Do everything pack ( kifaru)

I'm tore between the dt1, amr, and argali with belt pouches. I want a pack that can do everything from overnight backpacking trips to 7 day hunts. I'm leaning towards the amr, but how does it carry 3 day loads?

charvey9

WKR
In general, I think you can't go wrong with a larger pack. At least until you know for sure how much space you need to pack for 5, 7, 10 days, etc. Air packs easy.

I started with a 7400cu pack, then after a year or so scaled it down to 6200, now rolling with a 5100 with a lid for longer trips.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The two best imo are DT1 or EMR2 for a do everything pack. Those are just what I prefer. Nothing wrong with the other two you mentioned depending on your style.

Here is what I did. Get a cheap high camp 7000 off the forum. They come up all the time. Then buy a smaller pack. (I'm partial to the mountain rambler). That way you are set for pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the DT1, DT2 and the Nomad with a camp bag. Though things change frequently and I like using each system if I could only have one it would definitely be the Nomad on a duplex frame. It's just so versatile. The only thing I didn't like was the role top on the camp bag so I cut it off and sewed it shut. I know a lot of guys prefer the EMR 11 over the Nomad but I like being able to mount my rifle scabbard between the camp bag and the frame sheet, not possible with the EMR 11.

I think the dt1 or dt2 is a great do it all pack. I've had the high camp packs and was always putting pockets on the back. Plus the side slots are great for bladders, rain gear, tripods, etc. The divider is great for helping keep meat high too. I started with a dt2 and went though all the packs and am back to a dt1 . Timberline series is my favorite Kifaru design.

ahlgringo

WKR
EMR II for me. The center zip access is what sells it for me- Otherwise would be DT1. I use that pack for everything except quick out and back day trips, use a Late Season for that.

bbrown

WKR
Of the 3 you listed I would say the DT1 followed by the AMR. I would find a used High Camp 7000 over the Argali but that's only a personal preference because a bag as big as the Argali with only top access would drive me nuts. The problem I have with both the HC bags and the Argali, Markhor and Tahr bags is by the time you add the pockets they end up costing and weighing as much as the others. Then again being able to customize those bags with different pockets or none at all to fit your needs is a benefit for some.

I currently have the DT1, Mountain Warrior, Nomad and a MR Longbow for my duplex and bikini frames but I have also had the EMR II, cargo panel and High Camps. If I could only have one it would be the DT1 on the duplex frame because it just works best for my style. I really like the side pockets on the timberline packs and the layout out of the built in pockets. The Mountain warrior and MR Longbow on the bikini frame are great for scouting and summer trips. The Nomad is very versatile and made for hauling - this will most likely be the bag that makes the trip to Alaska for a moose hunt in 2018.

The nice thing about Kifaru bags is the hold their value well enough that you can usually pick one up and try it for a while and then resell it if it doesn't work out.

The first photo is the Nomad loaded for a 5 day winter backpacking trip. The orange handle sticking up is a full sized axe. You can see the butt of my 450 guide gun sticking up in the middle.
The second photo is in "day pack mode". Again you can see the rifle stock, the rifle can be retrieved and put back in the pack without removing the pack.

b3a63334da9f7b690d7dff87dbb7921e_zpszy4rtifi.jpg

28f0079b00120b1b8c4e18823460fe09_zpswmxcbzs2.jpg

huntaz31

Lil-Rokslider
I have the DT1 and 22 mag and the DT1 doesn't compress down as much as the AMR due to the 3rd sewn in compression strap. Though I added compression strap to the side it helped but doesn't go as flat as the AMR. You can always compress the bag smaller can't make it bigger. I think DT1 or AMR for sure. I agree with bbrown I love my DT1 and the use of the side pockets sewn in and saves money for buying other pockets which you'd have to buy for either argali and AMR. Unless weight is an issue go with the argali.

Manosteel

WKR
Like most long time members here I started with the DT1, then went thru the Nomad, which Didn't work for me, then the HC7000 which I modified by adding pockets and center zip, picked up a DT3 perfect day hunting pack I MO and can work for a quick weekend hunt, recently picked up a HC4500 cheap, (I slightly modded) with a guide lid and spotter pocket, loving it so far. In the end I think the best do it all pack will be in the 4000 cc range with a guide lid, If I could do it again for a first time pack it would be DT2.

Mind you I currently own and run depending on the outing - a DT1 on bikini frame, a DT3 on a bikini frame and my goto the HC 4500 on Hunter frame. Yes I love Kifaru packs and frames 😁

I'm an AMR guy. I've been thru the Highcamps, DT 1,2,3, Nomad, EMRII, and feel the AMR is the best for me.

I don't run a spotting scope or tripod often and the way the AMR compresses with the 3 straps is outstanding. It sucks everything down right and leaves the back pockets exposed. Add a guide lid and I'm set for all my short trips. To enlarge the AMR for a 3 day trip is easy with the 3 side straps and still keeps everything small and tight without a mess of fabric or straps giving me grief. Time to go big.....release the straps and there's very little I couldn't fit in there. If the AMR wasn't available or I used a tripod/spotter more often I would have a DT 1 or 2.

molon labe

Kotaman

WKR
Would the Mountain Warrior fit your needs? Over 6500 ci with a lid and compresses to daypack mode perfectly. I've owned T1,2,3,EMR2,HC 7000, Nomad, Mountain Rambler, and others I'm failing to come up with. The Mountain Warrior is my favorite and plenty big for a week. If you want a BEAST of a pack, look at AMR or EMR2, if you want a comfortable "do all" pack, I like the MW.

Another vote for DT1. I originally went with a Argali thinking I could modify to fit what I needed but by the time I priced out pouches and where I wanted them it would have been similar to the DT1 but more expensive plus I didn't like the pack without a bottom zip.

Last edited:
I vote markhor or argali. They compress down to nothing and expand a lot. I really like a spotting scope pocket on the front of the pack.

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
I run the AMR and a guide lid and it does just fine cinched down and light for a day pack. I wanted the same thing you do and I'm glad i went with the AMR

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
AMR! As others previously mentioned, it sucks down to nothing and offers convenient access to its spacious pockets.

I don't use the bottom zipper access, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kifaru add a vertical zipper (similar to the EMR II's center zip) along one side of the pockets.

Just another perspective of the DT1 since everyone raves about how small the AMR can get. This is with one added compression strap mid-bag and a plump full XTL lid.
34shw7d.jpg

OP
C
Thanks all, I'm leaning towards the amr but that last picture has me thinking.