Grizzly’s or not?

Pretty cool. Looks like a sow and 3 cubs to me. The far bear looks to be older than the 3 cubs. Maybe an older cub. Was that far bear comfortable around the other bears?

OP
B

Beaver08

FNG
Yes. The far bear was for sure protecting the rest. We were in our vehicles at this point, but we were maybe 30-40 yards away at best. The bigger bear stood up and then she charged about 10 yards and stopped. Then she turned and ran away. The rest of them followed. I was in total disbelief and also scared outta my mind, or else I would have taken a video. Some of the pics are deceiving because they were for sure closer than they appeared.

AKDoc

WKR
Another confirmation for definitely grizzlies...the hump at the shoulders, longer front legs, and lowered rear ends.

I'd vote it to be two sows with cubs...two with one and one with the other...but hard to really tell without watching them. Definitely a scenario to view at safe distance.

Last edited:

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Definatey Grizzly. I'm leaning towards a moma with three cubs since they seem similar in size. Unless they ran two different directions afterwards. I get the feeling Yellowstone is one of the easier areas to be grizzly. I did see a black bear mom with three cubs once. It can happen.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn't blame her for leaving your POS ass. Do not know why so many RS forum members give their tacit approval for poaching.
Woof. I believe you were the one who lumped us all in together with "typical RS fashion" followed by an explanation about why we are all so much less sophisticated than you. To be clear, I am not approving of poaching, just making fun of keyboard cowboy who feels the need to blast the forum he posts on and follow up with some comment about my "POS ass".

Anyhow, back to the original topic and sorry for the gorilla chest-beating tangent.