Early Sept vs Late Sept - Western Arctic Herd 23/26A

Brick

FNG
Ready to put a deposit down on a 2023 Caribou drop hunt flying out of Kotzebue. We are really leaning towards late September, but can't help but wonder how cold it will actually be. Any thoughts? What's your experience? Seems like the migration picks up the farther into September you go, or am I way off base? Cheers.

if thats so you better change your avatar. Ron Swanson would not be happy with such ridiculous talk! I have not hunted up that way but if you are not getting any responses i would just check out old threads on here and see when other people went and read their write up on it. i would go later in september.

Uintah

FNG
I wondered the same thing whilst planning our hunt for September of this year and finally settled on September 12 - 22 based on what other folks had posted about and experienced in previous years. Seems it might be somewhat cooler and colder in mid to late September (so less or no bugs) but it also seems that the migration picks up and while harvesting is simply icing on the cake for us we wanted the experience and adventure as much as the opportunity to kill. And, as far as the meat, early caribou from August to mid-September are quite good. Bulls from anywhere near the rut can be really bad. Anyway, I don't think you'll have any issues at all by selecting a mid to late September date.

mcseal2

WKR
We went late, but with only the one trip I don't know if that was right or not. We had success but no giants. It's all in the sticky thread with my article and what I learned post.

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
I wondered the same thing whilst planning our hunt for September of this year and finally settled on September 12 - 22 based on what other folks had posted about and experienced in previous years. Seems it might be somewhat cooler and colder in mid to late September (so less or no bugs) but it also seems that the migration picks up and while harvesting is simply icing on the cake for us we wanted the experience and adventure as much as the opportunity to kill. And, as far as the meat, early caribou from August to mid-September are quite good. Bulls from anywhere near the rut can be really bad. Anyway, I don't think you'll have any issues at all by selecting a mid to late September date.
Exactly our thought process as well. Now just trying to get creative on how to keep the meat secure with bears. Good luck!

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
We went late, but with only the one trip I don't know if that was right or not. We had success but no giants. It's all in the sticky thread with my article and what I learned post.
Haha, I actually have your post bookmarked and shared it with the crew months ago. Thanks again for posting it. Lots of valuable insight in there. Your temp range had us a bit concerned but I think we should be alright. I read where you guys took cots, I've always just used a pad (sometimes 2) but I've also never hunted/camped in Alaska. Any thoughts on going without a cot, or am I being an idiot contemplating it? Cheers!!

It’s anybody’s guess what the weather is going to do, but I think that in late September you’re much more likely to see lows down into the teens than you are to see highs in the 50’s. How late in September are you thinking? Also keep in mind that the rut goes into full swing in October, and I think that the closer you get to that, the more the meat quality goes down. Last year was pretty mild, and there’s no doubt temps are warming up, but I wouldn’t necessarily count on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Haha, I actually have your post bookmarked and shared it with the crew months ago. Thanks again for posting it. Lots of valuable insight in there. Your temp range had us a bit concerned but I think we should be alright. I read where you guys took cots, I've always just used a pad (sometimes 2) but I've also never hunted/camped in Alaska. Any thoughts on going without a cot, or am I being an idiot contemplating it? Cheers!!
i have never used a cot on a hunt before, but we also hike all of our stuff in so i dont want to carry the extra weight. There are a few light weight cot options out there that i have though about trying out. Helinox is one of them.

mcseal2

WKR

We’d have been fine without cots where we camped. It was black sand, a nice level place. If we’d have been dropped on a ridge instead of a gravel bar it might have been different.

It would be the first item I’d leave behind if I had to due to weight. Mine is about 4.5lbs if I remember right.

AKDoc

WKR
Sharing a couple of perspectives in the spirit of being helpful...

Generally speaking, I approach every fall hunt up here with a few assumptions. One of my assumptions each year (relevant to the OP's question): This hunt is going to be wet and cold at times (hopefully not continuously, but it might be...and has,...so I need to be ready). I then select and organize my gear accordingly. Honestly, for me going early vs late September up here, my gear list looks pretty much the same.

Specific to caribou meat harvest, I really don't care for the taste of caribou meat that is anywhere even close to rut. Others may feel differently, and that's ok for sure. I just don't like it, nor does my wife...it's always been "sausageified" at my house. That said, if I had to schedule in September, it would be early over late every time...my son and I are going to wait and punch our caribou draw tags this winter. Additionally, caribou are pretty much always on the move, so I'd be researching herd patterns for where they tend to be in early September...knowing that it isn't 100% whatsoever.

The question about lite cots is a good one, but my post is already too long! (BTW...I have a Helinox, 2.8 lbs).

Last edited:
OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
It would be the first item I’d leave behind if I had to due to weight. Mine is about 4.5lbs if I remember right.
Good to know. I appreciate it! I wouldn't be surprised if everyone but me brought one, and it's my biggest regret of the trip, but I'm leaning towards not. Plenty of time to weigh the options (literally).

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
Sharing a couple of perspectives in the spirit of being helpful...

Generally speaking, I approach every fall hunt up here with a few assumptions. One of my assumptions each year (relevant to the OP's question): This hunt is going to be wet and cold at times (hopefully not continuously, but it might be...and has,...so I need to be ready). I then select and organize my gear accordingly. Honestly, for me going early vs late September up here, my gear list looks pretty much the same.

The question about lite cots is a good one, but my post is already too long! (BTW...I have a Helinox, 2.8 lbs).
Lot's of good stuff in this, thank you. Trying to find what exactly my rain gear should look like, and assume I may wear it the entire trip. I don't want to pack too many clothes, but I'd rather not be soaked or freeze wishing I had more (seems to be a theme with first time caribou people from what I read). And also thanks for the tip on your preferred cot. I love the Helinox camp chair.

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
And just to clarify, last night we booked the hunt. Sept 15-24, 2023

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
It’s anybody’s guess what the weather is going to do, but I think that in late September you’re much more likely to see lows down into the teens than you are to see highs in the 50’s. How late in September are you thinking? Also keep in mind that the rut goes into full swing in October, and I think that the closer you get to that, the more the meat quality goes down. Last year was pretty mild, and there’s no doubt temps are warming up, but I wouldn’t necessarily count on that.
Sept 15-24... My brother's anniversary is the 12th so we had to work around that. Otherwise, we would've been a week earlier.

AKDoc

WKR
And just to clarify, last night we booked the hunt. Sept 15-24, 2023

I apologize...I didn't catch that earlier, my error. Had I noticed that you already booked the trip, I wouldn't have commented about meat quality approaching the rut...I thought you were still deciding between early or late September. Sorry about that.

While I'm here again, let me add a thing or two about lite cots...

Up until about ten years ago, I always had a pad on the ground, but then I bought a Thermarest lite cot, and it quickly became my new normal. It really helps level the playing field when it comes to finding a flat surface to pitch the tent, and I sure do sleep better. I didn't take it on 8-10 day pack-raft floats because it's a bit of a hassle to set-up and take down every day (but doable), and man did I miss it on those trips. Missed it so much on those trips that I purchased a Helinox lite cot a couple years ago because they are much less of a production to set-up/take-down...it's awesome (gave the Thermarest to my son), and the Helinox is going with me next month for a hundred-mile float. When back-packing, I'm back on the ground...last month I did a six-mile back-pack for a couple of nites up into the mountains for some early season Arctic Grayling fishing...and can you guess what I missed having with me?

...last thing about a lite cot...be sure to also have a good pad with a higher R-value, especially if you are in a down bag.

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
I apologize...I didn't catch that earlier, my error. Had I noticed that you already booked the trip, I wouldn't have commented about meat quality approaching the rut...I thought you were still deciding between early or late September. Sorry about that.

While I'm here again, let me add a thing or two about lite cots...

Up until about ten years ago, I always had a pad on the ground, but then I bought a Thermarest lite cot, and it quickly became my new normal. It really helps level the playing field when it comes to finding a flat surface to pitch the tent, and I sure do sleep better. I didn't take it on 8-10 day pack-raft floats because it's a bit of a hassle to set-up and take down every day (but doable), and man did I miss it on those trips. Missed it so much on those trips that I purchased a Helinox lite cot a couple years ago because they are much less of a production to set-up/take-down...it's awesome (gave the Thermarest to my son), and the Helinox is going with me next month for a hundred-mile float. When back-packing, I'm back on the ground...last month I did a six-mile back-pack for a couple of nites up into the mountains for some early season Arctic Grayling fishing...and can you guess what I missed having with me?

...last thing about a lite cot...be sure to also have a good pad with a higher R-value, especially if you are in a down bag.
No no no, please don’t apologize. First off, we had been leaning this way for sometime but just locked it in yesterday. Also, the outfitter said there’s plenty of room left for 2023 if we want to change our dates (basically giving us a few months if we change our minds) so I am genuinely curious as to everyone’s preferences. I’d love to hear more about your experiences with meat later in the season, as that is obviously a huge motivator for the trip. Thanks for your input!

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
Can you disclose "roughly" how much deposit hunters have to post when locking in a hunt window.......??? I am just curious.
Most transporters require a 50% deposit. Basically every transporter out of Kotzebue requires 50% or close to it upon booking. Transporters range from roughly $3k-$6k.