NM Landowner Cow Tags

Whip

WKR
Trying to figure out plans B,C, D & E for next fall if my plan A doesn't come through. (And it probably won't)

One option we've discussed is trying to buy a landowner cow tag in one of the better NM units. We aren't nearly in position to afford bull tags, but would love to spend time in a quality area and hopefully bring home some meat for the freezer.

My question is how high is the demand for NM cow tags? Do they sell out early where we need to be making contacts now? Or is this something that would be easy enough to pick up later after draw results for the various states are complete?

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
My dad picked up a bull tag with an outfitter on December 18. They still had plenty of cow tags through the end of the season for 1000$. Shouldn't be too hard to find a few.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
My dad picked up a bull tag with an outfitter on December 18. They still had plenty of cow tags through the end of the season for 1000$. Shouldn't be too hard to find a few.
and where do you find them?

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Check with outfitters that run on large ranches, in units that have the largest herds. They'll end up with most of the surplus tags

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Find the NMDGF eplus list and start calling the landowners that show “A” tags (antlerless).
This was last years list.

I know where to look, but my question is whether they typically are still available in the spring after other states draw results are out. Ideally we'd like to wait and see if we draw something else but wonder if a NM cow tag might be a reasonable back up plan if we wait. Not really looking to lay out the money to reserve one at this point.

SDHNTR

WKR
I know where to look, but my question is whether they typically are still available in the spring after other states draw results are out. Ideally we'd like to wait and see if we draw something else but wonder if a NM cow tag might be a reasonable back up plan if we wait. Not really looking to lay out the money to reserve one at this point.
They typically aren’t available at all, period. Seriously.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
They typically aren’t available at all, period. Seriously.
Really? Even the cow tags? I knew bull tags are really tough to come by but was just assuming cow tags would be much easier to find. Might have to work on a plan "F"....

SDHNTR

WKR
Really? Even the cow tags? I knew bull tags are really tough to come by but was just assuming cow tags would be much easier to find. Might have to work on a plan "F"....
Easier, perhaps, but still not easy, and not bought directly from a landowner.

All, yes essentially all, tags go to outfitters and a few go to tag brokers. The outfitters and brokers have standing agreements to buy all tags a LO may receive. That’s how they keep a working relationship. Then the outfitters sell them. There’s a slight chance you might be able to find something unsold from an outfitter (I knew of a deer tag this last year) but to get them to sell the tag independent of a guided hunt is very unlikely to happen. And most tag brokers have lists a mile long of people who want tags. I’m not saying it’s impossible. I bought a NV tag directly from a LO last year, but it was a unicorn deal. Took literally hundreds of phone calls and some fortuitous timing in that I just happened to call immediately after someone else backed out.

Npike4040

FNG
Got one last year on a NM elk hunting facebook page last summer just have to have cash ready to go when one pops up for sale.

I bought a couple for my Mom and Dad off Albuquerque Craig list a couple years back. There were several people advertising them for sale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Usi05

WKR
I know a guy who sells NM mule deer and elk tags with his guiding service. I have shared his info before. I have never hunted with him but almost did a few years ago just to hunt NM. I will ask what he has left before sharing contact info.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I know a guy who sells NM mule deer and elk tags with his guiding service. I have shared his info before. I have never hunted with him but almost did a few years ago just to hunt NM. I will ask what he has left before sharing contact info.
please let me know