Easton G nock and bohning F nock alternatives

Having issues with Easton g nocks. I also had issues with the F nocks on a different bow. Anyone have a different nock that would fit my VAP's that I could try out?

All my G nocks are spreading open after a few shots. I just changed all the nocks maybe 2 weeks ago. I had two almost fail on me today.

4a3yqutu.jpg

MattB

WKR
How is the fit on the serving? Easton G nocks are a very good nock so I doubt they are the issue.

OP
Rick Leathley
I think they fit pretty good. I can hang the arrow straight down and twist the string without moving the arrow. I am shooting a 2014 Hoyt CST@78# with the stock string still on it. they are the large grove G nocks and I didn't have problems tell it got hot here in vegas shot them all winter with no issues.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check with easton, many nocks have a FPS rating. So if shooting super fast, you may need a nock with more beef to it. You could go to pin nocks and shoot the Gold Tip HD nocks. They are designed for heavy arrow, heavy weight, heavy poundage and or fast arrows. They won't break from shooting.

OP
Rick Leathley
Check with easton, many nocks have a FPS rating. So if shooting super fast, you may need a nock with more beef to it. You could go to pin nocks and shoot the Gold Tip HD nocks. They are designed for heavy arrow, heavy weight, heavy poundage and or fast arrows. They won't break from shooting.

I think I'll make the switch to these.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The nock groove should be very close to the same size, but they have much more mass to them.

OR Archer

WKR
Rick see if you can get some of the Deep Six nocks. They're a little beefier than the G nocks.

Tilzbow

WKR
Rick,

It's not just you, I'm having the same issues with both style of nocks on a 70# CS34. I'm going to try the Deep Six nock as suggested by OR Archer. Three weeks after switching from the F to G nocks I had 5 break over last three days. I've switched all the 3 week old nocks to new nocks and of the ones that weren't broken half were starting to split. I had better luck with the F nocks but not by much. Over 25 years of shooting I've never had an issue with nocks breaking at the shot. It's pretty unnerving to think it could happen when dropping the string on a Stone ram in 4 weeks!

OR Archer

WKR
This may seem like a silly question but how are you guys installing the nocks? I've shot G nocks for a long time and never had one do what was pictured unless it was hit with another arrow.

OP
Rick Leathley
I use the tool that come with the nocks

I ordered the hd pin nocks they should be here in 2 days. I didn't see any gold tip pin bushing that fit the VAP's so I'm going to try pin bushing from Easton and hope they work with the HD GT NOCKS

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'll make the switch to these.

Rick,

I ordered a dozen HD pin nocks on accident (in white). I don't have the pin bushings, just the nocks. If you want em PM me your address and I'll send em your way. They are just sittin here.

-Chris

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I use the tool that come with the nocks

I ordered the hd pin nocks they should be here in 2 days. I didn't see any gold tip pin bushing that fit the VAP's so I'm going to try pin bushing from Easton and hope they work with the HD GT NOCKS

Ha. Missed your order by a minute. If you don't want em I'll send em to whoever can use em.

Tilzbow

WKR
I also installed them with the tool they came with. My G nocks were fine the first 80 - 100 shots, or so, but then starting breaking at the shot. My serving was frayed at the nock point and that may have been the cause BUT I've never had that create an issue like this before and I shoot a ton. The F nocks were breaking months ago when the bow was new but they were breaking much less often and it was more random.

I just put new threads on the bow Saturday, replaced all my nocks and I'm inspecting them after every shot now until the new nocks come in. I'll be switching them out regardless since I've lost confidence in both types.

MattB

WKR
This may seem like a silly question but how are you guys installing the nocks? I've shot G nocks for a long time and never had one do what was pictured unless it was hit with another arrow.

That has been my experience as well - only arrow on arrow contact would cause that. One wonders is perhaps Easton let go of a bad batch given a number of us haveshot those nocks for ~ a decade with nary an issue but 2 members are having the same problem in the same timeframe. Have either of you placed a call to the company to inquire?

OP
Rick Leathley
That has been my experience as well - only arrow on arrow contact would cause that. One wonders is perhaps Easton let go of a bad batch given a number of us haveshot those nocks for ~ a decade with nary an issue but 2 members are having the same problem in the same timeframe. Have either of you placed a call to the company to inquire?

Actually a quick Google search pulls up a number of people complaining about the same issue. I was shooting at 100 yards and while my groups are pretty good I dont stack them like I do at "40" yards.

The owner of my bow shop has already sent pictures to Easton.

c5mrr270

WKR
I've heard of this problem before and it's only been on the 2014 hoyts. It's because the string on the new hoyts is 28 strands instead of 24 so it's a little too wide for those nocks.