Eastern Sierra Muleys

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Drew a tag in a CA x zone. Spent the week getting familiar with access, roads and trails. Glassed a few spots in the morning around 7000-9000 ft. Only spotted two forks and the rest doe/ fawns.

Question - are the bigger class bucks going to stay in higher elevations during summer? Season opens September 15/16 and figured if I’m finding deer now, those areas should also hold more bucks over the next month and a half.

87TT

WKR
They are usually way high unless and until pushed out either by weather or hunters. I have seen a few big old bucks living out in the sage east of 395.

This year has been a very different year, from most in the past. Your specific zone may matter. There was so much snow this past winter that spring migration was seriously delayed. In some areas, still delayed, to a degree. A month ago, in much of the eastern slope, the deer were still rather low.

I'd say you need to get back out there and check there typical summer range.

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
For the most part I haven’t been getting up high enough in my opinion to see the big boys. I know eventually they’ll come down low and a few folks have mentioned some resident mature deer in the sage.

If September rolls around and I’m still not seeing something mature, I’ll have to charge higher and see what I find. A few folks were saying 9000-10000 ft.

It’s anyone’s guess this year with the snow back, but I can tell you 11,500 is not too high…