Does anyone actually tie up the "face" of a bivy?

colonel00

WKR
I was just curious if anyone actually used the little loops that are usually on the top of a bivy to tie it up off your face. Mostly, what got me thinking was in a buggy situation, if the mesh is lying on your face, head, arms or whatever, a mosquito can just sit outside and bite you right through the mesh. Plus, it is nice to not have it in your face all the time but it's never really bothered me when sleeping.

If you do tie it up, any trick you've found as far as keeping it tied and getting in and out as well as moving around at night without putting stress on your tent.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Shock Cord with a small carabiner. Ive tried it a few times broke it before I got smart about using the shock cord. Ive switched to ID Bivy that has its own frame around the face so haven't had to mess with it

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, a bivy with a frame is a great way to go but a little more weight and bulk. For me at least, when I'm using a bivy, it's when I am travelling light and don't want/need a nest like I would if I was with someone else. I'll have to give the shock cord a try...as soon as I sew some loops into the inside of my Cimarron (one of a few minor gripes I have with the shelter).

duchntr

WKR
Yea I tried the shock cord setup a few times while trying out a borah bivy and it seemed to work out just fine. Another thing you can do is put your foam sit pad perpendicular to your body under your pillow and it pushes/lifts the net away from your face.

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone actually tie up the "face" of a bivy?

I use shock cord and tiny carabiner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yea I tried the shock cord setup a few times while trying out a borah bivy and it seemed to work out just fine. Another thing you can do is put your foam sit pad perpendicular to your body under your pillow and it pushes/lifts the net away from your face.

Thats a great idea.

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
My Seek Outside LBO isn't as big as the Cimarron, but the trick I use is to tie a prusik knot on the pole. This gives me a place up high to tie the other end of my shock cord. The cord is at an angle but it seems to work well enough to keep the netting of the bivy off of my face. It would definitely be nice to have some built in loops though.