EXO 3500 or HPG Ute?

ElkNut1

WKR
The Asat does fade some & I believe this is why Steve & Lenny discontinued it. We had 2 of the Exo's in Asat & did see fading but not a big deal, it isn't a fashion show out there! (grin) Ours had as much blood & dirt on them as anything but they were bullet proof packs. We carried 3 different elk out on 2 of them, a 1/2 an elk on each load per pack, not a single issue with 100# loads, no stitching loosing or zipper issues. Honestly, I'd put the Exo Pack against any pack on the market today for hunting off your back, day hunts or packing as much weight as is reasonably doable for terrain we all face. These are one tough pack! If I had any issues I would talk with Steve & get things worked out, these guys will stand behind their product as good as anyone!

ElkNut1

Shrek

WKR
No , he just uses his a lot. If you don't know Jon Boy he guides in the fall and then spends his free time hiking and taking photos all over Montana.

Shrek

WKR
I read where Paul attests that the Exo is as good as any made but I don't see mystery ranch or Kifaru falling apart in one season. There is a whole higher level of quality components , material , and stitching used in Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. The Exo is a pretty good pack that's assembled in the USA and most people won't wear one out in a season but claiming it is as durable as MR and Kifaru is not true. If my camo pack that I paid extra for faded out in one season I'd be PO'd.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I read where Paul attests that the Exo is as good as any made but I don't see mystery ranch or Kifaru falling apart in one season. There is a whole higher level of quality components , material , and stitching used in Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. The Exo is a pretty good pack that's assembled in the USA and most people won't wear one out in a season but claiming it is as durable as MR and Kifaru is not true. If my camo pack that I paid extra for faded out in one season I'd be PO'd.

Guess its a good thing you dont own one then. :p For a first year flagship pack The Exo is top in my book (My Opinion) They havent been doing it for 30-40 years like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch has. So some growing pains and learning curves are to be expected. They made some pretty good changes in 2015 that Im excited about so Im sticking with them. The Exo fits me better then anything Ive tried but thats just me. I dont expect others to have the same views. Plus I know that if Had something like what JB posted they would take care of it. Im a big Kifaru fan also Love Patrick and his crew. Your right its hard to beat Kifaru because they have a Pioneer behind the wheel of the Kifaru Machine.
Im sure Exo will get there also. Im happy to keep using the exo brand. I have 0 reservations about it.

I see a "Throw the exo pack off the cliff" challenge coming up =-)

Jon Boy

WKR
I didn't mean to ruffle any photos feathers with those pics. Just sharing my experiences with the OP in regards to his question and hope he finds the right pack for him. No need to defend the exo, thats not what the thread is about. If it works for your great! I really wanted it to work for me but it just wasn't meant to be (im really hard on gear)
As far as being in contact with steve and lenny, I certainly have been. But thats a whole nother thread and another thing that sets MR, Kifaru, and SG apart.
Have a great day everybody!

This is a 2014 pack ftr. Having said that I've seen the 2015 and the HPG is still built better IMO (what this thread is all about). There HPG is a stout pack. Not sure what the need for pics was but here they are for all of those interested.

Jon,
I know we've talked through emails and we are going to be replacing the pack here very soon for you. I'm sorry we haven't been able to get it out sooner. We have seen a small handful of last years ASAT packs do this, and do not know what the exact cause was. It is only on the ASAT and not the Foliage or Coyote Brown 500d Cordura. We aren't sure if it was a fabric issue or a coating issue that they seem to fray and fall apart relatively quickly.

On the zippers that is only the second main #10 failure I have seen, we use an American made lifetime warranty zipper and it has held up extremely well for us. We did change to a larger #7 non-waterproof zipper on the lid for 2015 as we did have a few issues with those.

Thanks,
Steve