Electronic ear protection for duck hunting

willtim

WKR
I'm on my second season with Tetra CustomShield. Not cheap but I can hear ducks and call with them.

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I see you made your decision already, but in case anyone else is reading I’ll throw my vote towards ProEar Classics. They aren’t cheap but quite a bit cheaper than the Tetras and they’re pretty darn close to nothing at all as far as hearing goes. I can hear wings, my dog in the weeds, and buddies talking. My only issue is when I call it seems to change the pitch of the calls a bit. I assume that’s because the volume is a bit higher than the limit, but does take a bit of getting used to.

I can't recommend which ones to get, but I will say avoid Axil. They spend a lot of money on marketing, but their product it pretty well junk in my experience. Often I just use silicone plugs with baffles sold for concerts. Takes the edge of the shot, but can still hear relatively well.

Wrench

WKR
There's a guy on the hide selling peltor eep100's for 100 bux tyd. I bought some and they are excellent. I can hear better wearing than without.

I've been wearing Walker Razor electronic muffs in the goose blind. If there is a lot of activity I keep them over my ears and the sound up. If its quiet I keep them on my head and my ears uncovered so I can talk with my friends.

j_volt

WKR
I use the Walker Razor Electronic Muffs when duck hunting, but I only duck hunt once or twice a year. Personally, I think they are extremely annoying, but I have already lost too much of my hearing.

I pheasant hunt ~25 days a year, and for that, I use the DefendEar Hunter Passive. I cannot stand the amplified steps on grass that the electronic versions seem to create, and I like these a lot since they are not electronic. I can hear most birds get up with them in, but my hearing is limited at times. For example, a bird cackled last week. I knew it cackled, but I couldn't tell how far away it was. An ear doctor "scanned" my ears and made these for me. They fit perfectly, and weren't terribly expensive (~$150 + FSA).

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
Coming back full circle….

I returned the sordins. Too small for my ear and my head (several reviews mention this). Audio was fanstastic however, but over the ear protection is just not realistic with head gear, for active hunting.

For active small game hunting, I settled with the walker in ear silencers. Good compromise between price and effectiveness.

For target shooting rifles (braked included), I use normal in ear plugs with walker electronic razor muffs over then, on full blast, let’s me hear a decent amount.

For trap, I use the over the ear walker electronic razors.

For rifle hunting, I use the around the neck plug ins.

Thanks for all the responses.