Durn coyote

Haven't been hearing them or seeing any signs since August that they were working the area around my home again. Then about 3 weeks ago I see tracks in the fresh over night snow fall of at least 4 near my pole barn. A few nights later during the first night of the full moon they were yipping and howling totally raising hail down by the pond next door about a 100 yards from the house. Decided it is time to do some thing about them. Go out next evening get set up and turn on the E caller and every thing is fine with the volume just above a whisper. Any louder and it is all cracked up and just awful scratchy sounding too.
I built this thing about 10 years ago and it hasn't ever given me any trouble. I am thinking maybe the amp has gone bad, but I run battery test and it is down to 5 volts but I figured that should be fine. run all the wires to make sure they are still OK and they were fine. Now I am thinking for sure the amp is dying and think I will just buy a new unit like a friend has ICOtec gs350.

First I want to try a fresh battery and that was the problem as it sounds great now you can hear that screaming rabbit 300 yards away and the squealing piglet maybe farther.

Go back and set up over looking the creek and the big woods where it is real thick and meets the more open area of mature woods. Turn the challenge call on and let it run a minute then a minute of silence then the female looking for love sound for close to 5 minutes. At the edge of the creek 275 yards out I see the coyote sneaking along the creek and a fallen oak the wind blew over. I believe he was trying to get down wind of me when I finally settled the cross hairs on his shoulder. Figure 180 yards squeeze the trigger and saw a puff come off the side of the coyote, did two spins and dropped. the 220 swift with the 55gr. V max at 3800fps did it's job. Big male about 60 pounds, fur was on the ugly side with patches shed I believe from the warm weather we have been having. teeth were stained badly so figure over 2 years old.
Only one I seen for the night
Happy my caller is working again.

:D Al