Do Wiggys bags breathe better or is it the double bag?

wetzel

FNG
For years I have struggled to get things right in a sleeping bag. I usually am hot the first part of the night and cold in the early mornings. What I've noticed sleeping in a wiggy's superlight with the overbag is I am pretty comfortable regardless of the temperature. I haven't had it below zero but slept in it pretty close to zero, and as warm as 30 degree's and have been comfortable throughout the night. I do notice that in the mornings the overbag is damp around my core (pretty gross), but I'm wondering if the moisture my body releases throughout the night is what's making my sleeping bag experiences uncomfortable. Anybody else figured this out? The Wiggy's bags have been super comfy but it's obviously not a backpacking bag. How can I achieve comfort backpacking in a lighter package? I have a Western Mountaineering Badger (15* bag) that I slept in last weekend at about 12*F and was super comfy but the next night it was more like 22*F and I was sweating the first part of the night and cold in the morning. I have also slept in the superlight alone at around 20* and had the same unpleasant sensation, so it seems like it is the two bags together that makes them breath better? Seems strange but I'm hoping somebody out there has it figured out.

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm a Wiggy's guy, and I'll shout their praises all day long. I do pack my single Wiggy's (0* and a Glacier Hunter from Wiggy's AK) and they pack ok. And like you, I wouldn't pack the double set up. Unless I was truly well below 0*. My guess is you're on the right track. You're staying warm in the double Wiggy's because you're in a -40* set up, but sleeping above zero.

So you're hot the first part of the night...so I'm assuming that you sweat your butt off. That'll get wet and then you'll get cold, and a good bag like a Wiggy's will remove that moisture to the outside of the bag. But if you're just drenched, you're going to get soggy and cold. What clothes do you sleep in? I know sometimes when it's cold I want to get in my bag all bundled up and hit the sack. But I'd get too hot and get into what you're experiencing. So I just wear a light baselayer, and then wait for the initial cold bag feeling to pass until I warm it up and then I sleep well throughout the night and wake up dry in the morning...even if I go to bed slightly sweaty from packing, my bag can dry that out overnight. Do you feel any cold spots in the bag, or you're just cold all over?

And what kind of pad are you sleeping on? Best bag in the world will get chilly if you're losing a bunch of heat through the ground. Even a 40* night will get cold if you're losing heat through the ground and your body can't keep up with it.

DaveC

WKR
Haven't seen a Wiggys in over a decade, but it seems safe to assume they haven't changed much.

The sweat mitigation and movement you're experiencing is a combination of the insulation (which doesn't suck up moisture like down) and the shell and liner material (which are less densely woven and not calendered because they don't have to be downproof). Wiggys bags are super breathable in the scheme of sleeping bags, which is why they're so idiotproof in wet weather.

Simply put, there is no way to achieve anything close in a down bag.

Best bet; go to bed dry and warm with all the clothes you think you'll need for the night time low, and go to sleep with your bag unzipped a bit. When you wake up cold, zip up, do 50 crunches, and go back to sleep. If you sweated anyway wear fewer clothing items next time.

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Wiggy's sleeping bag since 2000 and love it. On numerous occasions I have woke up in the morning with the bottom side of my bag wet from it pulling the moisture out. I have been looking for a lighter weight bag to use for sheep hunting but not sure if I want to go with a down bag using a floorless tent.

OP
W

wetzel

FNG
So is it the double bag that is pulling the moisture out causing a more comfortable sleeping environment, Wiggy's Lamilite insulation coupled with a super breathable shell, or everything together? Could it be replicated using two lighter and more compressible bags or quilts? I am just amazed that I can sleep so comfortably in a bag rated for much colder and still not overheat.

DaveC

WKR
So is it the double bag that is pulling the moisture out causing a more comfortable sleeping environment, Wiggy's Lamilite insulation coupled with a super breathable shell, or everything together? Could it be replicated using two lighter and more compressible bags or quilts? I am just amazed that I can sleep so comfortably in a bag rated for much colder and still not overheat.

80% the shell and insulation combo would be my guess. You can deal with condensation within a down sleeping bag at cold temps by using a synthetic overbag, but that won't make a down bag with a relatively denser shell and liner breath more.

OP
W

wetzel

FNG
That makes sense, so ultimately it is the downproof materials that are making it less breathable? That's a bummer because I was thinking I was on to something for fixing my sleeping bag issues. For years my fix has been to use a sleeping bag as a quilt to mitigate the sweaty then cold later on, maybe I should actually buy a quilt and give them a shot for lightweight backpacking. I appreciate your help and input!