Eberlestock gun runner

Duh

WKR
Does anyone use a gun runner pack for calling predators? I like the concept of the Gunn runner but was curious if a fox pro X2S or X24 would fit inside of the main pocket? Also, does anyone actually strap any coyotes/bobcats etc to the pack?

If anyone’s got one to sell, let me know but I’ll probably be buying one before the sale ends tomorrow (12/3/23).

Bought a GR pack approx 6 years ago cuz it looked like a decent rifle carry pack for call/spot/stalk.

Unless the shoulder straps and belt have been improved, the pack is a liability if you need to carry anything, even a 7# rifle in the scabbard. There's nothing stiff/rigid for centering, 100% of the load weight is isolated on the narrow straps buried into the tops of your trap muscles. I get neck and back muscle spasms just thinking about it. In fairness, maybe Eberlestock has beefed up the Gun Runner???

FWIW, can get comfort, e-caller pack space, + hauling capability with a KUIU carbon frame + 2300 bag. Could add the Eberlestock scabbard between bag and frame.

Hope this is helpful... Willing to sell you my Gun Runner for $100 shipped if I haven't scared you off. It's durable, great shape.

Same color/camo as screenshot pic.

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 5.49.31 PM.png

Reactions: Duh
Duh

Probably worth finding out if Eberlestock has made improvements to the pack. If so, the new versions might be worth it.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Bought a GR pack approx 6 years ago cuz it looked like a decent rifle carry pack for call/spot/stalk.

Unless the shoulder straps and belt have been improved, the pack is a liability if you need to carry anything, even a 7# rifle in the scabbard. There's nothing stiff/rigid for centering, 100% of the load weight is isolated on the narrow straps buried into the tops of your trap muscles. I get neck and back muscle spasms just thinking about it. In fairness, maybe Eberlestock has beefed up the Gun Runner???

FWIW, can get comfort, e-caller pack space, + hauling capability with a KUIU carbon frame + 2300 bag. Could add the Eberlestock scabbard between bag and frame.

Hope this is helpful... Willing to sell you my Gun Runner for $100 shipped if I haven't scared you off. It's durable, great shape.

Same color/camo as screenshot pic.

View attachment 635743
It doesn’t look like they’ve added a internal frame or upgraded the shoulder straps. So 30lbs would be a bit of a stretch for packing? Do you have the H2 gun runner? The picture you added looks the same as what they’re currently selling.

Mine is identical to the screenshot photo.

There is a lot to like in terms of concept, space, etc... it's just that the pack does little to distribute weight comfortably. 30# is a lot for that pack.

If you were to invite feedback for shorter walks to turkey spots or to check out what's over the next hill... I'd say it's worth having.

Still worth a call to Eberlestock or one of their retailers to ask whether the construction has ever been improved.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I’ll give them a call and find out. Might be hitting you back up if you still want to sell it.

Depending on how far I’m walking I like the ground and pound.

If I’m scouting deer/coyote hunting then I have been using the EXO 2200.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Depending on how far I’m walking I like the ground and pound.

If I’m scouting deer/coyote hunting then I have been using the EXO 2200.
Is the ground and pound the one with the chair attached on it?

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Eberlestocks shoulder harnesses and belts are replaceable on most packs and they sell different ones. Just a thought and option.

99% of the time yes. Or I skin them right there if it’s way in there and a keeper dog.

With fur prices in the toilet I don't save many now.

Photo shows flip side of pack. As Gmr777 noted, the belt and shoulder parts are easily removable.

I just never came across a strap/belt system that might work.
Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.23.18 AM.png

For coyotes, I run a loop cord over the upper feet jaw behind the canines and drag them. Easy.
[edit]

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I had a gunrunner and sold it. I agree with the above post about it just not carrying really well, no structure and it's to "round" and to far from your back when loaded with a rifle.

I got a Team Elk and cut the nylon and drawstring out of the top. I also removed the hip belt. It holds my old giant Prairie Blaster 2, my rifle, shooting sticks and decoy stake, and the few other things I need. I really like it for my use. The 2 compression straps on the back hold the 6 sections of Thermarest pad I take to sit on if it's wet.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I had a gunrunner and sold it. I agree with the above post about it just not carrying really well, no structure and it's to "round" and to far from your back when loaded with a rifle.

I got a Team Elk and cut the nylon and drawstring out of the top. I also removed the hip belt. It holds my old giant Prairie Blaster 2, my rifle, shooting sticks and decoy stake, and the few other things I need. I really like it for my use. The 2 compression straps on the back hold the 6 sections of Thermarest pad I take to sit on if it's wet.
Did your prairie blaster fit inside the main compartment of your gun runner?

mcseal2

WKR
I don't remember to be honest. I'm pretty sure it would have though. I loaded it up hiking in preparation for a muley hunt and decided pretty quick it wasn't what I wanted, sold it before it showed any use.

I briefly had an Eberlestock. I really liked the concept, but found it wasn't built very well and certainly didn't carry well. I moved it on down the road and haven't regretted it. Buddy had a brand new Eberlestock on recent hunting trip and it didn't carry well for him, and he ended up ripping one of the straps off it. Small sample size, but I certainly wouldn't get another one to see if they were both flukes. Too many other good options, albeit without the integrated scabbard.

Correction: I did not intend to use the word “feet” in my prior post. Must have got spellchecked. Meant to say “upper teeth”, meaning I loop the cord to cinch over the upper jaw behind the upper canines.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I really wanted that pack to work just for the minimalist design. Was going to throw the shotgun, e caller, and water in it, while having my rifle slug for solo calling. It’s looking like the X1a3 might be the better option for a smaller pack.

I have the Kifaru Stryker XL but was hoping to get a smaller pack. Plus I’m not a huge fan of the gun bearer or the plastic buckles dinging on the tripod or anything plastic I’m pulling out.

I should have never sold my team Elk pack haha