Which binos make sense

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
So I have some Christmas money that must go.. currently in the south hunting mostly whitetail woods with one or two trips west each year. Does it make more sense to buy decent 12/15x binos and keep using my old BX1 leus or leave those in truck for ever and purchase one pair il pass to my kids in 8/10?? I don’t use a spotting scope besides at the gun range and prefer to not carry or get one if i can help it.

OP
lhbackcountry

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
How much Christmas money are you trying to burn on these binos?
I am looking at this as literally my first "bino" purchase so if it lasts me in the next 5-10 years I can write off more then 2k but would like be around there. The only pair I have were the old leupolds ( just checked and they are not bx1 so I was mistaken) but given to me over 16 years ago and I have stopped carrying them more and more as my rifle scopes are better. Bowhunting is about the only time i bring them but even then I have been hunting more and more traditional so again i just leave the binos in truck.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’m also primarily a southern hunter, it’s probably not going to make sense to go past 10’s if you want to be versatile. Most guys can’t handhold 12’s and get much out of them anyway. Personally I like 8’s

I’ve had good luck with Mavens but if I had the room the the budget I’d be shopping for a pair of Zeiss SFL’s or Swaro EL’s and have a pair of binos that will probably last you a lifetime.

With respect, what do you mean or are trying to imply when saying "I've stopped carrying them more and more as my rifle scopes have gotten better"?

That implies you're using the rifle scope more and more to identify and spot game or objects. Please clarify.

Otherwise, I like a 12x and the Vortex Viper has done fantastic. I'll use the savings for processing the game shot after using the binocs to spot game, a new tent, reloading supplies and gear vs the extra thousands of dollars on Alpha glass.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Maven Bs in 9x or 11x (I've used the 11x, nice glass, just below Alpha)

Vortex Razor in 8x or 10x (I've only used their big UHD, but it was good, and I've had a rifle scope from that line that was good. )

Zeiss SFL (i've personally used the 10x40 and great value (review here), the 8x would be a gem too)

not in any particular order

S.Clancy

WKR

Vortex Razor in 8x or 10x (I've only used their big UHD, but it was good, and I've had a rifle scope from that line that was good. )

Zeiss SFL (i've personally used the 10x40 and great value (review here), the 8x would be a gem too)

Those Zeiss SFL's are BA. The image is better than almost anything (including the 2 binos above) and the light weight and small size is freaking awesome. They also gather a ton of light, more so than the objective would indicate, at least in my experience.

OP
lhbackcountry

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
With respect, what do you mean or are trying to imply when saying "I've stopped carrying them more and more as my rifle scopes have gotten better"?

That implies you're using the rifle scope more and more to identify and spot game or objects. Please clarify.

Otherwise, I like a 12x and the Vortex Viper has done fantastic. I'll use the savings for processing the game shot after using the binocs to spot game, a new tent, reloading supplies and gear vs the extra thousands of dollars on Alpha glass.
Ya my current binos are not worth much and make it hard to identify even my hits at 100 on paper so when hunting( southern woods, thickets powerlines etc) I will use the scope to get a better look. I am just trying get better understanding of the bino glass and what is necessary. \

I actually read that review few days ago but I definitely think the 10x is the direction I am headed.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Personally I would get a pair of Swarovski NL Pure 12X42’s and never look back! They are by far the best binoculars I have ever owned or glassed through. You will not be disappointed. I hunt out west every year and use them almost exclusively(I will sometimes use my spotting scope) and I hunted in Missouri on an archery hunt for Whitetail and used them there. They were definitely not too much.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Those Zeiss SFL's are BA. The image is better than almost anything (including the 2 binos above) and the light weight and small size is freaking awesome. They also gather a ton of light, more so than the objective would indicate, at least in my experience.
great minds think alike lol

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Welp….you guys just cost me some Christmas money. I just made my 1st purchase of decent binos after going down the rabbit hole of reviews. Can’t wait to receive them and try them out

TaperPin

WKR
Ten years from now you’ll look back and appreciate how nice those binocs have treated you - good glass changes how you hunt.

In you price range, in a quality binocular, consider:

Swarovski EL 42 10x42 W B - Green

GPO Passion HD 10x42

Kowa Genesis 10.5x44

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks
That first set and don’t look back. The only bino better is the NL Pure but outside your price range. The EL will be a lifetime optic that you will never regret

Buying something less will always leave the “what if” factor.

So I have some Christmas money that must go.. currently in the south hunting mostly whitetail woods with one or two trips west each year. Does it make more sense to buy decent 12/15x binos and keep using my old BX1 leus or leave those in truck for ever and purchase one pair il pass to my kids in 8/10?? I don’t use a spotting scope besides at the gun range and prefer to not carry or get one if i can help it.
It really depends on two things: 1. the quality of your BX1 leupold and 2. how well you can sustain 12x magnification. If you're out with a bunch of gear 12x might get tiresome fast. it might be okay at first but then as the day drags on you will still start to feel it.

You mention your budget is around $2k. You can't go wrong with any of the "teutonic three" (Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica).

The Swarovski have been discounted all month. $400 discount ends in 2 days.