Emergency blanket actual use?

Has anyone ever used an emergency blanket? I’ve been packing one around for years but I wonder how well they really work. Not sure if people have stories about how well or not they have fared with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will only find stories about how well they worked, the ones that the blanket didn’t work so well for never returned home.

I carry one too that’s still folded up. It will prob crumble to pieces IF I ever get it out to use because it’s been in my “go kit” from 7 years ago.

In an emergency with nothing else - they will trap some heat. Needless if you have a sleeping bag to use, “if” always together.

When I set up camp and push out from there - it rides along (sleeping bag stays at camp).

I used after a road running race one time when they were handing them out. Again - it traps heat and does its job.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Has anyone ever used an emergency blanket? I’ve been packing one around for years but I wonder how well they really work. Not sure if people have stories about how well or not they have fared with them

I slept at the truck after getting to the TH late one night. Grabbed the sleeping bag out of the pack instead of the spare one. Got up the next morning and in a rush didn’t repack the bag. Hiked in, hunting all day, and didn’t realize the problem until after setting the tipi up, eating dinner, and getting ready for sleep. It was 7’ish hour round trip back to the truck, so said screw it and slept in puff jacket and pants inside the emergency blanket with ky buddies down jacket around the feet. Actually sweated out pretty badly. Temp was well below freezing. Wasn’t the best night of sleep, but way better than without it.

I have. A couple of times in .mil and again with some boat motor issue years ago that caused a Cold windy overnight.

Better than nothing But they aren’t magic. Loud crinkle sucks. Not really any of insulation but the reflection seems to help With heat and you build an air pocket. Could not tell you if it helped more than a piece of plastic sheet would. They do block wind. Would be usful as a roof liner if you had to build an emergency shelter.

bottom line is I still carry one and think they are better than nothing and worth their weight. .

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been carrying the same one for probably 15 years and never opened it. I don’t know if I should replace it since it’s old or toss it since I’m not using it haha

Carried for 20 years,never used,I think your better off packing and Houdini wind shirt,at least you may use it.
I do keep a thicker one in wife and daughters car and always have a usgi wool blanket in my car.

VernAK

WKR
I've used the one called Space Blanket many years ago. Chasing after a ram, darkness caught up with me and I had to spend a night on the mountain. We always carried a couple plumber's candles in our pack in those days [still do]. Sitting with my back to the hill, I put the candle between my crossed legs and wrapped myself in the Space Blanket. It made the night much more tolerable.

OP
Hectocotylus
I've used the one called Space Blanket many years ago. Chasing after a ram, darkness caught up with me and I had to spend a night on the mountain. We always carried a couple plumber's candles in our pack in those days [still do]. Sitting with my back to the hill, I put the candle between my crossed legs and wrapped myself in the Space Blanket. It made the night much more tolerable.

I could definitely see that making a big difference if you had a heat source in there too. Good idea

Alaska92

FNG

I have done this a few times on sheep hunts. Instead of candles I use Sterno. I have packed cans of Sterno in my kit for years. Excellent fire starter as well. I killed a large ram alongside a glacier one year after an all day stalk. It got dark soon after. I was a few miles from my tent. It started raining. I put on my puff layer under my rain gear and sat cross legged. Lit a Sterno and wrapped up in a Space Blanket. I didn’t get much sleep but stayed reasonably warm.

CMF

WKR
Used one on a steep hillside to put elk meat on, but it ripped to pieces in the process. I haven't carried one since.

Jethro

WKR
Only time I've seen blanket used was as a meat tarp. Very difficult to get it to lay flat in the brush and meat stuck to it badly. I still own a blanket, but no longer carry it.

EdP

WKR
Instead of candles I use Sterno. I have packed cans of Sterno in my kit for years.
I have done the same thing with a wool blanket and Sterno can to stay warm in a pop up blind. Sterno cans used to come with lids that could be pried off and put back on to save the can for reuse. No more. Now the metal is so thin the lid gets destroyed during removal. I have gone to the liquid fuel cans with a wick because they have a lid that screws off and on.

Are you talking about the mylar sheet like in the below picture? If so you should use it for a night in your backyard just to see how bad they suck. It will block wind and does warm you up, but it condensates like crazy if you use it as a sleeping bag/quilt. If you don't vent somehow, you will end up soaking wet and if it's really cold out that will put you in worse shape than before.

I've used mine twice in combination with a Borah bivvy and was warm enough to sleep (some) down to the high-40's just wearing clothes and the emergency blanket. But once I got wet I had to work hard to keep any breeze off of me. Then when you pack it up wet and open it back up later, all the coating sticks together and peels apart. One time use really. Plus the above mentioned noise unless you like pretending you are sleeping in a potato chip bag.

Emergency_Blanket_in_use_on_white.jpg

I bought the Escape Lite bivvy to try out as I've heard it's much better at managing moisture with the trade-off of not being as warm and larger size/weight (about the size of a soda can). But haven't had the opportunity to try it out quite yet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I bought the Escape Lite bivvy to try out as I've heard it's much better at managing moisture with the trade-off of not being as warm and larger size/weight (about the size of a soda can). But haven't had the opportunity to try it out quite yet.

That is actually what I used, not a space blanket. It condensates bad as well- as in a full night of sleep and there was a small pool of water in the bottom.