Practical/effective ear protection while hunting

Rob5589

WKR
My ears are pretty beat up so I need the little foam plugs and electronic muffs, especially with brakes. I use Pro Ears, about as low profile as I found many years ago. My kids wear some generic muffs with max nrr so they don't end up like me. Plus I keep them away from brakes.

HoneyDew

WKR
@mflo How do those surefires work for all day wear? Are they comfortable enough or are you putting them when you think you’re nearing a shot? If in for long periods how much ambient noise are they filtering? Just worried about them filtering too much ambient noise (predator or target animal) if wearing them for long periods.

Another vote for a suppressor. I have used electronic hearing aids and foam inserts for years in the military and the forest service and both work and they don’t work. They don’t really provide a solution for all scenarios. A suppressor does, at least in my experience. Having something shoved in my ear drives me crazy and I find it to be uncomfortable after 30 or so minutes, less if I am moving around. My situational awareness is also cut down wearing either muffs or foam inserts.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Do what you have to for now but I like low recoiling rifles for young and new shooters. My preference is a suppressor instead of a brake.
My girls aren't new shooters, they've been killing whitetails for 5 years now. However, the .44 mag scout and muzzleloader arent even close in terms of muzzle blast.

My youngest shot the .35 prone without issue last season at my place and was able to place 3 shots inside 3" at 100 yards. Definitely good enough to kill an animal.

Unfortunately, in Iowa we are limited in rifle selection for whitetails. I may get a .350 Legend upper if the .35 doesn't work out this season. However, I bought the .35 as both a whitetail rifle and backup elk/bear gun for out West. It's very accurate with pretty much every load I've shot out of it and its a keeper.

I looked around briefly yesterday for .358 caliber suppressors and the selection is somewhat limited. I found one by Axis (https://axismfgcnc.com/axis-mfg-dignitary-suppressor-358cal/) and I believe it was SilencerCo that a "universal" or multi-caliber model called the 46M. Anybody have experience with a .358 model?

As others have said, a suppressor instead of a brake would be very helpful.

I’ve also found 3M’s EEP-100 active earplugs to be reasonably comfortable and very effective.

EF88EB3E-B3C1-46B1-9B55-7EC51291ADC7.jpeg

For me, the smaller foam tips are plenty for 12-gauge target shooting, and the larger ones give enough hearing protection for a braked .338 Lapua in my experience.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
From the sound of all the responses I am apparently way old school and the whole hearing protection game has passed me by. I've always wore ear protection when sighting in my rifle or target shooting, where many rounds are shot consecutively. But are we really that concerned about the 1 or 2 shots we might crack off at a whitetail or elk once a year? I guess if your sitting in a box waiting for a deer to show up, or glassing and shooting from a mile away, it isn't a big deal to keep ear protection in, but I can't really imagine sneaking through the northern Wisc. woods, or elk country trying to listen for every faint twig snap or grunts/bugles....etc with hearing protection in.

ODB

WKR
I use the small orange foam ones either on a string or not. Takes 2 secs to pop them in. My ear canals are kind of wonky and I have considered getting custom-fit plugs made. But, like sunglasses, I absolutely hate having anything muffling sound or sight for any length of time.

From the sound of all the responses I am apparently way old school and the whole hearing protection game has passed me by. I've always wore ear protection when sighting in my rifle or target shooting, where many rounds are shot consecutively. But are we really that concerned about the 1 or 2 shots we might crack off at a whitetail or elk once a year? I guess if your sitting in a box waiting for a deer to show up, or glassing and shooting from a mile away, it isn't a big deal to keep ear protection in, but I can't really imagine sneaking through the northern Wisc. woods, or elk country trying to listen for every faint twig snap or grunts/bugles....etc with hearing protection in.
The Howard Leights or the walkers game ear actually amplifies the sounds around you, but blocks anything above a certain decibel that would be capable of damaging your hearing

Shraggs

WKR
@mflo How do those surefires work for all day wear? Are they comfortable enough or are you putting them when you think you’re nearing a shot? If in for long periods how much ambient noise are they filtering? Just worried about them filtering too much ambient noise (predator or target animal) if wearing them for long periods.
I’ll chime in as I have been using them for years.

First, would not use these on the range. Muffs with foam depending on db reduction.

I’d love to use muffs hunting but can’t make it work for various reasons. These work pretty darn well and I recall 22 db reduction. A little low but in real terrain, winds snd trees I’ve never head any ringing with one shit on game.

They can be worn all day. They aren’t uncomfortable and tolerable. They have a tiny plug that can opened and you can hear although muted a bit. Then close before a shot.

mflo

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I definitely don't wear them all day, I put them in when I'm nearing a shot. I will say, with the correct size, they are about the same as a pair of well fitting earbud headphones. On the range, I've worn them for close to an hour or more (with my Peltors on top) and they were comfortable, but I'm always relieved when I take them out.

I would not be wearing them constantly, especially in an area with predator animals around.

I have pretty sensitive ears, and good hearing - and I'd like to keep it that way. That's why I double up. I also have some issues with my cheek weld on my .300wsm causing the right ear muff to come off enough during recoil that it's essential for me to have that extra backup. I learned this the hard way.

I wear defendear. Pricy and made by a hearing aid company. I work where I got them at cost though so it’s worth it to me. I wear them weekly to shoot trap, at the range and hunting. There are cheaper options. But I like these well enough. Should last forever-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
I've shot 1 big game animal with ear protection. It was with a braked rifle and it was the most unsatisfying shot I've ever taken at an animal.

Do what you have to for now but I like low recoiling rifles for young and new shooters. My preference is a suppressor instead of a brake.

To your original question, the ear horn with it outer ear pro is adequate for your situation. If the muzzle is in the shooting house I'd go foam inner ear with muffs over ear. It diminishes the experience but saves young kids hearing and that's more important, imo.
Just curious, why a shot taken with ear protection was the most unsatisfying shot you've taken on game?

wesfromky

WKR
Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible. You might not notice when you shoot without protection, but your ears do. And it will catch up eventually.

wesfromky

WKR
My girls aren't new shooters, they've been killing whitetails for 5 years now. However, the .44 mag scout and muzzleloader arent even close in terms of muzzle blast.

My youngest shot the .35 prone without issue last season at my place and was able to place 3 shots inside 3" at 100 yards. Definitely good enough to kill an animal.

Unfortunately, in Iowa we are limited in rifle selection for whitetails. I may get a .350 Legend upper if the .35 doesn't work out this season. However, I bought the .35 as both a whitetail rifle and backup elk/bear gun for out West. It's very accurate with pretty much every load I've shot out of it and its a keeper.

I looked around briefly yesterday for .358 caliber suppressors and the selection is somewhat limited. I found one by Axis (https://axismfgcnc.com/axis-mfg-dignitary-suppressor-358cal/) and I believe it was SilencerCo that a "universal" or multi-caliber model called the 46M. Anybody have experience with a .358 model?
I can't speak to the .35 whelen, but I went with a deadair wolfman for my .350 legend. Still in jail though. There are a few 9mm cans that can be used for light rifle, or you have the big bore cans like deadair primal. You might also check out the omega 36m, though again, not sure if that will work with your .35 Whelen.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
The 180 grain .35 Whelen rounds we're shooting leave the muzzle at 2,900 fps/3,362 ft. lbs. As a result, I don't know if a 9mm can could take these heavy of loads.

wesfromky

WKR
They might not be able to, you can always check with the manufacturer. To use the wolfman with .350 I need to also have a DeadAir microbrake that reduces the stress on the can. It is rated to full power 5.56 and .300Blackout, along with 350 in that config. I went with that can because it will live on a 9mm PCC the rest of the year. You might look at the Omega 36m, as it is rile rated, and if the diameter is too small still, the 46m or deadair primal.

Regardless of which can, it wont be available for this fall, but if you start the process now, you will have it by summer. Probably.