Elk Diaphragm Calls

I have several sizes, brands and tones. They will all work, once you learn to manipulate the tones with tongue pressure.
It will be difficult to find one that makes you a perfect caller instantly.

When I first started they all seemed too big or too small.
I slid it around in my mouth depending what I wanted to do.
Now, they all work, but I have some for higher pitched locating bugles, and others for cow, and some for more raspy. I even have one for a smaller bull sound.

Don't be frustrated. Take your time. This too is part of gathering gear and like scouting, its fun. You aren't buying 3 and throwing away. Eventually you will be able to use all 3. Some I didn't like, are now my cow in heat calls. You wont throw them away, you will just file them away for use later when you get dialed in.

I would say the majority of people have the small,medium pallet.
I'd start there, even if you are a large, you can use the smaller ones and create some good high notes with decent control on the throttle.

Bates77

FNG
Hoping for some assistance and not just arrogant "it was easy for me just keep trying" replies. I have a very high and narrow palate that forms a sharp V and runs to my soft palate at the back of my mouth. I cannot get the rear part of the call to seal to the roof of my mouth because it is still over part of the V. I have included some pictures after I pushed the rear of the call up to the roof of my mouth to force contact and then gently removed the call from my mouth. Feels like a solid quarter inch Gap at least. Maybe my palate is so screwed up I just can't ever use a diaphragm. Also, this is a Primos mini dome, and i have also tried multiple times to contact Phelps calls as well as mfk calls for assistance or possibly a custom-made call but neither one will respond.

Attachments

• 1024191520.jpg
    1024191520.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1024191514.jpg
    1024191514.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1024191517.jpg
    1024191517.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 16

Bates77

FNG
Also, I am realistic and don't expect to be a master right away , but I have played with them off and on for a few years and could never make a real sound even by accident. Elk and coyote calls both. Just massive air leaking

There is a mini master diaphragm from Rocky Mountain hunting calls for narrow palates. That may be something to try.

Does the metal band fit your palate ? If so you can try trimming the tape portion with a scissors.

Bates77

FNG
Thanks, might have to try that. Ya it just barely fits. I tried trimming just a tiny bit to hopefully raise the call height in my mouth and close the rear air gap, but it seems to have hurt my sound a touch. I can get kind of calf like high pitched sounds occasionally but I have to blow harder to compensate for the air leakage.

Hoping for some assistance and not just arrogant "it was easy for me just keep trying" replies. I have a very high and narrow palate that forms a sharp V and runs to my soft palate at the back of my mouth. I cannot get the rear part of the call to seal to the roof of my mouth because it is still over part of the V. I have included some pictures after I pushed the rear of the call up to the roof of my mouth to force contact and then gently removed the call from my mouth. Feels like a solid quarter inch Gap at least. Maybe my palate is so screwed up I just can't ever use a diaphragm. Also, this is a Primos mini dome, and i have also tried multiple times to contact Phelps calls as well as mfk calls for assistance or possibly a custom-made call but neither one will respond.

FWIW, I also could not make a sound with the primos mini dome calls. (Other than turkey sounds). I PM’d ElkNut and he suggested the black and gray AMP reeds from Phelps. I just received them today and was making a bugle immediatel. It’s not perfect and I’m no expert, but I made the sound with the gray reed and could not produce the sound with the primos mini dome.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I also could not make a sound with the primos mini dome calls. (Other than turkey sounds). I PM’d ElkNut and he suggested the black and gray AMP reeds from Phelps. I just received them today and was making a bugle immediatel. It’s not perfect and I’m no expert, but I made the sound with the gray reed and could not produce the sound with the primos mini dome.
I also have a narrow palate an like Amp grey. All of the Elk101 C.jacobsen work well for me as well. I favor the low tone of the amp grey. I produce a great challenge bugle with the contender.

Does anyone use a diaphragm call that uses dentures? With my upper denture in I guess you could say I have a artificial palate. Would it be best to remove the upper denture when using a diaphragm call?

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for or if it will help you, but Rocky Mountain elk call has this size chart, goes from low to high profile plate and they say wide or narrow frame next to call name

Attachments

• 537D5B1B-5167-4272-A05B-09A54F79BE6C.jpeg
    537D5B1B-5167-4272-A05B-09A54F79BE6C.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 27
It's interesting......I normally use Carlton's calls, so the 5/8" frame and I don't even have to think about it. They go in my mouth and good sounds immediately come out without even thinking about it. So I ordered some 5/8" Phelps calls and tried them. Laying one of those over or next to the Carlton's they look identical in size and shape, but I really struggle to get any sounds with them, let alone good sounds. But I tried Phelp's 1/2" frames, and they flow like the Carlton's 5/8".

I've never liked the sonic dome type calls or any of the ones with the raised metal piece, yet the Primos Mini-sonic domes work fine. I tried one of Carlton's new "Native" reeds this year, and I struggle to get sounds with it. Yet it looks identical to his old calls.

It's really hit and miss for me, so I stick with what I know works. I'm just afraid they're going to discontinue them because I like them so much.

Funny you say that. I ordered the blue Native double, and a couple Native brown triples just to try. Hope I like them. Just the same, I better order up a couple Carlton triples just in case

I just got my Native calls in. The brown triples and blue double. They both sound great! Love the smooth finish. I will be ordering more now that I've confirmed they will work for me. Great calls Wayne Carlton!

So I was going through lots of calls trying to find ones that fit my mouth and that make the best sounds for me. Started getting expensive. So I started making my own. I trashed a few but I got lucky early. I have made a few that sound absolutely wonderful. Made up my own little fabrication rig complete with a linear scale to measure tensions on the latex . The sense of satisfaction is awesome. Now to just see how they work in September. They are great at running the wife out of the room or getting myself run out of the house!