinking about getting up. So in short, I generally wait until the heat of the day is on.

I was reading this thread because the place were I archery elk hunt has a ton of mule deer. The terrain is rolling sage brush hills with patches of aspen. This year I am going out with a mule deer tag. The main reason is that where we hunt can get hot during the middle of the day. So what I was thinking was that during the mid-day have a mule deer tag to do some stalks. I have never killed a mule deer and would be happy with any size buck.

My question is when your doing this "Very very slow stalk" do you know there is a buck in the area your stalking? or do you just hunt areas you think there bucks?

Trial153

WKR
I really like the second bed and the usual steadiness of the early afternoon thermals. They also tend to relax more the longer they been bedded......That said If he is with group and he beds in good spot that you can avoid the other bucks go after him at his first bed after the thermals switch and he is comfortable.

A buck beaded with does during the rut....all bets are off, especially down in the flats.

I was reading this thread because the place were I archery elk hunt has a ton of mule deer. The terrain is rolling sage brush hills with patches of aspen. This year I am going out with a mule deer tag. The main reason is that where we hunt can get hot during the middle of the day. So what I was thinking was that during the mid-day have a mule deer tag to do some stalks. I have never killed a mule deer and would be happy with any size buck.

My question is when your doing this "Very very slow stalk" do you know there is a buck in the area your stalking? or do you just hunt areas you think there bucks?
I always have a buck bedded that I know of.

Most of the areas I hunt I know exceptionally well, along with the deer that occupy the area. However, when in a new area, if I am seeing sign and the area looks like it will hold deer, yes I work and area blind, and would not hesitate doing so.

No. Does with little ones absolutely. The young ones simply are not yet conditioned to not get water, and with smaller bodies, they generally expel heat better, but when it is hot, they simply do not have air conditioning. Young bucks often water midday. But, mature bucks water at night; you may catch them heading to their bedding area early in the morning light, but not after. Unless of course they get bumped.