Squeaks and squeals

I have always struggled with diaphragm calls, like constant gagging, not able to make a sound. I decided I wanted to try again so I grabbed a couple, and lo and behold I’m getting a few squeals and squeaks out of them. How long did it take you all to go from squeaks and squeals to elk talk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with turkey calls and it took a couple years to get anything close to sounding good enough that I would use them in the woods. After that elk sounds started to come a lot easier.

Elknut's "Sounds by the Elk" quickly got me on the right track. Paul has alot of great stuff that is just priceless when it comes to calling elk in.

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
I too struggled for years. The only solution was to try as many diaphragms as I could. Phelps are the only ones that work for me.
If you reach out to Jason, and describe your issue he will point you in the right direction as to which call may work best for you.

OP
Andrew12gauge
I too struggled for years. The only solution was to try as many diaphragms as I could. Phelps are the only ones that work for me.
If you reach out to Jason, and describe your issue he will point you in the right direction as to which call may work best for you.

I don’t know that I have an issue at this point other than getting those squeaks and squeals to actually turn into elk sounds. Just gotta keep practicing I’m sure, about 2 of every 5 or so sounds I make could be considered passable as a cow call

cstab

FNG
Yeah I struggle with them too. One day I’m hoping it clicks.

Mag_7s

WKR
I don’t know that I have an issue at this point other than getting those squeaks and squeals to actually turn into elk sounds. Just gotta keep practicing I’m sure, about 2 of every 5 or so sounds I make could be considered passable as a cow call
emoji23.png

I hear ya, I couldn't even make a sound out of other brands, and almost instantly wanted to gag. For me, the amp frame fit the roof of my mouth much differently, and with no gag reflex. Finding a consistent seal between the roof of your mouth, the diagram and your tongue where the only escarpment of air is over the latex is key. Then you just have to learn how to control the pressure, which is the hard part 😃

To answer the question, I have never had an issue. It's unfortunate some are debilitated by the gag reflex. I think there's some mind over matter and telling yourself you're not gonna choke. In some cases, it could be starting out with incorrect position. Some have the ability to be shaped to a persons mouth.. .$02

Marble

WKR
To answer the question, I have never had an issue. It's unfortunate some are debilitated by the gag reflex. I think there's some mind over matter and telling yourself you're not gonna choke. In some cases, it could be starting out with incorrect position. Some have the ability to be shaped to a persons mouth.. .$02
This is my experience too. I was able to use the calls from when I was fairly young.

For new turkey hunters, I just get them to start blowing air over the Reed and have them make a noise. Once they figure that out, they can then move on to manipulating the call and making noise.

Keep practicing. You can do it!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DDH00

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I started out the same way man! It took me about a month. The best thing I ever did was keep it in my truck and when i went on a fairly long drive I would just practice and practice. There are a few youtube videos that help quite a bit.

Jeffro

FNG
It was all about fitment for me. I finally found out thanks to a dental hygenist that my palate is very narrow. Formed that way from mouth breathing as a kid due to sinus issues. I can only use Phelps Amp calls. There are no other on the market that worked for me. I could kind of use original phelps calls, but no where near the quality of sounds from the amp for me. Now if they would just make AMP turkey calls.

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but fitment isn't that big of an issue for me.

The available instructional videos out there from Corey Jacobsen and Paul Medel (ElkNut)did a phenomenal job of helping me get the mechanics down. I prefer Paul's instruction as it made more sense to me, but they were both useful.

Fit and practice help with tone and quality, but I feel like I can make a reasonable cow call with any of the reeds I've tried.

Good luck!

OP
Andrew12gauge
Update, I would say I’ve been able to make good cow calls and bugles for about 2 weeks now so I guess the correct answer is it took me about a week to start making actual elk sounds using mouth reeds.

Whip

WKR
Another good way to get over gagging is to just put the call in your mouth and leave it there. Don't try to make any sounds, just leave it there while you go about other stuff. Use your tongue to move it around, position it at the top of your mouth briefly, then back in the cheek. The whole idea is that you just need to be completely comfortable having it in your mouth before actually trying to make sounds with it.