Early November Montana Weather

A friend and I are going to to be just north of Bozeman in early November (first week of the month). What type of weather can be expected, roughly? Or what is the norm? This isn’t a mountain hunt. Just trying to get a rough idea of what to expect as far as temperature and is snow a realistic possibility of something to plan for or a slim chance.

Thanks in advance.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Montana in November could be anything.

Put together a clothing system to deal with it.

Backpack? Truck based camp? Outfitted? Motel?

Your system needs to be dialed.

OP
M
Montana in November could be anything.

Put together a clothing system to deal with it.

Backpack? Truck based camp? Outfitted? Motel?

Your system needs to be dialed.
Thanks for this.

Outfitted, truck hunt from a lodge. I’ll be driving so I can take most anything I think I’ll need.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
While you want to cover your bases as the weather can change suddenly and drastically; looking a week out for the area you’re going to hunt should give you a good idea on what to expect.

NOAA has a spot forecast that goes out 7 days; this much better information than say the city of Bozeman weather. I also like Meteoblue- you can also search a specific area (instead of a town). Meteoblue goes out 14 days.

When both are in close agreement, this is usually the best information for weather you can realistically expect.

Even then there can still be changes. Best to err a little towards it being worse than better.

PNWGATOR

WKR
FWIW…not MT, but N ID….early September elk. ZERO percent chance of rain on all of the local news’ forecast and apps.

It F’ng DUMPED rain! DUMPED! Days on end. Zero percent chance...

I’ve hunted in this country during ‘burn bans’ due to fire danger, with areas closed to motorized access with 10” of snow on the ground…in September.

Put together a purposeful clothing system and the mental tenacity to deal with everything.

Plan accordingly.

I'm west of there and the range is dry to 8" of snow. Temps seem to run 20s to 30s but beware of microclimates. East side of the Big Belts can be a rain shadow. Elevation can make a big differance.

Given this year - anything goes.

Here's a bit of info fwiw last year opening week it snowed one day and was 20 deg. a day later it was 50 deg. The year before it was 50 deg. Opening week and -25 the following. The 2 years prior we got 12" of snow opening week temps in the teens. 5 years ago it was 70 deg. I live on the west side of the big belts and you just never can tell so pack a wide range of gear and figure out a good layering system. I've seen 75 deg temp swings in 12 hours.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
Two years ago we hit the trailhead (SW of Boazman) with beautiful weather. It was high 60's and sunny. We hiked in and setup a basecamp. As I zipped up my tent that night I could hear some moisture coming down. The next morning it began to rain pretty heavily and turned into snow. We ended up pulling camp that morning, and subsequently getting the truck stuck in the snow as we tried to escape the winter storm onslaught. The rest of the week was filled with long hikes in a foot of snow. Temps in the teens to low 30's. We walked away with 2 mule deer. When talking about that trip, I always quote Mike Tyson "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Suffice it to say, be ready for anything that time of year.

Jaquomo

WKR
Layers, at least two pairs of boots in case one gets saturated, gaiters, and a good outer shell layer (top and bottom)