Drew Nevada elk tag guide questions

First off, congrats to those who we’re successful in this year’s Nevada draw. I had the extreme blessing of drawing a rifle elk tag with zero points last week and I’m still in disbelief. My question now is whether or not it would be realistic for me to hire a guide for this hunt. I feel fairly competent in the mountains but my elk hunting has been limited to a handful of spike hunts in Utah. A guide seems like an obvious way to capitalize on this tag but after some brief web searches it seems financially unrealistic for me right now. I haven’t seen anything under 6k. Are there less expensive guide services out there or is that just what it is? Regardless guides and outfitter recommendations are appreciated just in case I can make it happen. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8478.jpeg
    IMG_8478.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 110
Wow! I don’t have a recommendation for you in that unit, but congratulations! You struck gold. I hope you realize how truly special that tag is.

First off, congrats to those who we’re successful in this year’s Nevada draw. I had the extreme blessing of drawing a rifle elk tag with zero points last week and I’m still in disbelief. My question now is whether or not it would be realistic for me to hire a guide for this hunt. I feel fairly competent in the mountains but my elk hunting has been limited to a handful of spike hunts in Utah. A guide seems like an obvious way to capitalize on this tag but after some brief web searches it seems financially unrealistic for me right now. I haven’t seen anything under 6k. Are there less expensive guide services out there or is that just what it is? Regardless guides and outfitter recommendations are appreciated just in case I can make it happen. Thanks
There was likely somewhere over 1.2 million applications in the draw. Some people with lots of points had hundreds of chances. But you had a single application. And NV only gives out around 135 non resident tags ( I assume you are a nonresident). And somehow your single application landed towards the very top!!

I would say with this kind of luck you are fine without a guide.

Seriously, don't take a stressful OIL tag and add more stress by making it a financial burden. Find some buddies, take as much time as you can, and go hunt. Maybe you shoot a good one.

Good luck

Cheap guides are cheap for a reason IMO. Spend that money on gas and extra trips scouting and covering the area. Any free time you have this summer should be spent scouting. Good Luck

How many elk have you killed? Do you have any budget, even for a scout package?

Thomas Brunson
(775) 296-0600

My dad went with these guys last year and had an awesome experience. Small outfit, local dedicated guides. He killed a great bull on his hunt

It’s been a few years, but I killed a bull with my rifle in 231. I did not hire an Outfitter.

Only you can make the decision to hire an Outfitter or not. For perspective, up here in general hunting districts in MT with shitty elk numbers, outfitters are charging more than $6k. I would absolutely NOT hire the cheapest one you can find, there is probably a reason.

I did run into one of the guides before the season. He was a good dude, local cop that guided for one of the Outfitters on the side. I do not remember his name, or the Outfit, but they routinely killed bulls worthy of punching your tag. There base camp was just off the highway.

Good luck. It’s a great unit.

I have not used them personally, but these guys live in 231:

This is most likely a OIL opportunity for you. If you cannot afford an outfitter I would dedicate as much time to this tag as possible.

It's still elk hunting. Elk can still be hard to find and big bulls aren't around every corner. Return other tags that you can hunt in future years. Will it be plausible for you to scout the area over the summer? How many days could you scout before season?

That is a once in a lifetime tag in a unit know for huge bulls and you are worried about a few thousand for a guide? $6k is only $500 saved per month for a year. How much time will you have to take off work to properly scout? Probably enough lost wages to pay half the guide cost or more. Do you really know how to hunt elk, or do you just plan to wander around hoping to get lucky again? You will regret not doing this right. 5 years from now you won’t miss the money but as you hunt elk more and learn what a special opportunity you had, you will regret not doing everything possible to capitalize on the opportunity. Work overtime or a second job if necessary instead of wasting that time scouting and pay a guide.

Thomas Brunson
(775) 296-0600

My dad went with these guys last year and had an awesome experience. Small outfit, local dedicated guides. He killed a great bull on his hunt
Thank you

I have not used them personally, but these guys live in 231:

This is most likely a OIL opportunity for you. If you cannot afford an outfitter I would dedicate as much time to this tag as possible.

It's still elk hunting. Elk can still be hard to find and big bulls aren't around every corner. Return other tags that you can hunt in future years. Will it be plausible for you to scout the area over the summer? How many days could you scout before season?

I’ve killed 2 spikes. I didn’t know “scout packages” were even an option. Something I’ll definitely look into. Thank you

Thomas Brunson
(775) 296-0600

This is who I would have recommended also, but I don’t know that they guide in 231. Nonetheless, it’s definitely worth calling Thomas and seeing if he does have someone in that unit, or knows someone he can recommend. There’s none better than him.

I’ve killed 2 spikes. I didn’t know “scout packages” were even an option. Something I’ll definitely look into. Thank you

I believe the reason why so many are suggesting professional help is because this is a tougher hunt than one might expect. It's so hard to draw because of the huge trophy potential. Not because there are elk everywhere.

NV has lower densities generally speaking and combine that with post-rut bulls that have been hunted hard all year and you have the makings for a hunt that makes it hard to locate bulls. Some of the pockets they hide in are so tough.

This is unlike your spike hunts where the bulls are screaming and its early season where they are out and about.

I hope you smash a giant! Good luck!

I drew my first Nevada elk tag last year with 9 points. That put me on a 7 year waitlist and possibly another 7-12 years again before I get a Nevada bull tag again. My wife said you will probably get 1-2 Nevada bull tags in your lifetime so just hire a guide and make the most of it.
I went with Bullridge guide service out of Ely. I think they cover 231. I was happy with the hunt.

I drew a 231 bull archery tag, although I prefer to DIY, y'all make good points about hiring a guide. I've contacted the outfitters in this thread.

If I did DIY, does anyone have recommendations for meat packers?

Ridgehunter,

Congratulations on drawing the tag! The unit produces some great bulls.
Regarding your question on pricing, I outfit/guide in 231 and know most of the other outfitters that do hunts around here. A guided hunt with any reputable outfitter is going to cost you $6k+. I don't know of any that are charging less than that.
Whether you decide to go DIY or guided, enjoy the hunt. It is a very difficult tag to draw and few nonresidents ever get to experience Nevada elk hunting.

If you would like to discuss your hunt feel free to message me.

Sergio Scarth
Scarth Outfitting

Back