exo mountain pack

The bag is made of waterproof material however the snowcollar and lid are not so when rain falls from above (like it almost always does) it works its way through the lid and into the bag. I think the waterproof material on the back part that goes against the frame makes sense but without at least waterproof material on the underside of the lid I think the rest of the bag being waterproof material is just a waste of expensive material and adds weight. A pack cover or dry bags will suit you well. I would suggest the pack cover. I still use dry bags more for organization than anything. I didn't have a pack cover yet on my first scouting trip this year and left the vehicle in a hard rain, hiked 5 miles and had water pooled in my pack bag by the time I reached my camping location for the night.

Liosis

FNG
^^^ That's another good point...I'd just prefer the pack came with a rain cover instead of the waterproof material. I think they could be doing some things better, and they will as they continue to produce the pack, that being said...still the best pack for my needs that I have ever used.

twall13

WKR
The bag is made of waterproof material however the snowcollar and lid are not so when rain falls from above (like it almost always does) it works its way through the lid and into the bag. I think the waterproof material on the back part that goes against the frame makes sense but without at least waterproof material on the underside of the lid I think the rest of the bag being waterproof material is just a waste of expensive material and adds weight. A pack cover or dry bags will suit you well. I would suggest the pack cover. I still use dry bags more for organization than anything. I didn't have a pack cover yet on my first scouting trip this year and left the vehicle in a hard rain, hiked 5 miles and had water pooled in my pack bag by the time I reached my camping location for the night.
I think the point of the waterproof fabric was to protect your gear on the inside from blood when hauling meat. Waterproof equals bloodproof. That it adds some water resistance is a plus in my book even though I'll likely use small dry bags inside mine for both added protection and organization.

Liosis

FNG
The biggest plus in my mind to the waterproof material besides being blood proof, is that I run a bladder outside of the main compartment, and if it ever leaks, bursts, etc. (which mine inevitably seem to do)...then the contents of the pack are still protected. I guess I do like the waterproof material...just need to still run a rain cover and or dry bags.

Twall13 that's what I tried to explain with the unnecessary material. The entire bag is xpac except the lid and collar. The only parts that need to be for blood/bladder in load sling protection is the back and bottom. So I see this as an area weight and cost can be dropped if another material was used. Or add xpac to the bottom of the lid to complete the protection. Overall it's the best pack I have used and the only other pack I would consider but have not tried is Stone Glacier.

twall13

WKR
That makes sense. I have a pack ordered but haven't handled one in person yet so I guess I missed what you were getting at. I'll have to update my thoughts on it when my pack arrives in a couple more weeks. The wait is killing me.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
My 3500 will hopefully be shipping this week. Anyone received there 2015's yet? I seen the video taken at the show in salt lake just curious if any one has any "hands on" thoughts on the changes that were made?

My 3500 will hopefully be shipping this week. Anyone received there 2015's yet? I seen the video taken at the show in salt lake just curious if any one has any "hands on" thoughts on the changes that were made?

Lucky! Mine is due the week of the 9th... need to hurry up and get it so I can go shed hunting :)

mauidiver

WKR
This pack is getting some awesome reviews. For a new company, they seemed to nail this one. Now being able to supply the demand is another question. What a horrible thing to have as an owner. Ha!

Any insights as to why they switched to hook&loop for suspension attachment? Seems more adjustable but is it solid long term? I don't have any experience with multiple large loads over a few years use and the durability/longevity of the hook&loop so I am just wondering.

twall13

WKR
Any insights as to why they switched to hook&loop for suspension attachment? Seems more adjustable but is it solid long term? I don't have any experience with multiple large loads over a few years use and the durability/longevity of the hook&loop so I am just wondering.

Doesn't Stone Glacier use hook and loop as well? I don't have any experience with it either but maybe someone can chime in on it's longevity. In all reality, once I have it set for me I probably won't be adjusting it ever again so I can't imagine it would wear out. I see hook and loop wearing out over time when it is constantly being detached and reattached. Still, I'm curious about this change too. Maybe it had something to do with the old system squeaking over time?

Yes, SG also uses hook&loop. You are probably correct about wear from repeat separation so not an issue from that viewpoint. I wonder about slightly slipping out of place when bouncing down the trail with a heavy load, particularly when wet. Properly adjusted pack should eliminate most of that but again I have no experience and wonder? Maybe EXO had to change adjustment method due to hollow tube rather than solid rod titanium stays? Just curious. Still shopping and trying to decide on a pack.

twall13

WKR
Hopefully they get the new website up and running soon and hopefully it includes some videos on fitting the pack as well as how the new packs do hauling heavy loads, similar to the old pack videos. I think that would be really helpful to see.

Last edited:

Pretty sure when Steve gets a chance to reply it will be because they were fixing the squeaking problem once heavy loads were hauled. I also see this new attachment system being a little more stable or offering less potential for lateral load shift between the straps and your back. It could just be me but that is always the toughest part to control on a pack for me. Even with heavy loads my shoulder straps like to try and shift left to right on my shoulder blades when I have to lean to one side or the other or over and under logs etc. I'm not saying my original frame has much shift but if i really try it will shift some. I haven't actually noticed it when packing just when trying to simulate anything I might have to do with the pack on.

Good insight dover. Sounds reasonable. Maybe Steve will offer an explanation and describe the advantages when he gets a chance. I'm sure he's pretty busy.

Good insight dover. Sounds reasonable. Maybe Steve will offer an explanation and describe the advantages when he gets a chance. I'm sure he's pretty busy.

Sorry I haven't been on here much recently, things have been incredibly busy the last few weeks and we just started shipping 2015 packs this week.

We changed to the Velcro and metal G-hook attachment on the shoulder harness to eliminate the squeak that developed in the old shoulder harness. It wasn't a very common problem last year, maybe happened to 15% of the guys who had the pack but that was definitely enough for Lenny and I to address the problem and change it. There is nothing more annoying than squeaky pack.

The Velcro we use is incredibly strong military grade, the shear strength is 20lbs per square inch. A shoulder harness even at the very top of the adjustment range will have 18 square inches of contact so it would take 360lbs before the velcro would separate. Most guys in the 17-19" torso range that number will be 5-600lbs. That also doesn't include the metal G-hook system we put in place as a back up, it also serves as a catch so when picking the pack up off the ground you aren't pulling on the velcro just on the metal hook.

As far as the life of the velcro I can't remember the exact specs but it was something in the 1000's of cycles before it ever starts breaking down. The average guy in the life of the pack will maybe adjust that 100 times at most. We have tested the velcro in a lot of different situations: below zero temps, soaking wet, etc and the performance was not affected at all.

Also the velcro does give a more positive attachment to the frame panel than our old system and under heavy loads feels better in our opinion. Not a dramatic difference but noticeable.

We are working away right now to get videos, pics, specs etc posted up as soon as we can. The new website should be ready next week and I'll make sure to post up on here when its live.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you Steve. Sounds pretty logical and well thought out. Glad to hear your response to the squeak brought other improvements with it.