Eating Wild Hog

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 1 every year in January. And have for the last 10+ years. Never had a bad one. Usually take a 100-125 pounder. Get the field dressed, skinned and cold asap.

Theres better things to eat In my opinion. After eating many over the last 40 years I find they vary in taste.
There are a lot of theories as to why. I have killed or been involved in killing several hundred and I cant make a full proof determination as to why. I cooked them in about every way imaginable and some just are better than others. I had very few that were inedible but they just vary. Could be geography and what they are eating.

I stopped eating them when I started thermal hunting them at night . Seeing hogs eat dead cows , other dead hogs , road kill and a pile a pile of cull poultry farm chickens changed how I look at them . They are 4 legged buzzards .
Pretty much. I rode by a dead cow that had been laying there for several weeks. All of a sudden I thought I saw the cows leg move. I rode over closer and a hog was half inside that nasty dead cow having lunch.
That just about ended my hog eaten days.

Sherrif

FNG
I've harvested and eaten 100's, and plenty of big boars. I've never had a bad one. Hovever, if you cut through glands, the gland ooz taints the meat it touches. Proper car is everything.
Good info and advise, thanks!

ThatDUDE

WKR
For you guys who have killed hundreds of hogs, do you hunt your own ground? I have really wanted to do a hog hunt with some of my buddies, but some of the costs seem outrageous.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys who have killed hundreds of hogs, do you hunt your own ground? I have really wanted to do a hog hunt with some of my buddies, but some of the costs seem outrageous.
Well, you're correct. The costs ARE ridiculous. I wouldn't pay that much just to shoot a filthy, stinkin' feral hog.

If you don't mind a rant, I'll try and explain why landowners charge to "shoot hogs"!

When ferals finally increased to "problem" level, farmers/ranchers welcomed ANYBODY who would help combat the beasts.
Then, landowners began finding people they didn't know or give permission to hunt wandering all over their property....and we aren't talking Jim Shockey or Bill Jourdan quality people. We're talking "Possum", "Skeeter" and "Junior" ...and they're drunk and their junky, jacked up 4WD Chevy is setting out in the middle of a crop, mired up to the axles.
Gates left open, fences torn down, trash everywhere, wounded/dead livestock and smouldering campfires.
The "hunters" were doing more damage than the "hunted"!
Now, Possum, Skeeter and Junior are pi$$ed because the gate is locked and Farmer Brown wants to charge them $100 to hunt!

It was evident that ne'er-do-wells would take advantage of a situation.
Most landowners reciprocated by charging a fee to hunt to help offset damages.
Then it turned into a business venture.
Ergo, high dollar hog hunts!

I have hunted wild hogs in the past but never processed one. What are your experiences with eating wild hog?
For the most part, my experiences have been good.

I like to take the larger pieces and cook them on the big green egg, giving them a nice smoke.

I will typically wrap after two or three hours to keep some moisture in, and even then the finished product to me, won’t turn out like pulled pork due to the fat content.

It can be tender, but always a little dry, but no problem when you mix it with the Cooked off juices in the foil and some barbecue sauce, etc.

A friend of mine likes to smoke them to about 190, pull and cut, then makes chili out of it, really good.

Wife got home late from work tonight looking to make something quick. I have a bunch of jars of plain unseasoned canned hog, she popped one and pan fried it for a bit then made a bunch of quesadillas with it. Worked out freaking great.

ThatDUDE

WKR
Alright which one of you guys can help me get on some hogs? You have me convinced to try them.

Pretty much. I rode by a dead cow that had been laying there for several weeks. All of a sudden I thought I saw the cows leg move. I rode over closer and a hog was half inside that nasty dead cow having lunch.
That just about ended my hog eaten days.
I shot two a few evenings ago gnawing on a putrid deer carcass! Not my first time to witness! No thanks!!!

To the guys who have a problem with wild pigs because they will occasionally eat dead animals. Do you have the same issue with eating bear since they do the exact same thing?
YES! Preferred foods such as maggots, rotten anything and crusty honeybuns just turn me off somehow!

To the guys who have a problem with wild pigs because they will occasionally eat dead animals. Do you have the same issue with eating bear since they do the exact same thing?

It’s amazing what the human mind does. I have no problem eating wild hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
No bear season in my neck of the woods nor are there any bears.

rbljack

WKR
We have trapped over 30 hogs in the last few years. Ive only thrown away 3 big boars to date. The rest were made into sausage, brauts, breakfast sausage, and chops. My favorite was mentioned early on.. AC Leggs #10. we recently tried making spam from it using the bearded butchers idea (they used venison), and it came out pretty good also! Just ordered a bunch of spice and casings off amazon along with the high temp cheese. Right after the holidays the trap will be set again and its time to refill the freezer. We aren't seeing any deer, but the wild hogs will do in a pinch also!