Exercises for archers

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I know the best exercises for bow muscles is actually shooting your bow, but what does everyone do to get stronger and keep those muscles in shape other than shooting. Looking for exercises I may be over looking. Currently I do some of the following:

- Pull ups
- Renegade rows
- Archers pull (15# DB in one hand and 25# cable pull)
- Banded pull aparts

Anything else people are doing?

BK

That's a solid list. In addition to renegade rows, you can do bent-over rows with a barbell, which allows you to go heavier. Another idea is pulling surgical tubing in the same motion as drawing a bow.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I like to hold something heavy, like a full Nalgene bottle, with my bow arm out like I'm at full draw until I can't hold it any longer. I do this randomly at the office so I can build up my endurance while I'm not shooting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I got my wife the bow trainer, it's a stick with elastic bands. I use it more than she does. Great to warm up with, and use on days I'm unable to shoot.

Not an exercise, but maybe find some elastic bands to lies on like drawing and letting down your bow.

LostArra

WKR
Recommended to me by a physical therapist: Crossover Symmetry/Iron Scap
This is a set of exercises that concentrate on the muscles making up the rotator cuff and keeping the humerus centered in the glenoid.
The Iron Scap is strengthening and I do it more often.

I didn't buy the "program" and got my crossover cords from Fit Cords who used to be the Crossover Symmetry supplier.
It is really an eye opener how these exercises isolate those rotator cuff muscles.

Incorporating the renegade row with push ups is a good combination too.

Last edited:

PNW22

FNG
In all honesty, don't isolate your muscles. Your body moves as a unit. Do deadlifts, rows, and pull-ups, and shoot your bow. The more you can incorporate your entire skeletal system and utilize your core, the better off you will be. Rarely will you ONLY use your "shooting" muscles in the field. Standing side hill, kneeling, peeling a tree, lots of examples. Landmine rows are also awesome

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
In all honesty, don't isolate your muscles. Your body moves as a unit. Do deadlifts, rows, and pull-ups, and shoot your bow. The more you can incorporate your entire skeletal system and utilize your core, the better off you will be. Rarely will you ONLY use your "shooting" muscles in the field. Standing side hill, kneeling, peeling a tree, lots of examples. Landmine rows are also awesome

Yes I try to do a lot of full body compound movements. Lots of squats, dead lifts and kettle bells swings. Was just curious to add more variation to keep those bow muscles guessing.

LostArra

WKR

Very good point. My Crossover Symmetry suggestion was in addition to a full body workout. The Iron Scap takes about 5 minutes. Archery related injuries are so common to the shoulder I think some emphasis on shoulder health is important if you plan on bow hunting in your senior years.