Does KUIU have an Edge

Benjblt

WKR
Pants with even 6% elastic began to sag and stretch even after a few hours. That's my problem with the Prana Zions.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka has the equinox guard in lead on sale for like 99 bucks that’s the only pants I know of with side zips. Wish they would add it to all of them. Wonder what it cost to have them put on all my Sitka pants by a whatever a person that sows is called a semester?? Seamstress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL merino base layers are great IMO. The obsidian? wool pants are pretty f'n delicate in my experience with them so they're relegated to camp pants, travel, and around town. My balls have blown through em and I've maybe hunted a couple days in them so D- on toughness but maybe there's something in my farts that destroys the material down there? Entirely possible.

The corrugate foundry pants, I thought had waterproof areas on the butt and knees were useless. My BH was soaked 8 seconds after I sat on a damp log the other day, they came with a small tear on the waistband that I missed before I took the tags off and one of the leg vents won't zip. My experience with their customer svc dept pushed me into the past customer category.

Peloton 97 and 240 are phenomenal pieces. Their pants are top notch and dry fast. The Kuiu fanboy culture is annoying but so is the FL.
Every sitka piece I've owned has been high quality. No complaints. Might be an ambient piece in my future...
FL is good at merino baselayers. Everything else is suspect.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
FL is good at merino baselayers. Everything else is suspect.

I'd add their whitetail kit to the good list too, the FL Solitude has been great for me for treestand sits. I definitely wouldn't beat brush in them, but that's not their use case.

sr80

WKR
I read a lot of love for the peloton 97 hoody, i had one years ago but didnt care for it, so all the positive reviews made me rethink and retry it. I dunno, i just dont get it, yes it is warm for its weight. But i find it impossible to put on over another long sleeve shirt, the inner fleece is like velcro and sticks and gets all twisted when putting it over say a OR echo, which is a pretty slick shirt. And for some reason i cannot regulate my temp in that shirt, it feels like im either cold in it or way too hot, i find it doesnt breath very well.

I did finally try attack pants this fall, they are also a very warm pant in my opinion. So i didnt pull them out till about mid oct. I used to wear mainly sitka pants due to their fit. And then jumped to SG pants for the side zips, SG pants are still my favourite pants. But the attacks are a pretty nice pant, dry fast, quite. Seem very well built, with reinforced stitching where it needs to be. I am not sure their reasoning behind the massively large loopy belt loops though, i find the excessive amount of fabric used can cause some discomfort under my pack belt depending on where it and they are sitting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I've found the 97 hoody to make a better cold weather base layer vs serving as a mid-layer.

I find I use the 97 bottoms more than the top- the zip-off feature that I thought was just a gimmick, isn't- it works great. Nice to be able to start the day comfortably w/ the bottoms and in 30-45 seconds be able to shed them if it warms up.

They also make a great sleep setup in colder weather :)

prm

WKR
I do like the Kuiu gear I have. Many of their products do not fit me well, that’s my only gripe. My go-to layering system has pieces from Kifaru, First Lite, Patagonia, Prana, Arcteryx, and Kuiu. The Kuiu stuff I have is exceptional quality. A pair of gloves (Guide X) I have had for years have lasted through cutting and splitting countless trees, working at the barn, years of hunts, and whatever else. They are one of very few products by any company which I am constantly amazed at how well they hold up. The leather in the palm is good stuff.

OP
F
Sitka has the equinox guard in lead on sale for like 99 bucks that’s the only pants I know of with side zips. Wish they would add it to all of them. Wonder what it cost to have them put on all my Sitka pants by a whatever a person that sows is called a semester?? Seamstress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sitka came out this year with the Intercept pant which has large hip vent. I have pair and they were by far my favorite pair of pants. The hip vents are another 4 - 5' longer than KUIU and also doubles as access to knee pads. Now the down side is the hip vents do not have mesh so stuff did sometimes get in my pants.

This pant has 14% spandex. I was shocked to see it this high. They pant was extremely comfortable though and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary for dry times.

OP
F
I agree with the prana. always started sagging in first day. However, I do not thing that holds true for every pant. This year I wore the sitka intercept pant and it has 14% spandex and I did not notice the pant getting baggy even after several days in a row.
Pants with even 6% elastic began to sag and stretch even after a few hours. That's my problem with the Prana Zions.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatal

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
More objective discussion about brands and performance is a good thing.

As for Spandex, your analysis may be correct, but I have a Kuiu fleece hoody and a Sitka fleece hoody, more or less identical save for the camo and the spandex, and I keep reaching for the Sitka every time (over the Kuiu).

Why? Because I am a bowhunter and need a really athletic fit to draw my bow and climb up trees.

For guys that need relaxed fit pants due to big thighs and a$$, that hate pants that stretch out after the first wearing, I've found the Kuhl Ryder to be an exceptional hunting pant. They have gussets where they need them and reinforced fabric at the bottoms for boots. They're also $99 and if you're lucky you can find them on sale for $70. I've taken a couple pairs on 10 days hunts and rotated them through the trips and they do not stretch around the waist or a$$.

I don't understand the Sizing issues people have with KUIU. I wear large in every top from them except for the Axis Thermal Hybrid which they made clear ran bigger then their other jackets...

OP
F
I don't understand the Sizing issues people have with KUIU. I wear large in every top from them except for the Axis Thermal Hybrid which they made clear ran bigger then their other jackets...

I think it has to do with body type as well. For instance the original strongfleece in size large fit great but were skin tight on my forearms. They have since corrected that. I am going to send back Katana pants. 32 didn't fit my waist and 34 are big in waist and tight in thigh. The size 34 attach pants fit perfect. So between katana and attach there is a sizing difference.

Kuiu is meh with a lot of stuff, but really nail it on certain things

Like all of the top end camo companies, they all have their so so products and they all have their best in class products

tracker12

WKR
Hard say that one brand is better than the other. I have Sitka pieces I love and some that were just OK. Same with Kuiu. Some I have really liked and some I just sent back. My big grip with KUIU is there sizing. Each model of pants fits me different. Kuiu Attack and Kutana pants are quickly becoming my favorites.

sveltri

WKR
I’ve had the mountain pants for a couple years and really like them, that said I’m gonna try a pair of Attacks this year. Went from FL to Sitka tops and a much happier and more comfortable. The Born Primitive pants are awesome for rifle hunts but way too loud and warm for September archery. The new Sitka lightweight merino top is my current favorite top.