Do I need a spotting scope?

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I bought a cheap spotting scope and I regret it. I think if you're looking for a specific animal to harvest it could save you a ton of walking. But if you will shoot anything with antlers, I think 10x binos are fine. I'm able to see antlers at about 3/4 mile with 10x's on something stable (tripod, fence post, rock). Over 1 mile if the air is clear and the antlers are big.
Ok this was very helpful Thank u

Mt Al

WKR
same same same: you can do it with what you have now if funds are tight. Go, dress for the weather and enjoy w/o worrying about "alpha glass" syndrome (I have it...). Nice binos are way higher priority. My top end spotter has sat in a closet for years unless it's a short hike and the terrain is way expansive.

Post pics of your trip!

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Good binos over spotters. No contest really. Good binos today doesn't mean alpha glass either. Mid-tier binos are excellent. I have Leicas HD-B 10X, but my much cheaper Pentax DCFs leave nothing to them. I even carry a pair of Zeiss 8x25 Victory compacts that are truly excellent for the size/weight. If I didn't need the range finder of the Leicas the Zeiss's would probably suit 95% of my needs for a fraction of the weight and cost. I will carry the Zeiss for bow hunting just to save on the weight and bulk.

eric1115

WKR
I'll beat the dead horse also. Good to great binos (Nikon HG, Meopta, Kowa, Minox BL or HG) first, good tripod second, good spotter distant third. Cheap spotter won't give you anything over that class of binos.

Spotter is the final solution and I would only buy one after you really know your style of hunting. Save the money for now. IME a budget spotter doesn't help at all. FWIW.

The most important thing you can do with your current nocs is to put them on a solid tripod. That will exponentially increase your glassing ability regardless of quality of the glass.

rclouse79

WKR
I have gone through phases where I think I might need one but haven't pulled the trigger because I figured I could make do with my 15x binos and a tripod. After a handful of bear trips this I found I have used my 8x chest binos way more than the 15s. I feel like they are better for spotting game with wider field of view.
I had a spotting scope a while back, and I did not enjoy looking through it for extended periods. For those who need to judge trophy potential at longer distances, it is a good tool. I don't think one is necessary for my style of hunting, and that is reinforced every time I see the size of them in the store.

WBrim

WKR
I used to get all excited about getting g a spotter, and had a little side fund for when I found a good deal. As I looked into it more, I realized it just wasn’t a high priority, and I would likely not use it all that much. Money could then go towards more/better gear.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Man am I the only one that see's the usefulness in having more power than necessary?
Everyone always says you dont need more than a 3-9 scope to hunt everything under 700 yards, but my golden rule from archery was "aim small, miss small" why not have more power to see more?
Why not check out a hill side with 10's and then break out the spotter and scour the nook and cranny's on 20 or 30? I guess I am alone in the fact that I have found more deer, javelina, and barbary with my spotter than my Viper 10's..
Maybe I just spend too much on tags, gas, food, time away from the family, from work to justify spending $1000 on a piece of equipment that can help me be "successful".

You can grab a leupold GR 15-30 x 50 Compact for $600 and the thing weighs less than 2 lbs...
You can get a leupold GR 12-40 x 60 for $1,400 and it weighs a hair over 2lbs...

WBrim

WKR
Man am I the only one that see's the usefulness in having more power than necessary?
Everyone always says you dont need more than a 3-9 scope to hunt everything under 700 yards, but my golden rule from archery was "aim small, miss small" why not have more power to see more?
Why not check out a hill side with 10's and then break out the spotter and scour the nook and cranny's on 20 or 30? I guess I am alone in the fact that I have found more deer, javelina, and barbary with my spotter than my Viper 10's..
Maybe I just spend too much on tags, gas, food, time away from the family, from work to justify spending $1000 on a piece of equipment that can help me be "successful".

You can grab a leupold GR 15-30 x 50 Compact for $600 and the thing weighs less than 2 lbs...
You can get a leupold GR 12-40 x 60 for $1,400 and it weighs a hair over 2lbs...
I think I get it, but I’m often in some thick stuff, and I’m just not sure I’d put it to solid use. It’s on the list, but not up at the top.

I find a quality set of 10x binos is my go to and if you can swing for a set of 15x or 18x you wont need a spotter for 99% of hunts unless you are super picky about scoring and analyzing game from far away.

SLC 15x have pretty much replaced the spotter on most of our elk and deer hunts.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I think I get it, but I’m often in some thick stuff, and I’m just not sure I’d put it to solid use. It’s on the list, but not up at the top.
100% agree. its not at the top. but it should definitely be something to consider. you need a foundation to start on.
Decent clothing system to keep you comfortable, good boots to keep you going, a rifle and optic to 100% get the job done when its time to do your part.. but when it boils down, having things/ gadgets/ gear that can make you enjoy the experience should be noted.
A lot of guys that say you dont need a spotter, will say you need to spend $$$$ on a backpack.. killik, alps, eberlestocks: "dont waste your money". we all have opinions and we all have systems that work, I just want to make sure the apparently small percentage of us that use spotters and see their value do like having them in their system.

WBrim

WKR
100% agree. its not at the top. but it should definitely be something to consider. you need a foundation to start on.
Decent clothing system to keep you comfortable, good boots to keep you going, a rifle and optic to 100% get the job done when its time to do your part.. but when it boils down, having things/ gadgets/ gear that can make you enjoy the experience should be noted.
A lot of guys that say you dont need a spotter, will say you need to spend $$$$ on a backpack.. killik, alps, eberlestocks: "dont waste your money". we all have opinions and we all have systems that work, I just want to make sure the apparently small percentage of us that use spotters and see their value do like having them in their system.
Solid point. That’s the beauty of getting to figure out what works best for you, right? Sounds like you have that aspect figured out pretty well. I’m hoping I can dial myself in and know just what I need, what I like, and what works for me.

If it helps you, it’s good to have!

I have killed more and bigger mule deer bowhunting by using my spotter. It is a lot easier to go undetected by deer when you observe from distance before you make a plan and execute a stalk. I also love the guaranteed aspect of going after bucks that I know are there. So the daypack gets put to use with a spotter and tripod aboard. Sometimes I will stash it on the prairie before my stalk. Sometimes it is left at my truck and used off a window mount but I always have one with me.