Exo Mountain K4?

I went with a lot less aggressive taper than the K3 bags, so there is more volume down there now, but it's still there. I like the advantages it offers. Weight distribution in regards to how the pack is loaded is very overlooked in my opinion. The tapered bag forces gear to sit up higher in the pack rather than having everything slump to the bottom.
Great to hear Steve. Yes, I completely understand your design philosophy; however, for those of us that still use a sleeping bag (down) and like to put it in a stuff sack, at least the k3 made it awkward and ended up losing space at the bottom. I've tried the stuffing it loose and it just didn't seem to save space or time for me.

Another option is to use a compression stuff sack which could get it compressed small enough to fit in the bottom. Bottomline is dealt with it on the K3 as the overall pacakge of Exo packs far outshine my only complaint.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Great to hear Steve. Yes, I completely understand your design philosophy; however, for those of us that still use a sleeping bag (down) and like to put it in a stuff sack, at least the k3 made it awkward and ended up losing space at the bottom. I've tried the stuffing it loose and it just didn't seem to save space or time for me.

Another option is to use a compression stuff sack which could get it compressed small enough to fit in the bottom. Bottomline is dealt with it on the K3 as the overall pacakge of Exo packs far outshine my only complaint.
I just put mine in upright on one side and pack my shelter on the other and I use a down bag in a dry bag.

sr80

WKR

ive never used an exo, i use a stuff sack as well but hearing this i would think i would stuff something small under the sleeping bag compression sack in that little space, maybe my kill kit or something to make use of it.

ive never used an exo, i use a stuff sack as well but hearing this i would think i would stuff something small under the sleeping bag compression sack in that little space, maybe my kill kit or something to make use of it.
Yeah that’s what I did do but still wasn’t great because it put sleeping bag higher
Then I wanted it. On the k3 the bottom was about 8” wide top was 11” so sleeping bag had to be 6-7” off bottom before before it fit well.

Nolanb

FNG
Hey Steve, how many days do you suppose a guy could get out of the 3600 bag? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a k3 until I seen this thread. But now it's looking like I'm going to be doing a pre order in Salt Lake!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Steve, how many days do you suppose a guy could get out of the 3600 bag? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a k3 until I seen this thread. But now it's looking like I'm going to be doing a pre order in Salt Lake!
It will really depend on a person's gear. I could get 7 days with my K3 3200 with a lid in Alaska during the summer. So, I would say 8 to 9 with a 3600 sized bag.

I’m always truly amazed how some people are able to get all their gear in such small bags. I’ve got lightweight gear, try to pack like a minimalist, and I’d be damned if I can’t get it all in at least a 5500 sized pack for anything involving my camp. Now I don’t use the load shelf on my way in for holding food, etc. as I’m hoping to haul meat and my camp at the same time. Seriously, I’m going to need someone to give me a “master class” on how to pack!! Seeing stuff like this frustrates me, because I feel like I’m (and might truly be) doing something wrong.

I’m always truly amazed how some people are able to get all their gear in such small bags. I’ve got lightweight gear, try to pack like a minimalist, and I’d be damned if I can’t get it all in at least a 5500 sized pack for anything involving my camp. Now I don’t use the load shelf on my way in for holding food, etc. as I’m hoping to haul meat and my camp at the same time. Seriously, I’m going to need someone to give me a “master class” on how to pack!! Seeing stuff like this frustrates me, because I feel like I’m (and might truly be) doing something wrong.
I think there smaller then us. Only explanation i have. As my camp gear is minimal enough most people think I'm crazy.
I think its just size medium vs xl/2xl

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think there smaller then us. Only explanation i have. As my camp gear is minimal enough most people think I'm crazy.
I think its just size medium vs xl/2xl
This certainly could be, smaller sleeping pad, smaller sleeping bag, smaller jackets. I'm tight at 7 days, like hardly able to close the bag. Not using the load shelf though.

Could be size, I use a down bag and puffy, could not do it with a synthetic bag or thick synthetic puffy. My rain jacket goes on top of my pack bag under the lid. I also do not being 2 of any clothing item, so other than jackets, long johns, hat and gloves my clothes are not in the bag.

I also sometimes have to pack the bag twice to get things to fit, but by day two have adequate room. I have also been known to hold the bag open and compress the contents with my foot, not exactly gentle on gear.

Xerute

FNG
The anticipation for this pack is at an all-time high. Backpacks is all Exo does and they seem to really have taken the best of what they already had and make it even better.
3200 is designed for an average of 3-4 days with decent gear management and packing well, the 3600 will probably add a day or 2. So really depends on what you pack and how you pack. Hope this helps.

Man the K4 is looking great! Steve it looks like you stuck with a similar design to the K3 lid. Had seen prototypes where the zipper was in a different location whether it was on top or more towards the outside of the bag. Any reasoning behind that?

Yeah I know what you’re saying. When I watched Steve’s pack dump for his sheep trip in a 3200 I was amazed. I did pick up a tip in that video I put all my food in gallon zip locks and made them in brick shapes so I could stack them with no wastes space.

However I still maxed out a 4800 on a 7 day trip. I do not use load shelf or strap things to outside. I like a neat pack with nothing hanging off it. I figure if I need to use load shelf to start my hunt, my pack is too small. I too am using the lightest ultra light gear. I do not pack extra clothes. I wear the only clothes on my body for 7 days. I personally think 5000cu.in is a good average size for most for up to 7 days.

judders87

FNG
I started using an eVent compression bag for my sleeping bag and gained a lot of room. Kinda trade ounces for ounces though for getting a smaller bag but usually leave my stuff at a spike camp throughout the day so you maybe can consider it a weight savings overall. Plus piece of mind my sleeping bag will stay dry.

It's certainly at the very least a 3-5 day pack for just about anyone and obviously depending on how you pack could go much longer. I had zero issues loading up for a 10 day Dall sheep hunt in the 3600 I took out last year. I shot a video where I loaded everything into the current K3 3200 to show it can be done. I definitely hunt with a less is more mentality though and take just the bare essentials to say comfortable out there. Everyone is different in that regard.

Man the K4 is looking great! Steve it looks like you stuck with a similar design to the K3 lid. Had seen prototypes where the zipper was in a different location whether it was on top or more towards the outside of the bag. Any reasoning behind that?

Yeah the final lid ending up being very simiar to K3, just improved on it some with a few things. We prototyped lots of different ideas / concepts but after doing that the general consensus was most guys like the K3 lid the most.