Fasted exercise and fat loss

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah sometimes a control C and shift insert is all you need when a source makes a point clearer than you can with fewer words.

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
yeah sometimes a control C and shift insert is all you need when a source makes a point clearer than you can with fewer words.
...you know what the "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License" is about"? ....

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
no sir, but i googled it...

here ya go:

Lipolysis. To obtain energy from fat, triglycerides must first be broken down by hydrolysis into their two principal components, fatty acids and glycerol. This process, called lipolysis, takes place in the cytoplasm. The resulting fatty acids are oxidized by β-oxidation into acetyl CoA, which is used by the Krebs cycle ...

Lipid Metabolism | Anatomy and Physiology II - Lumen Learning​

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn’t the point of fasted low intensity workouts is to maximize the body’s ability to use fat as fuel—aerobic metabolism pathway—not to boost weight loss or fat loss?

it definitely is for many endurance athletes

when you start getting into events that last 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours and even multiple days- definitely advantageous if you're burning fat efficiently

uphill athlete has several pieces on the subject; they do stress that this fasted morning exercise should be low intensity and shorter in duration (under 2 hours)

I don't think they even mention fat loss in their discussions

40 days and no food? How did you not die?
Depending on your current body composition, it can be very safe.. There was a dude who didn't eat for something like a year but he was also 200ish # overweight and he lost basically all that extra weight without dying. If you believe any part of the Bible, Jesus did it; so there's that

Overcoming your hunger is very much a mental game. I used to think that doing a 24 fast was hard and now i can do it without thinking other than reminding myself that i'm not supposed to eat.. Eating(at least in the USA) is very much a habit and not a need. Now I generally fast for 48 hours. I'd like to do a 72 or 96 hour fast but it seems like whenever I fast, i get roped into going out to dinner with friends when I'm at the 48 hour mark

Last edited:
Speaking of fasting...

When I feel like I need to drop a few pounds I eat on a schedule I call "Rob Lowing it". Loosely based on what Rob Lowe mentioned he does on the JRE podcast.

Sun: Normal
Mon: Fast until dinner.
Tue: Fast until lunch.
Wed: Fast until dinner.
Thur: Fast until lunch.
Fri: Fast until dinner.
Sat: Normal

This schedule works pretty well with my 6-day physical training. You're never fasted more than 24 hours. Nothing about it is extreme, but M/W/F is different than my typical skip breakfast routine. I've never been a breakfast eater anyways so intermittent fasting is pretty natural.

Maybe it's mental, and maybe I haven't stuck with it long enough, but I see moderate spikes in blood pressure during 24 hour fasts and I also think it lowers my immune system. Has anyone else experienced this? Could simply be increased stress over the last 9 months.

Vandy321

WKR
Depending on your current body composition, it can be very safe.. There was a dude who didn't eat for something like a year but he was also 200ish # overweight and he lost basically all that extra weight without dying. If you believe any part of the Bible, Jesus did it; so there's that

Overcoming your hunger is very much a mental game. I used to think that doing a 24 fast was hard and now i can do it without thinking other than reminding myself that i'm not supposed to eat.. Eating(at least in the USA) is very much a habit and not a need. Now I generally fast for 48 hours. I'd like to do a 72 or 96 hour fast but it seems like whenever I fast, i get roped into going out to dinner with friends when I'm at the 48 hour mark
There is nothing "safe" or smart about going 40 days without food. Can you survive, yes, with adequate water, but lets not call it safe.

I do IF and often a 48 hour reset as well, but there is zero science that says it's safe to fast for 40 days, and nothing I've read says there ate any benefits to over a 3 day fast to reset

Andrew Huberman (Stanford, big-brain type) has a podcast on fasting citing a ton of peer reviewed studies/results, it's a great. Takes the bro science out of fasting and goes in depth to the bodies response at a neurological level

Last edited:

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm well aware of the 40 day fast in the Bible. I think it's foolish for a man to try and replicate it. I did not consider an obeast person could pull it off without major issues. I keep my fasting to a day or less. I like to eat.