Deer Camp Dinner Suggestions

LostArra

WKR
I find making my elk chili, then freezing it is the answer. I never eat it right after I make it. I at least put it in the frig. overnight to let all the ingredients blend into one delicious flavor.
Agree 100% on cooking then cooling chili (or stew)

Elk/deer tacos are a staple at our camp. I cook the meat beforehand then just heat in a skillet or put in slow cooker before afternoon hunt. Flour tortillas, cheese and any other toppings. It's also easy to eat in shifts.

I'm not usually a roast in the crock pot fan but a guy in our camp makes a "poor man's brisket" with a chuck roast in the C-pot and it's great.

PNWGATOR

WKR

The ‘flip flop’ would be my first choice hands down. Get the ingredients ahead of time and it’s FANTASTIC for a group feed!

Ribeyes

I always cringe at chilli. Just like jerky everyone has a recipe they think is unbelievable, almost never is…..

I always try and grill more than anything, use the electric/gas stuff inside for sides

hunterjmj

WKR
My wife makes 7 casseroles in 9x9 foil pans, vacuum seals and freezes prior to hunting. When everyone is back to camp I throw 1 in the Coleman cooktop oven thingy. Takes about 30-45 min and we have a warm meal.
My dad started doing this 30 years ago and it works great. No dishes, warm meal and no prep.

IMG_2354.png

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
With a set up like that I'd grill something, and have pre-baked potatoes ready to reheat with good toppings like cheese and bacon, sour cream.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Cook a brisket or Boston butt prior to leaving. Then bring sides, chips, etc. You can eat on either or both of those for several days and make sandwiches, tacos, etc. Grab a pizza or two on the way in for later to change it up.

Spaghetti and venison/sausage meatballs. Make the meatballs in advance and freeze. Meatballs are easy to thaw and spaghetti noodles are quick and easy to prepare when you get in from the hunt. Heat up a jar of Prego sauce to top it off.

geterdone

FNG
We eat like kings at deer camp. Trager, blackstone, sous vide and the deep fryer all made the trip to camp this year.

Menu included a fish fry, grouse fry, backstrap in the sous vide and finished on the blackstone, blackstone fajitas with leftover brisket, trager deer burgers, trager brisket melts and deer Chilli hot dogs.

We make camp meals part of the adventure. We always pack some simple meals for the late nights packing out animals if it happens like frozen pizzas and deli sandwich fixings.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

My go to for quick easy meals is Brisket sandwiches, coleslaw and baked beans. I make the brisket weeks in advance, vacuum seal chopped/ shredded point meat with my own barbecue sauce on it. Freeze it and its ready. Bring buns, premade coleslaw and a couple cans of dude perfect jalepeno beans. When it is time to prepare, I like to steam the brisket in the bag and then all you have to do is heat up the beans and toast the buns if you prefer.

Get a bunch of beef short ribs, season and brown them. Then, freeze in a gallon bag or two.

That morning, before you leave to hunt, put them in a crock pot with garlic, onion, half a bottle of red wine and beef stock to cover. Set the cooker to low.

Serve with sauteed mushrooms and egg noodles or mashed potatoes (instant Idahoan?).

You'll have a hearty, easy meal with minimal time investment.

PNWGATOR

WKR
My wife makes 7 casseroles in 9x9 foil pans, vacuum seals and freezes prior to hunting. When everyone is back to camp I throw 1 in the Coleman cooktop oven thingy. Takes about 30-45 min and we have a warm meal.
My dad started doing this 30 years ago and it works great. No dishes, warm meal and no prep.

View attachment 618863
FWIW this same approach could be taken with the Trail Fire Grill.

Awesome unit!

jimh406

WKR
Lasagna soup. You can find recipes online. I'd precook lasagna or manicotti shells. Be sure to the appropriate cheese to be added by each person and use either ground venison and ground pork or ground burger and ground pork. Keep the meat pieces large and add diced onion.

It's warm and heats up well no matter if you make it before hand or after. If you do heat it up, don't add the shells until it's hot.

Marble

WKR
We premade the following:

Spaghetti sauce
Chilli
Pot roast
Lasagna

Crock pots are great. We have done pot roasts and different stews along with pinto beans.

For camping type food, I always like to use my Dutch oven. I've made different pot pies and other fruit pies in mine.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Chili without beans. Because TEXAS dont eat beans.
I only eat wild game meat. Hamburger is catch all for whatever ground meat I am eating at the time. Its always 90/10.
Quality of honey is important. Use local unfiltered medium amber.
Ouality of chili powder is important. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LCKLYKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its awesome the first day.
Been working on the recipe since I was a pup.
I perfer simple recipes that dont need the whole spice cabinet tossed at them. Everything that is in this recipie is there for a reason and taste.
I have loads of hot sauce that I use since my wife is white bread and white milk. Been hot on cry baby craigs hot sauce for a while. Thats why this isnt a 4 alarm recipe. Its harder coking for people taste wise that dont like their taste buds scorched out.
The quality of the beer is unimportant. I use miller lite or coors.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. hamburger
1 large yellow onion finely chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
1 medium tomato finely chopped
2 oz of a (6 ounce can) tomato paste
1 - 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 – 10 oz can of diced tomatoes and chilies
1 cup of beef broth
1 American lager beer
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs honey
1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)

Directions:

1. Add ground beef to a large Dutch oven and brown ground beef.

2. Reduce the heat to medium, then add the green pepper, onion, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened.

3. Season the mixture with chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the broth and beer and deglaze the pot with a wooden spoon, reduce for about 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, canned tomatoes and chilies, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

MTtrout

WKR
Get a good wood camp fire going for coals and pull some over to the side and sauté some onions and mushrooms preferably in a case iron pot. While they are cooking add some fresh tenderloins in another case iron pan and cook to rare medium rare. When the onions and mushrooms are close to done add some pesto and cooked egg noodles (or noodles of choice). Cut meat and serve on the side with above.