Double check your gear-Lesson learned

EcoastDG

FNG
This past fall I had a Tikka action rebarrelled with a carbon barrel. I also had the action and bottom metal cerakoated as well. I picked it up from the gunsmith and took it to the range several times and on a few hunting trips with no issues.
A few days ago I took it out of the safe to wipe it down after a range trip. I opened the action to ensure it was empty and upon closing it and pushing the safety back to safe position I heard/felt the “click” of rifle firing. My stomach dropped, and I repeated the procedure with the same results.
The second time I noticed that the safety button seemed loose. I took the gun apart and observed that the whole trigger group was loose. I tightened the screw that attaches the trigger group to the action and that solved the issue.
Best guess it that when they took the action apart to apply the cerakoate, that upon reassembly they did not tighten the trigger group screw to the proper torque. I am very fortunate that I did not have a mishap with the rifle in that condition.

So from now on you can bet I’ll be triple checking any firearm I send to a gunsmith. Lesson learned.

This past fall I had a Tikka action rebarrelled with a carbon barrel. I also had the action and bottom metal cerakoated as well. I picked it up from the gunsmith and took it to the range several times and on a few hunting trips with no issues.
A few days ago I took it out of the safe to wipe it down after a range trip. I opened the action to ensure it was empty and upon closing it and pushing the safety back to safe position I heard/felt the “click” of rifle firing. My stomach dropped, and I repeated the procedure with the same results.
The second time I noticed that the safety button seemed loose. I took the gun apart and observed that the whole trigger group was loose. I tightened the screw that attaches the trigger group to the action and that solved the issue.
Best guess it that when they took the action apart to apply the cerakoate, that upon reassembly they did not tighten the trigger group screw to the proper torque. I am very fortunate that I did not have a mishap with the rifle in that condition.

So from now on you can bet I’ll be triple checking any firearm I send to a gunsmith. Lesson learned.

I had the same thing happen when I was putting a rifle away after a HUNT. I was wiping it down and noticed it "firing" on closing the bolt - thankfully I practice gun safety - but anyhow, I started looking at it because it had never done that before and noticed the trigger was loose. Took apart the rifle to find out the screw had backed out. I was the last one to take it out and I'm 100% sure I torqued the screw back however that was months prior and it had multiple range trips and hunts at that point with no issue.

I put blue locktite on it.