Extra wide sleeping bag… am I crazy?

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I went to REI and laid down in a “wide” model Magma 15 bag. It has a 70 inch girth at the shoulders. It seals up really well at the top though with a nice baffle and the hood is really comfortable. I’m 5’10” and 190 lbs… so I could lose a few lbs, but I’m not sure I need such a big bag. That being said, it was really comfortable, and I could see it working really well as a side sleeper.

Am I crazy for considering at such a wide bag for three season backpacking?

Just note that wider bags take longer to heat up and aren't as efficient as a properly fitted bag. Definitely a sweet spot between not feeling claustrophobic and having extra space to have to heat

Just note that wider bags take longer to heat up and aren't as efficient as a properly fitted bag. Definitely a sweet spot between not feeling claustrophobic and having extra space to have to heat
That's exactly my concern. The weight is pretty reasonably, but 70 inches is pretty huge.

I second ZenBivy!

There is a sweet spot for size and warmth. Go too big and you will get a lot of cold spots. I sometimes use a really wide version for summer/early fall and will use a more properly fitted version for late fall/early winter. Pad r value plays a HUGE roll as well.

I had El Coyote build me an extra wide and extra long quilt. I'm 100% a side sleeper, and its the most comfortable camping sleep I've ever had. That being said, I went a little too big, the extra wide is more bulk than I really need. I'm 6'3", 220, so I'd go long again, but regular width, especially in a quilt. In a mummy bag, I'd probably need the extra width to be anywhere near comfortable.

I absolutely hate mummy style bags. I prefer a wide bag and a full rectangle. If it’s bigger then I stuff a few extra clothes in it to take up some space. A good pad is a must.

The mummy bag shape is terrible for my weird side sleeping style. I bought a WM sequoia because of its wide layout and have loved it. It’s a 5 degree bag and I’ve spent probably 10 nights right around 5 degrees. I have noticed cold spots, but ended up just tossing a down jacket loose in the bag with me and it seemed to find and fill voids pretty well.

I’m also a side sleeper so I wouldn’t mind a little more room to be comfortable. I’m also short as all get out and would rather a little extra girth than at least a foot of bag I would never use. Nemo has a “spoon” shape that seems to be a good fit for my style of sleeping, but they don’t make anything for my 5’4” frame. I either have to get a custom bag, or get a women’s bag.

I cant compare to anything else so take it for what its worth. But, I cannot sleep in mummy bags, its a solid no go.
I bought a wiggys rectangular and LOVE it.

If you want some room in a bag, you might look at the Big Agnes Anvil Horn bags. I'm 6'3", 310lbs (think NFL lineman) and I bought the wide version, which has an 80" shoulder width. I had plenty of room, and with the drawstring closure for the face opening I can configure it to whatever opening I wish for the way I'm sleeping, which is usually on my side. The bag has a really nice system for enclosing and attaching your sleeping pad too, so it never gets away from you and you can't fall off of it. I have their Boundary Boundary Deluxe pad in the 30"x78" size, and the Anvil Horn is designed to fit it or a 25" width great. The Anvil Horn version I got is a 15F bag; I think they make a 0F as well. Good luck in your search!

Zen Bivy looks nice, but they've lost their mind on their new ultra light quilt costs. XL quilt in a 10 degree version is like $769. That's just for the quilt part. No sheet or pad. No thanks on that one.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Back