How do we get a heavy (120+ grain) 6mm bullet made?

Dobie07

FNG
With the shift to smaller calibers I’ve been analyzing bullet B.C.s a lot for .22 cal thru 7mm. What I’ve noticed is that while there are some great bullet options in the low to mid .5 bc range for 6mm there really isn’t much in the .6’s for 6mm. While for .257 and 6.5 there are options in the mid to upper .6’s. And while some of that is due to the bigger bullets in those calibers, it feels like there’s a gap between the 6mm and .257 heavy for caliber bullets. It seems like there is an opportunity for a bullet to be made in the 118-122 grain range for a 6mm (think 120 grain Hornady eldm) pushed by some of these new “magnum” 6mm wildcats ( 6 UM, 6 SAUM, 6-7prc, 6-6.5 PRC).

I’ve also observed that there are some well connected individuals on here that when supported by the rokslide collective can bring some cool new stuff to market. As such, I’m asking for the group how would we get a mid .6’s 120 ish grain 6mm bullet made?

Axlrod

WKR
The squeaking wheel gets greased. We have to start bugging companies about this need.
Am I wrong thinking Hornady is the beast option? Sierra is out of several bullets i use regularly for 3 year stretches, and Berger is only marginally better. Or are there any boutique bullet makers out there such as Black hole in Post Falls that could do it?

gbflyer

WKR
It would get really long, but the Swiss lathe copper guys could make them with a few flicks of the keyboard.

180ls1

WKR
$$$ gets you anything you want. I am sure you could get some custom ones.

That said, nothing wrong with the .257 stuff. Its SO close to a 6mm I doubt you'll notice the difference.

am I the only one that thinks hugely overbore 7 twist or faster 6mms and a 120 ELDm sounds like a recipe for a bunch of bullets going poof before they hit the target?

Sounds a little much. 112-115s would maybe interest me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
am I the only one that thinks hugely overbore 7 twist or faster 6mms and a 120 ELDm sounds like a recipe for a bunch of bullets going poof before they hit the target?

Basically all other diameters have higher form factors than 6mm. There are .224 bullets with higher BC’s than all but one 6mm on the market. There’s no reason that there aren’t multiple low to mid .600 BC 6mm bullets.

A 110-115gr 6mm is about like a 130-135gr 6.5mm, or a 150gr 7mm, or 190gr 30cal.

OP
Dobie07

Dobie07

FNG

It seems like a 7.5 twist at the velocities were talking about would be stable. I’d imagine bullet construction would determine whether they’d stay together or not.IMG_3310.png

It’s funny that this got posted I was just talking to a friend of mine that has all of the Corbin bullet dies/press stuff to make a 6mm rebated boat tail bullet. I need to look into some jackets and such along with some research to see what it would take to make a 120 grain bullet survive the 6UM.

crich

WKR
Basically all other diameters have higher form factors than 6mm. There are .224 bullets with higher BC’s than all but one 6mm on the market. There’s no reason that there aren’t multiple low to mid .600 BC 6mm bullets.

A 110-115gr 6mm is about like a 130-135gr 6.5mm, or a 150gr 7mm, or 190gr 30cal.
Sounds like an opportunity for Hornady to continue the pattern and create a new bullet around a 6PRC line.

DaleW

WKR
With how popular 6mm are getting I wouldn't be surprised if berger comes out with one in their eol or lrht lines of bullets.

Axlrod

WKR
Tubb gets dtacs made by Sierra right?
Yes.
The difference between Dtacs and bullets that Sierra makes with their own label is, Tubb orders a lot of bullets- enough to last between multiple year breaks in production runs. Sierra has no clue on how many of any particular bullet to make when they run their own.

I don't pretend to know the why's of bullet production, but some companies have a better production capacity vs number of products ratio. Just looking on Midway, Sierra is out of stock on 70 out of 188 different Sku's listed. Berger is out of 78 out of 138 Sku's To compare Hornady is out of stock on 5 out of 201 Sku's.