Eating CWD

taskswap

WKR
I read the study and don't see any danger posting the link especially with the MSN article in the wild:

The conclusion was causation was not proven but further study was warranted. Seems fair to me.

Mainstream media on BOTH sides is almost total trash. They make 70% of their revenue off ads served, and to get that they need clicks. Racy headlines are what pull that in, and the writing is irrelevant once you're there (because you've already been served the ads), so the content is almost always garbage now. The more enraging the headline, the more it gets shared, and it doesn't matter if it's Fox or the NYT - people act the same on both sides.

The biggest joke in the industry is that Fox brought a more conservative viewpoint to an industry that needed it. The reason it's a joke is there was no high-minded purpose there - it was just an untapped revenue stream, another way to make a few billion off folks who weren't virally sharing what was already out there. That's why one of the top headlines on Fox today is the delightfully enraging "Biden set to lock up millions of acres from oil drilling in victory for environmentalists" and you have to dig really hard to find the detail that it's a 5-year pause on new leases. Whether you think that's good or bad, it sure is a much more nuanced thing than the more headline leads you to believe.

Did you know that nearly all the major news pubs use automated algorithms now to generate their headlines? I've worked with some of the software companies that make them. There are even plugins that install right into the CMS apps they use to run their Web sites. They actively monitor the "engagement" that articles get, and test different keywords in titles to see which get the most clicks and shares, then suggest them for new articles to help them perform well, too. So most of the time when you see a headline it's not intended to inform you at all. It's literally designed just to enrage you, not inform you - because it turns out people click and share things more that upset them. Kind of perverse once you see the dashboards that track it and the auto-suggesters that help generate the new ones.

Get your data straight from the source any chance you get. It's not always possible. But worth it when you can.

My take (I'd call it my 2c but it's probably worth 0c...) is CWD is worth a ton more study less because I'm worried about it jumping to humans (not ruling it out, just not losing sleep over it) but because it's definitely not good for the herds. I've never taken an obviously-infected deer myself but I've seen enough pics to know I don't want to. I think it would be good if we understood it better.

Macintosh

WKR
I read the study and don't see any danger posting the link especially with the MSN article in the wild:

The conclusion was causation was not proven but further study was warranted. Seems fair to me.

Mainstream media on BOTH sides is almost total trash. They make 70% of their revenue off ads served, and to get that they need clicks. Racy headlines are what pull that in, and the writing is irrelevant once you're there (because you've already been served the ads), so the content is almost always garbage now. The more enraging the headline, the more it gets shared, and it doesn't matter if it's Fox or the NYT - people act the same on both sides.

The biggest joke in the industry is that Fox brought a more conservative viewpoint to an industry that needed it. The reason it's a joke is there was no high-minded purpose there - it was just an untapped revenue stream, another way to make a few billion off folks who weren't virally sharing what was already out there. That's why one of the top headlines on Fox today is the delightfully enraging "Biden set to lock up millions of acres from oil drilling in victory for environmentalists" and you have to dig really hard to find the detail that it's a 5-year pause on new leases. Whether you think that's good or bad, it sure is a much more nuanced thing than the more headline leads you to believe.

Did you know that nearly all the major news pubs use automated algorithms now to generate their headlines? I've worked with some of the software companies that make them. There are even plugins that install right into the CMS apps they use to run their Web sites. They actively monitor the "engagement" that articles get, and test different keywords in titles to see which get the most clicks and shares, then suggest them for new articles to help them perform well, too. So most of the time when you see a headline it's not intended to inform you at all. It's literally designed just to enrage you, not inform you - because it turns out people click and share things more that upset them. Kind of perverse once you see the dashboards that track it and the auto-suggesters that help generate the new ones.

Get your data straight from the source any chance you get. It's not always possible. But worth it when you can.

My take (I'd call it my 2c but it's probably worth 0c...) is CWD is worth a ton more study less because I'm worried about it jumping to humans (not ruling it out, just not losing sleep over it) but because it's definitely not good for the herds. I've never taken an obviously-infected deer myself but I've seen enough pics to know I don't want to. I think it would be good if we understood it better.
Agree, I just dont think the article is really newsworthy. I think the “rebuttal” I posted was simply because the entire article consists of this:
Clusters of sporadic CJD cases may occur in regions with CWD-confirmed deer populations, hinting at potential cross-species prion transmission. Surveillance and further research are essential to better understand this possible association
As he said, its not a study, no “study” was conducted, its merely a statement that CJD clusters sometimes overlap with CWD areas, and we ought to look into whether there is any connection—its not even asserting that a connection is likely. Yet this article has been recently and frequently linked-to under headlines designed to trigger a response, as you said, and is causing something of a stir. When in fact, its not really saying much at all, just “huh, hope this is coincidence”. Because we dont actually have anything more than that to draw any conclusions from. Agree 100% on the cwd conclusion though.

taskswap

WKR
Agree and also worth noting what little WAS done was paid for. No idea who or what Cala Trio is or why they;d fund this...

Sibbyu

FNG
My wife killed a mule deer in 2022 and we grilled the backstrap and ate it that night. Turns out it had CWD. So far so good! No telling how many CWD deer get eaten every year that are not tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I'm not that interested in shooting contaminated deer or eating the meat. To think that the prions won't affect you is a bit crazy - they are there, they live in mammals, why wouldn't they live in humans?

Anyway, it would take me right out of hunting if hunted infected critters was the only option. No thanks.

"CWD is similar to “mad cow disease” in cattle, scrapie in sheep, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans. It is fatal to animals and there is no vaccine available. The protein that can cause CWD can pass directly from animal to animal and indirectly through the environment."

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve read up on CWD, Mad Cow Disease, CJD etc..

I truly think it’s going to become a very large issue. Once “the jump” from deer to cows or pigs happens, humans will absolutely be next. To think CWD can only affect Deer and no other Mammals is naive.

That may take 5 years or 10-15 years, Nature finds a way.

I’ve read up on CWD, Mad Cow Disease, CJD etc..

I truly think it’s going to become a very large issue. Once “the jump” from deer to cows or pigs happens, humans will absolutely be next. To think CWD can only affect Deer and no other Mammals is naive.

That may take 5 years or 10-15 years, Nature finds a way.
It was discovered over 40 years ago. How long it has been around before then is anyone's guess. Probably
as long as cancer was around before it was discovered.

I'm sure Oprah can get to the bottom of it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Folks have been eating meat from processors which for sure have put animals with cwd into the grinders, and no one cleans between animals… so I’m betting anyone who has taken a deer/ elk to the processor has eaten tainted meat