Drawing NM 2nd or 3rd choice

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
How often do people draw their 2nd or 3rd choice vs 1st choice in NM?

Everyone that I know that has ever drawn a tag there got their first choice. Of course that could be just due to the tags we've applied for 🤷

I can't pull my elk up from 2019, but I'm pretty sure it was 2nd. My son's 2021 elk was 2nd. This past year my daughter's oryx was 3rd, and my mule deer was 3rd.
The way they do the draw, it makes sense that you would pull 2nd or 3rd just as often if you're not just applying for 1% tags.

I drew both my nm tags 3rd choice, neither of them were easy to draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drew my Vidal tag as second choice. My first choice was a gila tag, so my number was good just not that good.

I thought I remember seeing it broken downon their tag allocations report on NM game n fish website.
However small of a chance im still using all 3. (Except for sheep, not paying $3.1 for ewe hunt i can do in home state for $300)

I’ve drawn my 3rd choice elk tag 4/5 years. It’s fairly easy to draw so that’s why it’s my 3rd choice.

drew 3rd choice last year after 10 years of striking out. Took a risk on a fringe unit and pulled a good bull out. Will take the same approach in future years.

The odds of drawing second choice are (approximately) the 2nd% - 1st% and third choice are 3rd% - 2nd%, assuming 1st%, 2nd%, 3rd% are the individual draw odds in the pool you’re applying in (R, Outfitter, DIY NR). You’ll find those in draw reports, gohunt or toprut.

So if your choices are 1) glory tag at .5% 2) mid tier tag 5% and 3) marginal unit December archery 30%, there’s a .5% chance you’ll get choice 1, 4.5% you’ll get choice 2 and 25.5% you’ll get choice 3.

The odds of drawing second choice are (approximately) the 2nd% - 1st% and third choice are 3rd% - 2nd%, assuming 1st%, 2nd%, 3rd% are the individual draw odds in the pool you’re applying in (R, Outfitter, DIY NR). You’ll find those in draw reports, gohunt or toprut.

So if your choices are 1) glory tag at .5% 2) mid tier tag 5% and 3) marginal unit December archery 30%, there’s a .5% chance you’ll get choice 1, 4.5% you’ll get choice 2 and 25.5% you’ll get choice 3.
1679218156834.png

I drew a 2nd season archery tag in the Valle Vidal on a 2nd choice. Drew 1st season archery on a 3rd choice in a fantastic unit 5 years ago. I don’t draw many tags as a resident though. I can’t draw a rifle deer tag to save my life.

Back