Exo K4 vs X-Curve vs Duplex Tactical

Has anyone here used these frames compared to one another? I’m curious as to how they compare concerning heavy and moderate loads as well as general comfort. I currently have an XCurve and it is very rigid. I’m wondering if the other newer frames offer any benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have an xcurve and a 26" stay k4. there are things about both that I like. IMO the K4 bag layout is a huge improvement over SG's bags, but, SG's bags have more intuitive connection systems. Up to 90#, i really can't say there's a difference one way or the other for load hauling, if anything i'd give SG an edge for loading because i like having the little panel to make the bottom of the load shelf.

lintond

WKR
I own all three after doing a comparison this year to see if there was something better for me. I used the duplex for about 8 yrs. The K4 and SG carried the best for me, with the SG probably being the best. I preferred the feature sets of the K4 so it’s what I’ve been using this year. I did switch out the lumbar pad for a thinner pad similar to the SG which seemed to fit my back/butt best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR
I used a duplex tactical and the duplex lite for a number of years and this last year tried out the K4. For me I have to say the K4 checks the block and I believe it is the best frame, plus the pack layout is great as others have stated. I have carried moose quarters with both of the aforementioned kifaru frames and have not yet with the K4 but I have had 100 pounds in it and I trust it to hold up. With that much weight they are about equal but the K4 is more comfortable at all more normal weights.

I have tried the SG packs a couple times but not for extended use, I think the thicker lumbar pads actually work a lot better for me especially with any real weight and I prefer the more substantial hip belts on the kifaru frames and K4.

WCT3

FNG
Have any of you ever used a Seek Outside pack? I have a Lanner that doesn't carry weight very well for me and I'll probably switch to one of these brands but would like to see if anyone has a comparison.

bozeman

WKR
SO was my first ‘nice pack’ and it began to squeak with no resolution. Have had both Exo and SG sense and don’t plan to go back.

WCT3

FNG
SO was my first ‘nice pack’ and it began to squeak with no resolution. Have had both Exo and SG sense and don’t plan to go back.
Mine has started to squeak this season too. Do you prefer the exo or SG?

bozeman

WKR
Honestly, it’s a toss up. I can use either and have. Both are solid products and carry weight extremely well.

WCT3

FNG
Honestly, it’s a toss up. I can use either and have. Both are solid products and carry weight extremely well.
Glad to hear it. I am leaning towards the Exo because I like the bag design better but I'm tempted to try to fit my SO bag on an SG frame.

I have all three. Do you have any specific questions?

Generally, for hunting I prefer the SG because of the weight and comfort.

For meat hauling, I prefer the Kifaru. The SG belt pinches the points of my hips with a lot of weight and can barrel too. The Kifaru is flat out more comfortable for heavy loads.

I think the K4 may be a good compromise between both, but I honestly haven't used it that much because the other two do what I need them to do.

WCT3

FNG
I have all three. Do you have any specific questions?

Generally, for hunting I prefer the SG because of the weight and comfort.

For meat hauling, I prefer the Kifaru. The SG belt pinches the points of my hips with a lot of weight and can barrel too. The Kifaru is flat out more comfortable for heavy loads.

I think the K4 may be a good compromise between both, but I honestly haven't used it that much because the other two do what I need them to do.
Is the SG lumbar pad "non slip" like the K4 is?

I agree with @MT_Wyatt, mostly. I don't think the SG is that tacky, but it is rough and should have an increased coefficient of static friction. But with heavy weight even super glue on a bad pack will just strip the skin off your lower back / ass.

A lot of folks like the K4 bags better which I kind of agree; however, for minimalist mounting hunting the SG bags are lighter. For instance, the SG sly 6900 weights 5-8oz compared to K4 5000 (5650 total) which weights 5-13oz. I tend to lean in the camp less pockets for a lighter base pack weight and in this case its less weight with 1350 in extra space. All that said, I am currently using the K4 5000 and it is awesome but may be going back to SG sky 6400 or 6900 for the above reasons. Both carry amazing and both fit me well.

sivart

WKR
The EXO bag converts to the meat shelf in seconds. You don't even have to remove the load lifters. And you don't actually use the bag to cinch the meat, thus you don't smash all of your shit in the bag. I don't know why all pack makers don't us the same concept. This is one of the primary reasons I run EXO

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Mine has started to squeak this season too. Do you prefer the exo or SG?
Mine started to squeak last season and I added some wax to the bottom where the frame tubes come together. Took the frame apart and added some string wax. Seems fine so far

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Kifaru tactical frame with a Nomad 2 bag. I bought it probably around 2017 so it may not be the same model you are asking about. I used it for my moose hunt in 2018. It was perfect for hauling moose quarters on the bone. The frame handled the loads as well as I could ask, as well as all my training loads before the hunt. I have kept the pack just in case I end up affording another moose hunt someday. I think it was as perfect as you get for that hunt. Not as bulky to wear as a Barneys or similar pack, but great with a load.

I also got an Exo K2 3500 somewhere around that same time. It became the pack that got the most use when hunting. The Kifaru frame is rigid laterally, it's comfortable but you won't forget you are wearing a frame pack. The Exo moves with my body much better as I move through brush and other terrain. It's rigid vertically but flexes laterally. It handles weight very well, but you can forget you are wearing a frame pack day hunting with a light load. I just got in a K4 but I've only got a few training hikes in it so far. I think it will handle weight even better than the K2, and I never had any complaints about the K2.

For my opinion, the Exo has the better bag layout and frame to hunt with. If I kill I'll take the first load out with the Exo, and I have no problem taking all following loads out with it too. If I'm packing an elk for example though, I like that I can throw some water bottles and my survival kit in the batwings of the Kifaru and haul meat with it after getting the first load to the truck in the Exo. I don't have to unload the gear out of the Exo, just grab the Kifaru and go.

Both are comfortable and work very well with weight. If I'm hauling something really heavy or bulky and awkward that's pretty much what I ordered my Kifaru to do. It excels at that. People on the same moose hunt I went on talked about packing their big raft and motor on frame packs across land to access more territory, I wanted the ability to do the same. I think the Exo handles weight as well as the Kifaru, but the bag I have on the Kifaru handles bulk better.

The EXO bag converts to the meat shelf in seconds. You don't even have to remove the load lifters. And you don't actually use the bag to cinch the meat, thus you don't smash all of your shit in the bag. I don't know why all pack makers don't us the same concept. This is one of the primary reasons I run EXO
Agree it’s stupid fast to get to the load shelf. However the exo smashes stuff in your bag as well since the bottom of bag stays tight to frame creating a wedge. Once you tighten bag back to frame the meat will push against bag pretty good.

Jdub

FNG
I’ve got both a SG Xcurve and Exo K4. I have zero complaints about the SG system, but at the end of the day, I prefer the K4. I feel like they’ve struck a great balance of adding a tiny bit of weight over the xcurve to make an all around great pack.