Electronic ear protection for duck hunting

Mikido

WKR
sooo I’m 39, would like to protect my hearing. I go through about 2-3 boxes during a season. I’ve noticed this season a bit more ringing than usual.

Any advice? I need to be able to hear the beat of their wings overhead…any real options?

Krgawe

FNG
My husband and I both got Soundgear this year and so far we love them. Check your health insurance, some cover the cost of Soundgear.

Bluefish

WKR
Not cheap, but custom in ear work well. I use a system called cens, imported by Westone and sold under defendear. There are other options, but expect about $1k or so.

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
I’ve tried the decibullz percussion in ear, and hated it. Just not comfortable, and annoying in cold weather

KurtR

WKR
I really need to get some. It’s not two or three boxes but cases so I’m sure that’s why I can’t hear my wife😀

I use the walker also. My ears got rung last year and couldn’t hardly hear out of the right side for a few days so I bought the walker. So far I really like them.

Kurts86

WKR
Sordin Supremes with gel cups are the most comfortable and true to life sound. Definitely much better than walkers or Howard leight impact sports for sound and comfort.

Krgawe

FNG
The one thing with the walkers is that they pick up a lot of wind noise, so much so that I would take them out. You don’t get that with Soundgear Phantoms

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Peltor Comtac Gen 5 is the industry standard and is ruggedized for wet/cold.

That said, you have to slide one ear off to hear yourself call…then drop it back forward last second. It’s easy.

I run sound gear in ear but walkers are good and more affordable I use them at the range. Love both but hunt with the sound gear

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
Ended up getting the sordins from srs tactical. $75 cheaper than amazon

These: SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus filtered Earplugs, triple flanged design, reusable, Black, Medium https://a.co/d/gvyZdra
And the decibullz: Decibullz - Custom Molded... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XN6B7M1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I have been happier with these than over the ear electronic muffs. I find I can’t blow a call with the electronics but I can with these. The decibullz allow a little better background hearing and conversation then the surefires.

Maki35

WKR
Walker's for electronic ear protection.

I wear Surefire EP4 while I'm pheasant hunting. They're lightweight and I don't notice them while I'm on the move.

I use the walker razor electronic muffs, I usually go through about 15-20 boxes a year during bird season and I don't need the hearing damage. They work great, and I hardly notice they're there. Also HUGE pro is they can be found on sale at cabela's for as low as $50 (cad) sometimes