Evaluation of Target

AZ Vince

WKR
Howdy all.
I don't have anyone I can ask this of and want to get some constrictive criticism. I'm not looking for pats on the back or praise.
I don't know what standard I should hold myself to. I've held myself to 600 yards on game, if conditions are favorable to me, and wondering if I'm shooting good enough or if I should perhaps try to hold myself to an even higher standard?
I want a clean kill and before I shoot I have to have the knowledge that I can make the shot. Any miss has to be a complete surprise. Anyway, since I don't know any long distance hunters I figured I'd post here and see what you all had to say. I'm thinking of going out further on game and would eventually like to get out to 800 Yards or so. I won't shoot on game at any distance before practicing on the range. The target is at 400 meters, about 425 Yards. At 500 meters I'm holding a 3 1/2" - 4" group.
What day you all?

8c4d46c262b752a26436d487d2f63c1d.jpg

Howdy all.
I don't have anyone I can ask this of and want to get some constrictive criticism. I'm not looking for pats on the back or praise.
I don't know what standard I should hold myself to. I've held myself to 600 yards on game, if conditions are favorable to me, and wondering if I'm shooting good enough or if I should perhaps try to hold myself to an even higher standard?
I want a clean kill and before I shoot I have to have the knowledge that I can make the shot. Any miss has to be a complete surprise. Anyway, since I don't know any long distance hunters I figured I'd post here and see what you all had to say. I'm thinking of going out further on game and would eventually like to get out to 800 Yards or so. I won't shoot on game at any distance before practicing on the range. The target is at 400 meters, about 425 Yards. At 500 meters I'm holding a 3 1/2" - 4" group.
What day you all?

Is that from a field position or bench? What rifle/scope ?

It appears you are shooting 3/4 moa or so. That would be about a 6" group at 800 and inside the vital area of most game animals. Do you feel this type og group, or more important 1st round shots will fall into a high percentage of hits? Here are questions I feel you need to think about before you try it on game.

You have already addressed conditions, but I would shoot in some wind at 600 to 800 to have a good understanding of what goes on. Then use that knowledge to your ability.

If your groups are all inside 3/4 moa for total group size, then now I would look at first round placement. Can you put the first one within the .5 moa of the aim point most every time. Small groups are important, but more important is the ability to place the shot where we want it. A cold bore first round hit low or high, left or right of point of aim will not work if it falls out side the vital zone of the game. I would strive to get those first round hits with in .5 moa of aim point. If you are shooting .75 moa groups this should be doable.

Also it will surely include the size of game but at 800 some might think that is stretching a 6.5. The last one I worked with at 800 yards with a 140 Berger was down to an impact velocity of 1700 fps and an impact energy of 895 ft lbs. That may not have been the fastest 6.5 load around but something I feel deserves considering.

One other thought. For me, shooting from a pack is fine, but it I have found I am much better off a solid bipod like a Harris. This may help when you practice to go farther and in time might extend your effective maximum distance you feel comfortable taking game.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff.
You've taught me a lot by your reply and have given me much to consider.

Thank you Jeff.
You've taught me a lot by your reply and have given me much to consider.

You are welcome, it sounds to me now all you need is a dialed in ballistic app and some field practice. Then you will soon have the answers you seek. But for sure you are shooting well. Good luck and have a great season.

Jeff

You are welcome, it sounds to me now all you need is a dialed in ballistic app and some field practice. Then you will soon have the answers you seek. But for sure you are shooting well. Good luck and have a great season.

Jeff
PM inbound.

Back