DWR Finish On Kuiu Alpines

I just took a walk outside in some new Alpine pants and noticed they soaked up the light sprinkle like a sponge. I checked all my other stuff when I got home and even the Tiburon clothing has water from the faucet bouncing right off. Water on the Alpines soaks in immediately. Has anyone seen this? Was there an earlier version of alpines that didn't have DWR finish on them?

Humphr47

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed this as well. The Alpines actually do not have the DWR. Although, there are several spots on Kuiu's website that say they do. I told them about the issue 3 months ago, but I haven't checked to see if the fixed it.

OP
F
I noticed this as well. The Alpines actually do not have the DWR. Although, there are several spots on Kuiu's website that say they do. I told them about the issue 3 months ago, but I haven't checked to see if the fixed it.

It still says they have DWR. Only reason I got these was because the DWR works so well on other products. Pretty annoyed by this.

sr80

WKR
ya..ive been meaning to contact kuiu to ask about this. Kinda weird that they dont, or maybe there was a mess up in production

sr80

WKR
on their website, in the overview of the pant, it doesnt mention dwr, but when you scroll down below the overview it shows the kudos dwr description.

OP
F
on their website, in the overview of the pant, it doesnt mention dwr, but when you scroll down below the overview it shows the kudos dwr description.

Correct. Not sure why the have DWR on the alpine page... And then even mention that it is featured on alpine pants. Still haven't heard from Kuiu on this. I'll update you all on their response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good to hear they did the right thing to make a customer happy and fix their mistake.

I am in the same boat. Bought them in June. Finally got the right weather to wear them. Froze my ass off Pnce they got wet. I like them but they are not what I thought I was buying.

So this is my first kuiu experience. I liked what I read and listening to Jason on a few podcasts so I bought a few things.

The alpines were my main interest as I wanted a technician pant with a DWR and knee pads. I bought them in June and wore them last week for the first time in a light rain. I got soaked in 35 degree weather.

4 emails and a call to KUIu and hoping they will make this right.

Their first response (to my second) email seemed to suggest that the pants were not DWR treated and they were never meant to be. My reply was basically you said they were before I bought them. Changing your site after the fact doesn't change that and doesn't keep me from freezing my ass off for 8 hours and making an otherwise good hunting day somewhat miserable.

I finally got a call back from their customer service rep saying that I might want to consider treating them pants with nikwax. I appreciate the helpful suggestion but WTF? One of the keys of Kuiu's marketing message is built around its superior technology. So an $8 bottle of nikwax gets me the same result as their KUDOS X-RAY DWR? Another is supposed to be top notch customer service. Seems like changing your product features after your customers buy and then pretending like nothing happened is not cool.

Definitely not what I thought I was getting. Not from the gear or the service level. Hope they at least take these pants back. Waiting to hear.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So this is my first kuiu experience. I liked what I read and listening to Jason on a few podcasts so I bought a few things.

The alpines were my main interest as I wanted a technician pant with a DWR and knee pads. I bought them in June and wore them last week for the first time in a light rain. I got soaked in 35 degree weather.

Their first response (to my second) email seemed to suggest that the pants were not DWR treated and they were never meant to be. My reply was basically you said they were before I bought them. Changing your site after the fact doesn't change that and doesn't keep me from freezing my ass off for 8 hours and making an otherwise good hunting day somewhat miserable.

I finally got a call back from their customer service rep saying that I might want to consider treating them pants with nikwax. I appreciate the helpful suggestion but WTF? One of the keys of Kuiu's marketing message is built around its superior technology. So an $8 bottle of nikwax gets me the same result as their KUDOS X-RAY DWR? Another is supposed to be top notch customer service. Seems like changing your product features after your customers buy and then pretending like nothing happened is not cool.

Definitely not what I thought I was getting. Not from the gear or the service level. Hope they at least take these pants back. Waiting to hear.

Same story when I used them. I can't imagine they intended for them not to have DWR....sounds like a factory mixup or something. Either way, you should MORE than be taken care of.....best of luck

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

If you haven't yet mention this thread. There is plenty of online evidence of this. I emailed them this summer about it and was told they do have dwr. Some other forum someone mentioned Kuiu's response wich stated dwr on knee pads only and would correct the site. And no, at home dwr wouldn't come close to how good the factory toray stuff supposedly is.

Just nikwax them, the factory dwr would have worn off by now anyway.

In my opinion dwr is completely a compromise, it's not water proof, wears out quickly and reduces breathability.

I bought the alpine pants thinking that they were dwr treated, but had full intention to never maintain it, I prefer them to breath, and they dry stupidly quick.

Just a quick update for posterity and in the interest of balance. A few emails and a couple of phone calls later I am sending the Alpines back for a warranty refund. [email protected] is the right point of contact.

Note I received from Jason below:

"As with any of our products, if you are not happy with the performance send them back and we will absolutely replace them. I have copied Ben in our Warranty department so you we can get this taken care of for you quickly.

Have a great Holiday.

Jason"

Still not clear to me if the pants were meant to have a DWR and were made wrong or if they were never meant to have a DWR and were advertised wrong. What is clear is that they were advertised with a DWR when I bought them and I suspect they were meant to have a DWR and were kuius answer to Sitka mountain and tree line pants. It is unfortunate because apart from the soaking up water like a sponge thing, I actually like the pants. If they sort the DWR I would buy them again.

View attachment 43485

Tacking on a footnote here, after Kuiu made it right on the Alpines and refunded me, I decided to give them another whirl, I bought a couple of base layer tops and a casual jacket, all of which I really like. I also bought a DCS guide jacket. I was impressed but the XXL fit too tight for me to layer underneath. I exchanged it for a 3XL which I am waiting on. The process took longer and required more phone calls and emails than I might have liked but was positive overall.

In the meantime I am liking the items I have kept. I would say they have won me over with their gear and are starting to convert me as it relates to their company and service.