Deer Vitals Measurements?

I posted a while ago that I'm going on my first archery deer hunt this season.

I have been shooting my bow every day in preparations for this hunt and my groups are pretty solid but every so often I get a stray arrow where its about 2-3" outside of my group. Obviously I'm going to keep practicing to help mitigate those mistakes but I want to know my margin of error JUST IN CASE I get a slightly stray arrow during hunting season.

My question is, how big are mule deer vitals actually? Does anyone have a general dimension of deer vitals? I don't have one of those fancy 3d deer targets so I would like to know a general dimension to draw on my current target.

I have heard everything from a gallon milk jug, to an 8'' plate can represent the general area of deer vitals.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Their lungs are roughly 8x11" about the size of a regular peice of printer paper. I always envision a soccer ball sitting atop the front leg and just let the air out of it. I wouldn't lose much sleep over an arrow 3" out of the group but try your best to minimize the "flyers"

Do you feel like it's you that causes the flyers or is it unpredictable? If the bow hits begind the pin you should be able to call your shots before you look at where the arrow impacted. Likely causes of flyers could be form, vane contact, nock pinch etc etc

dtrkyman

WKR
Number all your arrows and make sure the flyer is not the same arrow. Other than that if you are shooting a lot slow down and take your time between shots and make sure fatigue is not the issue.

When I was able to shoot in my own yard I would leave my bow at the ready all the time, walk out and shoot a single arrow whenever I felt like it. Good practice.

OP
F
Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty sure it's just a form/rushing issue. When I really slow down and take my time I can keep the groups tight but if I try to rush just a little too much (probably because fatigue), I get the flyers.