DIY dog box for truck

Does anyone happen to have plans for a dog box they built to house some hounds? Google and youtube arent providing much and Im really not looking to spend $1000 on a pre fab one

I don’t have plans, but when I was looking a while ago I found a place that offered the doors and I think diamondplate corners and then you added plywood to finish the box that looked like a pretty good setup. Most of the ones I’ve seen are completely homemade and generally pretty simple boxes divided into two or possibly three compartments

Just make a box with some doors and rigging windows. I guarantee the dogs will never complain about how it looks.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
As a dog man for over 35 years and a do it yourselfer for at least 50 years and cheap to boot, I recommend that you buy a quality topper or dog boxes and the main reason is if your in an accident your best friend is safe, I have owned/and used lots of different kinds but if in the bed of a truck something that can take the impact whether it be individual crates or topper configuration. Just think flipping a truck two or three times and having your buddies shaken but able to walk away from it, frightened and traumatized but in ok shape. I've been in one and seen two others and I will never have to be convinced that quality matters in this instance.

Coldtrail

WKR
Depending on how many dogs you are looking to haul it is pretty easy to make one with a couple sheets of plywood and some 2x2's. I've built a few that were 48x48 x24" give or take with two compartments and I could haul 6 dogs pretty easy as long as we were not going across the country. If you measure correctly you will have little to no waste. Don't skimp on doors, if you just cut squares out of the plywood and hinge them you'll regret it, take the time to build heavy doors. Also I put 3/4" plywood on the top and bottom, seems like with a box in the truck you will always be throwing stuff on top of it or someone will be sitting on it etc, adds some weight but with a heavy coat of fence paint inside and out it will outlast the dogs inside. Cut some 6"x42" slots in the side and hinge them and you will have plenty of ventilation that you can close in the winter and add some eyebolts so you can ALWAYS strap it down somehow.....ask me how I know.

The "dog box" has become sort of a status symbol for the modern day houndsmen and prices and designs are getting more crazy than I care to spend. Lots of 50/50 houndsmen out on the landscape these days....$50,0000 hunting truck, hauling $50 dogs, I prefer to put my money elsewhere in the operation.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
With the cost of lumber and plywood these days, you could watch Craigslist or some similar site for a name brand used dog box and it would be about the same.

topper5

topper4

topper3